Consistent Inconsistency - Get Use To It

22 minutes ago, Eightace said:

Well for instance a striker who finishes more consistently will have a better chance of playing in the premier League.

Bannan at his best could play there.

Like a player can score a worldy in league two once in his career but a good player can get a couple of those in the top league every season.

I could do a cruyff turn then lob the keeper from 25 yards(I have done) but I couldn't do it every week because I'm crap and not consistent.

Convinced yet lol

I know what you're saying, but I still disagree.

Even with the striker analogy... there's a plenty of strikers down the leagues that consistently score goals. Doesn't mean they'll replicate that consistency in the highest league.

It's all relative to the level you are playing in. 

Prime example was Cardiff last season. Not one of those players you'd class as Premier League players...but they had a squad that we're able to consistently perform in the Championship to get promotion. So, although the Championship may be perceived as a division where anybody can beat anyone (I don't disagree)...there are still more consistent teams than others.

And my point is...the likelihood is (and that's all it is) because of our current situation...embargoes, squad in transition, young players cutting their teeth, squad players utilised... our consistency will suffer. And instead of calling for the manager's head after one poor game, and then lumping on £100 for promotion following a good performance...let's just accept that this is, in all likelihood, how this season is going to pan out...and enjoy it for what it is. 

19 minutes ago, Eightace said:

I'm not good at explaining what I mean sometimes but consistency has to play a part in the level a player plays at.

Two players ,both with Bannan like ability and both good athletes, the one who can do it more often goes on to play at better level or team surely.

I agree with that... insomuch that inconsistent players are harder to rely on...and therefore less likely to be trusted by their manager.

Also, consistent performers are more likely to be signed by other managers. Of course, just because a player is consistent at Championship level, doens't necessarily mean they will be at Premier League level. 

I suppose, it's a fair assumption to make, that the more games where Bannan, Reach, Lees and Forestieri perform...the better season we'll have. But, to balance that, we'll still have a handful of youngsters playing week in week out.

14 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Would disagree that we've been inconsistent 

2nd in the form table over the last 6 games 

4th over the last 12

6th over the last 20

Surely by definition that's highly consistent play-off form over a shorter, medium and longer term timeframe?

The nine games this season have been the epitome of inconsistency. 

But, that doesn't mean it needs to be doom and gloom...as those stats prove. We just need to be slightly less inconsistent than other sides.

1 hour ago, brando said:

Forest was a shocker,rested players,why ?only a few games into season,we were awful at home to Hull,

Well, maybe Jos rested players at Forest because we'd played just a few days previously and had another game a few days afterwards. Maybe after all the injury problems we had last year he simply wants to manage the squad more carefully.

We weren't awful against Hull. If Fletcher had been match fit and sharp we would most likely have won that one.

Personally I'm happy with where we are right now; we're actually doing better than I expected under the circumstances. For me, this season and possibly next as well is all about rebuilding, so I'm fully expecting a few setbacks and sticky patches. 

8 hours ago, frastheowl said:

We are now nine games into the season. We've played four home games, five away. We've played a fairly even representation of quality of teams.

And we've had a range of standards of performances...and results.

The Shockers

Wigan - Away

Brentford - Away

Forest - Away

The Impressive Displays

Milwall - Home

Reading - Away

Villa - Away

The Meh

Hull - Home

Ipswich - Home

Stoke - Home

In all likelihood, this is going to be the story of our season. And it's nothing, many of us, didn't expect. We're a young side, and as a club, were going through a transitional phase which could last a couple of season. 

Instead of criticising the manager, the players, other fans, every time we get a performance that drops below the expected, OR, 

...instead of going overboard, expecting promotion, and getting carried away every-time we see a performance exceed the expected...

why not just accept, that this is how the season is going to pan out?

And the remarkable thing is, despite a tremendously inconsistent start, we are still in a great position. A genuine positivity around the club, a siege mentality, a "what will be" attitude, could quite easily translate to us seeing slightly more of the Impressive Displays, than The Shockers

Jos is a steady hand...he's no mug, he knows what required. And despite him not jumping around on the touchline like a lunatic, he's shown enough during his time here, that he's putting the long-term future of the club before short-termism. We have a mix of players that range from young kids finding their feet in the game, experienced Championship players who are relied heavily upon to lift the team and drive standards up, and players who have been in and out of the side over the past 2-3 seasons. Our squad is inconsistent...anything other than inconsistency in performances, would be outside the norm. 

We're in the middle of a set of fixtures, where we can thrive as underdogs...let's embrace it, enjoy it and allow this transition go as smoothly as possible. 

You could say this about all of the teams above us apart from Middlesbrough.

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

As long as I remember it's always been the Wednesday way... End the top of the tables unbeaten run then lose to a team 2nd bottom for their first win of the season that's how we've alwady been, so nothing new there lol

Been that way for the whole 54 years I've been supporting us ffs. Ya gorra laugh or ya'd end up in the asylum lol . And I don't mean Owlstalk lol lol 

FFS

16 hours ago, brando said:

Wigan was a shocker,Forest was a shocker,rested players,why ?only a few games into season,we were awful at home to Hull,etc,take it for what it is we have been shybo this year,team is swapped and changed for no reason,if we finish mid table we have done ok,top 6 no way and yes I go all the time.not a keyboard warrior like most who think were doing well,long season,we will see

Do you not realise how difficult it must have been working under the conditions of the embargo was it limited contract renewals and everything club could do in market. It was not lifted until after start of season. To keep a team together and trying hard under such circumstances is nigh on impossible. I am surprised if you go to games you can not see uplift in some players performances, To give new players and youth a chance they have to be played and team changed to allow this. Match day conditions are difficult to replicate so team changes are inevitable. Also the previous manager played essentially the same style every game we were predictable and teams knew how to play against us. Good managers vary format so that are not predictable and difficult for opponents to plan for. For example Klopp at Liverpool changes team set up (slightly) every game. 

If you believe a player should play regardless of recovery condition you really have no idea and you need to sit down and start reading some literature on how football players are managed in 21st Century.

Rotation obviously doesn’t help with consistency. I understand the need to keep players fresh, but with only nine games played, and two autumn international breaks, do we really have to make wholesale changes? A couple of players rested per game, if needed, is fine, but four or five changes, I’m not sure. Even Barcelona with their squad, seem to suffer when the coach makes wholesale changes

Difficult to predict much to be honest. We have returning players that could improve things even more, we may gettter better as the season goes on, who knows? So many different variables to take into account.  

One things for certain, despite people’s views we are 4 points off top and thus we can say despite a relatively inconsistent start, it’s not significantly different to the rest of the league. The deciding factor in all of this will be the team(s) who begin to hit some sort of consistency from now until the end of the season. Thanks to Jos (his staff), the team

and us fans, we still find ourselves in a position to be one of those teams. 

Whatevsr happens, it’s important to stick together.