Consistent Inconsistency - Get Use To It

We are now nine games into the season. We've played four home games, five away. We've played a fairly even representation of quality of teams.

And we've had a range of standards of performances...and results.

The Shockers

Wigan - Away

Brentford - Away

Forest - Away

The Impressive Displays

Milwall - Home

Reading - Away

Villa - Away

The Meh

Hull - Home

Ipswich - Home

Stoke - Home

In all likelihood, this is going to be the story of our season. And it's nothing, many of us, didn't expect. We're a young side, and as a club, were going through a transitional phase which could last a couple of season. 

Instead of criticising the manager, the players, other fans, every time we get a performance that drops below the expected, OR, 

...instead of going overboard, expecting promotion, and getting carried away every-time we see a performance exceed the expected...

why not just accept, that this is how the season is going to pan out?

And the remarkable thing is, despite a tremendously inconsistent start, we are still in a great position. A genuine positivity around the club, a siege mentality, a "what will be" attitude, could quite easily translate to us seeing slightly more of the Impressive Displays, than The Shockers

Jos is a steady hand...he's no mug, he knows what required. And despite him not jumping around on the touchline like a lunatic, he's shown enough during his time here, that he's putting the long-term future of the club before short-termism. We have a mix of players that range from young kids finding their feet in the game, experienced Championship players who are relied heavily upon to lift the team and drive standards up, and players who have been in and out of the side over the past 2-3 seasons. Our squad is inconsistent...anything other than inconsistency in performances, would be outside the norm. 

We're in the middle of a set of fixtures, where we can thrive as underdogs...let's embrace it, enjoy it and allow this transition go as smoothly as possible. 

Edited by frastheowl
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

We are doing well already in my opinion, after a slow start in 1st 3 games we are 2nd in the form table so I'd say we are already building and have become more consistent yet with one blip.

All teams have blips, even auto promo sides. If we can get the job done in 5 of every 6 games for the rest of the season we will get top 6 minimum, probably auto promotion. I've a very good feeling about our chances, not demanding it but remain hopeful.

But we all know it's the hope that kills you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

We are now nine games into the season. We've played four home games, five away. We've played a fairly even representation of quality of teams.

The Shockers

Wigan - Away

Brentford - Away

Forest - Away

The Impressive Displays

Milwall - Home

Reading - Away

Villa - Away

The Meh

Hull - Home

Ipswich - Home

Stoke - Home

In all likelihood, this is going to be the story of our season. And it's nothing, many of us, didn't expect. We're a young side, and as a club, were going through a transitional phase which could last a couple of season. 

Instead of criticising the manager, the players, other fans, every time we get a performance that drops below the expected, OR, 

...instead of going overboard, expecting promotion, and getting carried away every-time we see a performance exceed the expected...

And the remarkable thing is, despite a tremendously inconsistent start, we are still in a great position. A genuine positivity around the club, a siege mentality, a "what will be" attitude, could quite easily translate to us seeing slightly more of the Impressive Displays, than The Shockers

Jos is a steady hand...he's no mug, he knows what required. And despite him not jumping around on the touchline like a lunatic, he's shown enough during his time here, that he's putting the long-term future of the club before short-termism. We have a mix of players that range from young kids finding their feet in the game, experienced Championship players who are relied heavily upon to lift the team and drive standards up, and players who have been in and out of the side over the past 2-3 seasons. Our squad is inconsistent...anything other than inconsistency in performances, would be outside the norm. 

We're in the middle of a set of fixtures, where we can thrive as underdogs...let's embrace it, enjoy it and allow this transition go as smoothly as possible. 

Just like every season for every club who don't move leagues.  

Agree with most of this.

The really good performances like yesterday and Millwall came after two performances in which we seemed to 'give up' after the opposition scoring a 2nd goal (Forest and Brentford respectively), but also after Jos has criticised the team heavily in interview. I assume he wasn't just saying this to the press but also saying it to the players.

It's good then, that Jos is able to inspire these kind of 'reaction' performances from the players off the back of his criticism, and I also liked that after Jos challenged Reach to drive the game more after the Forest performance that we saw just such a performance from him yesterday.

For me, there's a hope then, that we can actually start to move away from the 'consistent inconsistency' and towards performances where more of the players are able and willing to step forward and take responsibility in games. Not just Reach yesterday, but Pelupessy, Matias, Fletcher, Pudil, and Lees all had what you could argue were their season's best performances for us (all senior players too, might I add).

I do not think Wigan away was a shocker and think there has been steady improvement. Also think Jos is still finding out about how combinations of players actually play. In Forest game he rested some players (which was understandable) and tried Onomah Bannan combination in centre of midfield which demonstrated need for true defensive midfield player in that area. I think this was one of main reasons for poor performance in BB was forced deep and to do a lot of defending. and it also resulted in a disconnect between defensive midfield and attacking midfield and a couple of players Matias and Reach had off day. The replacements at full back were not as good.

We are in a process of building a team and introducing new players requires patience and days will occur when things do not work.

• Like 1

I’d like to see a more consistent consistent inconsistency instead of this inconsistent consistent inconsistency we are seeing at the moment. 

It it just beggars belief that someone at the club can’t to get to grips with this appalling state of affairs.

We are not asking for much.

54 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

The Shockers

Wigan - Away

Brentford - Away

Forest - Away

The Impressive Displays

Milwall - Home

Reading - Away

Villa - Away

The Meh

Hull - Home

Ipswich - Home

Stoke - Home

Great post.

As a fanbase we seem to be caught in this doom or glory cycle; when we lose the wheels are falling off and Jos hasn't a clue, when we win, people talk about having finally found a formula and we are gonna win the league. I'm really not sure it's healthy.

As you rightly point out, we are in a period of transition, and while Jos is handling admirably, there are always going to be bumps in the road. Once people get their heads round this it actually makes following Wednesday a lot less painful; defeats are just part of the inconsistency of the transition and wins are just there to be enjoyed!

I think we'll finish in midtable this season, while bringing through some great prospects and having the odd cracking performance (like yesterday) along the way... Let's just try and enjoy it!

• Haha 1

we are going to be inconsistent but I feel we could help ourselves by at least being consistent in the formation and tactics we choose.

I know we have had good and bad performances playing 4 at the back and the same playing 5 at the back but I feel it would help the players if we could at least have a formation which is our preferred choice so that we can work and improve at that formation.

Of course if your players don't perform then you are going to lose irrespective however I can't think of many teams that continually switch their defence formation like we do with subsequent knock ons further up the pitch

5 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Wigan wasn't  a shocker, Brentford was.  We didn’t really turn up at Forest. 

A lot will depend on player fitness and how JL rotates etc.

When fully fit, we have enough talent to challenge..it whether we see the best of it that will determine where we finish. 

I thought Wigan was just as bad as Forest, didn't go to Brentford .

Yep we scored a couple of goals because it was a much more open game but they battered us and should have scored 6 , the defence that day was awful, much worse than against Forest.

My point is...stop with the over reactions. 

We we are going to lose games & play poorly. It’s what generally happens in periods of instability and when young players are finding their feet in the game. 

(And Wigan was a shocker. Defensively the worst display of the season...by a country mile. We were utterly abject from an organisational standpoint that game.)

I think it's the way this league is.

Teams like villa and Derby have good players but they are hit and miss too.

You have players who aren't in the premier League because they lack consistency.

I think confidence is what we lack at times. We have technically good players but like Jos said, they need to believe more.

2 hours ago, Eightace said:

You have players who aren't in the premier League because they lack consistency.

I think confidence is what we lack at times. We have technically good players but like Jos said, they need to believe more.

That's not really true is it?

It's all relative to the level you're playing.

Extreme example...Lincoln are top of League Two, picked up 22pts from 9 games, have shown extreme consistency. Doesn't mean any of those players will play in the Premier League, does it?

4 hours ago, frastheowl said:

The Shockers

Wigan - Away

Brentford - Away

Forest - Away

The Impressive Displays

Milwall - Home

Reading - Away

Villa - Away

The Meh

Hull - Home

Ipswich - Home

Stoke - Home

Give over, don't you understand how Internet era football works? 

We win a game = best thing since Brazil 1970

Lose = knives are out for everyone from Chansiri down to the tea lady. 

Take your common sense approach elsewhere pal, I'm off to book an open top bus for May WTF:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Quist said:

I do not think Wigan away was a shocker and think there has been steady improvement. Also think Jos is still finding out about how combinations of players actually play. In Forest game he rested some players (which was understandable) and tried Onomah Bannan combination in centre of midfield which demonstrated need for true defensive midfield player in that area. I think this was one of main reasons for poor performance in BB was forced deep and to do a lot of defending. and it also resulted in a disconnect between defensive midfield and attacking midfield and a couple of players Matias and Reach had off day. The replacements at full back were not as good.

We are in a process of building a team and introducing new players requires patience and days will occur when things do not work.

Wigan was a shocker,Forest was a shocker,rested players,why ?only a few games into season,we were awful at home to Hull,etc,take it for what it is we have been shybo this year,team is swapped and changed for no reason,if we finish mid table we have done ok,top 6 no way and yes I go all the time.not a keyboard warrior like most who think were doing well,long season,we will see

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Eightace said:

confidence,surely the manager should build this,ask Warnock

1 hour ago, frastheowl said:

That's not really true is it?

It's all relative to the level you're playing.

Extreme example...Lincoln are top of League Two, picked up 22pts from 9 games, have shown extreme consistency. Doesn't mean any of those players will play in the Premier League, does it?

Well for instance a striker who finishes more consistently will have a better chance of playing in the premier League.

Bannan at his best could play there.

Like a player can score a worldy in league two once in his career but a good player can get a couple of those in the top league every season.

I could do a cruyff turn then lob the keeper from 25 yards(I have done) but I couldn't do it every week because I'm crap and not consistent.

Convinced yet lol