Todays attendance

5 minutes ago, torres said:

We’ve got a brilliant core of supporters.

20k season ticket holders in this division when we’ve done nothing for a very long time is a great effort.

Even more so when they are one of the most expensive in the league 

We’ve also got one of the biggest part time contingents in the league. I don’t think they’d turn up on a consistent basis if it were free. 

Wheres the evidence to back that up?

Why don’t people understand that football has moved on since we were in the prem. if ticket prices were reasonable and or we were in the prem the attendance would shoot ho.

Football has gone up so much in popularity. Not just globally but nationally. I know loads of people who have picked up an interest the last few years that either despised football or had nothing to do with it. 

Theres a reason why attendances of similar sized clubs is well up in the top division.

To use attendances two decades ago when we were in the top divisional some sort of benchmark is nothing short of idiotic.

Compaines and markets grow. 

1 minute ago, jonesy87shef said:

Why don’t people understand that football has moved on since we were in the prem. if ticket prices were reasonable and or we were in the prem the attendance would shoot ho.

Football has gone up so much in popularity. Not just globally but nationally. I know loads of people who have picked up an interest the last few years that either despised football or had nothing to do with it. 

Theres a reason why attendances of similar sized clubs is well up in the top division.

To use attendances two decades ago when we were in the top divisional some sort of benchmark is nothing short of idiotic.

Compaines and markets grow. 

I'll stand by my comments that make me an "idiot",the only way this "argument" will be settled  is by us getting there,and having 35,000 EVERY home game,not just when m.utd,m.city,liverfool,arsenal,toottenham,et al turn up.......................................35,000 against bournemouth,west ham and the likes,no chance.

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Can you stop blaming Carlos for everything. What were the attendances like in the season before Carlos took over? Did he not help to attract fans back in that first season and numbers now are still above what they were before him.

Yes he should have been dismissed earlier but the sooner we move on from him and stop blaming everything on him the better.

I think everyone finds it very evident that we're still clearing up his mess in a big way

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

I'll stand by my comments that make me an "idiot",the only way this "argument" will be settled  is by us getting there,and having 35,000 EVERY home game,not just when m.utd,m.city,liverfool,arsenal,toottenham,et al turn up.......................................35,000 against bournemouth,west ham and the likes,no chance.

Apolologies, not calling you an idiot. I’m saying your opinion is. I’ll have some daft opinions too. Doesn’t mean I’m a stupid person. 

Just basing an opinion on information from 20 years ago on a product that has boomed and had huge growth isn’t the smartest thing to do.

Why are you plucking 35,000 out of the air? I never suggested we’d fill the stadium. An increase of 20% to 30,000 is more than achievable if we got promoted and or reduced ticket prices. I’d assume that plenty of clubs would bring more away fans too.

5 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Fair enough comment...I simply suggest figures from other clubs that have recently been in the Prem would say we probably would...

Of course if you have an opinion that Wednesday would "buck the trend", thats no problem..I simply think football has changed radically since we last paid a visit...figures from

Norwich

southampton

derby

and a host of others say different...its based on figures not opinions, and seeing as your scenario is years away , i'm debating it now on contemporary evidence...How else would it be done?

19 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

As a family we're now pay on the day, we're priced out of coming to more than a dozen home games a season.

I'm sure our chairman can live with that.

My season ticket cost about 12x yesterdays POTD price.  If you get to that many games, a ST would be better value.

Just now, jonesy87shef said:

Apolologies, not calling you an idiot. I’m saying your opinion is. I’ll have some daft opinions too. Doesn’t mean I’m a stupid person. 

Just basing an opinion on information from 20 years ago on a product that has boomed and had huge growth isn’t the smartest thing to do.

Why are you plucking 35,000 out of the air? I never suggested we’d fill the stadium. An increase of 20% to 30,000 is more than achievable if we got promoted and or reduced ticket prices. I’d assume that plenty of clubs would bring more away fans too.

Lets not get bogged down with who said what to who,i don't doubt there would be a few more through the door,35,000 seems to be a figure bandied about on here,still leaves 4000 empty seats of our original 39,000 capacity,there are those on here who have suggested we need an increased capacity brand new stadium,wtf.

I just cannot accept the reasoning for the "projected numbers thru the gates" because companies and markets grow.

As i've posted earlier,the only way to find out is for us to get there and sustain premier league staus.

1 minute ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Lets not get bogged down with who said what to who,i don't doubt there would be a few more through the door,35,000 seems to be a figure bandied about on here,still leaves 4000 empty seats of our original 39,000 capacity,there are those on here who have suggested we need an increased capacity brand new stadium,wtf.

I just cannot accept the reasoning for the "projected numbers thru the gates" because companies and markets grow.

As i've posted earlier,the only way to find out is for us to get there and sustain premier league staus.

We used to get 48k plus against Liverpool, Man U, etc. when football was on it'sarse in the 80's mate.  Why shouldn't we do it in the boom times.

14 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Fair enough comment...I simply suggest figures from other clubs that have recently been in the Prem would say we probably would...

Of course if you have an opinion that Wednesday would "buck the trend", thats no problem..I simply think football has changed radically since we last paid a visit...figures from

Norwich

southampton

derby

and a host of others say different...its based on figures not opinions, and seeing as your scenario is years away , i'm debating it now on contemporary evidence...How else would it be done?

Also a fair comment,we'll just have to wait and see.

4 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

We used to get 48k plus against Liverpool, Man U, etc. when football was on it'sarse in the 80's mate.  Why shouldn't we do it in the boom times.

Don't think we did sham mate

Sorry mate edited I thought you meant average

Edited by asteener1867

4 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Newcastle 1990-91

Both in the same league..we finished 3rd, they finished 11th

I think historically (before our crash) Newcastle, Wednesday, Villa etc, were similar size clubs.

Same season our average was 26,000 - Newcastle less than 17,000!

Ours is similar today...yet Newcastle now massive

1-newcastle.jpg

Think you're doing a Blunt type of statistic. We've never been near Tahn or Villa in the support stakes. Since 1950 we've had 8 averages over 30K (Blunts have 6 ). Villa have had 40 seasons and Newcastle 48.Don't go looking at the 40 and 50k plus averages  as it's much worse. Still Villa are from the second biggest city in Britain and Newcastle are a 1 city team with no real Prem competition in almost 150 miles, unless you count Burnley 120miles.

1 minute ago, DELUDED OWL said:

No I’d like to. I didn’t call you an idiot. I’ll just leave it at that. 

Homestly I’m sorry to be rude but it seems you’re just making things up. I don’t see 35,000 banded round on here. None of the posts were about filling the stadium, you’ve just now all of a sudden made that your point. Im talking about increased attendances. Somehow you’ve made it about adding 60% onto the gate. As for a new stadium with increased capacity I remember those threads and people were mainly suggesting lowering the capacity of the ground not increasing it. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am with this regards.

asteener has given you several examples of clubs growing attendances when gaining promotion. Those are facts. 

As you say the the only way to know 100% is to be promoted and see the numbers. Honestly though can’t you see the game has changed and there is an area of growth? 

It’s also not because ‘companies and markets grow’. It’s common sense. Some things thrive others fail. Football is getting more and more popular year on year. It’s there for all to see.

I’ll make up an example off the top of my head. Organic/vegan food won’t have been popular 2 decades ago. Now for some reason people care and it’s atteactive to them (not myself). Would a company launching a product in this market look at how a similar product did 20 years ago, or look at how similar products are doing the last few years in terms of their growth and popularity. 

6 minutes ago, DELUDED OWL said:

Aye,when ya could stand shoulder to shoulder,hardly the same now is it what with thoses pesky seats and that.

It was a response to  your quote about not needing extended capacity.  So, you've sort of made my point for me.  How about the 40k against Southampton, 42k v Newcastle and 45k v Burnley.  All when we were a 2nd Division side in the 80's.

2 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

No I’d like to. I didn’t call you an idiot. I’ll just leave it at that. 

Homestly I’m sorry to be rude but it seems you’re just making things up. I don’t see 35,000 banded round on here. None of the posts were about filling the stadium, you’ve just now all of a sudden made that your point. Im talking about increased attendances. Somehow you’ve made it about adding 60% onto the gate. As for a new stadium with increased capacity I remember those threads and people were mainly suggesting lowering the capacity of the ground not increasing it. I could be wrong but I don’t think I am with this regards.

asteener has given you several examples of clubs growing attendances when gaining promotion. Those are facts. 

As you say the the only way to know 100% is to be promoted and see the numbers. Honestly though can’t you see the game has changed and there is an area of growth? 

It’s also not because ‘companies and markets grow’. It’s common sense. Some things thrive others fail. Football is getting more and more popular year on year. It’s there for all to see.

I’ll make up an example off the top of my head. Organic/vegan food won’t have been popular 2 decades ago. Now for some reason people care and it’s atteactive to them (not myself). Would a company launching a product in this market look at how a similar product did 20 years ago, or look at how similar products are doing the last few years in terms of their growth and popularity. 

I should have perhaps suggested as a matter of reference the threads from 2 maybe 3 years ago,when this subject came up.35,000

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/225759-average-30k-in-the-top/

I've taken on board what asteener posted................................and ?.

1 minute ago, Sham67 said:

It was a response to  your quote about not needing extended capacity.  So, you've sort of made my point for me.  How about the 40k against Southampton, 42k v Newcastle and 45k v Burnley.  All when we were a 2nd Division side in the 80's.

Really ?

You actually believe that now we have a lesser capacity thru seating,that qouting massive crowds thru standing makes a point,that we'd fill em ?