#OnThisDay in 1986 - Makes you weep!

11 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

DH was my hero and my bedroom wall was covered in news paper cuttings of everything he did.

The events with young George soured this a little until I spoke with my old man. He said ‘you need to remember that what ever has happened, you don’t know the full story and at the end of the day he’s looking after his son. I love Wednesday but I’d do anything for you and he’s doing the same’

Whats done is done and I’d rather remember the unbridled joy DH gave me as a boy and that he was the finest centre forward in the land who we were fortunate to call one of our own.

I could resent him but for the above reasons but I’ll choose to remember the boy wonder with pride and for being the best player I’ve ever seen in a blue and white shirt.

(Thanks for the post as ever Dunsby)

If i could plus this post a million times!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chansiri did young hirst no favours once the turned down the contract offer  so no surprise that old hirst wasn't going to do any for chansiri …..shame the club got in the middle but doesn't alter the fact that hirsty served the club well over a number of years and despite the acrimonious ending he deserves to be remembered fondly .  

1 hour ago, sw1867 said:

DH was my hero and my bedroom wall was covered in news paper cuttings of everything he did.

The events with young George soured this a little until I spoke with my old man. He said ‘you need to remember that what ever has happened, you don’t know the full story and at the end of the day he’s looking after his son. I love Wednesday but I’d do anything for you and he’s doing the same’

Whats done is done and I’d rather remember the unbridled joy DH gave me as a boy and that he was the finest centre forward in the land who we were fortunate to call one of our own.

I could resent him but for the above reasons but I’ll choose to remember the boy wonder with pride and for being the best player I’ve ever seen in a blue and white shirt.

(Thanks for the post as ever Dunsby)

He was a great player, but most definitely doesn't and has never loved Wednesday, so that didn't really come into the equation. Not a put down of him, just a simple fact. 

Edited by dontCallMeOwlCallYou

8 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Agree, therefore even more a reason not to chastise him for wanting to put his son’s future before Wednesday.

100%, although personally I would have let my son make his own mind up (maybe he did). George grew up supporting Wednesday so will most certainly actually love the club, David just has an affinity. But anyway let's talk about David's playing career, he was a great player in his time. 

Him scoring against Wimbledon is one of my oldest memories of the owls, and my first time watching at Hillsborough.

Edited by dontCallMeOwlCallYou
  • Like 1

The Date ;-  Sat. February 13, 2016

The time - approx 2pm.

The Place :-VIPnHospitality -Ron Springett Suite

The Match :- Sheffield Wednesday v Brentford

The Occasion:- 30th Birthday for a certain Sheffield Wednesday (name withheld  for security )

Present :- His future Bride-to-be, his parents, her parents, plus 4 friends , myself included.

After an excellent lunch, we were chatting round the table when we were approached by Lee Bullen and David Hurst, bearin gifts for the birthday boy. General chat followed, during which DH was asked when we should be seeing his son playing for Wednesday.. The reply, which shocked us all was something on the lines of (I cannot quote word for word)  ' He won't. Not if I've my way, and he takes my advice!'

Shocked silence.!

I've posted about this several times, and while I do not have recorded evidence, I have photographic evidence of the event, and a list of 10 people , including myself.of people round the table who all heard the words spoken, IMO, in a rather embittered tone. 

• Thanks 1

I think that you can admire the talent and skill someone has and appreciate them for the joy it brings you without having to imagine they won't make mistakes or that they are a perfect person. DH was brilliant to watch and that's what I liked about him. Outstanding striker.  I've never admired his personal life,  his religious or political standpoint etc.  Because I don't know what they are and he wasn't paid to display them. He doesn't have to be all things to all people to be remembered as a great individual and team player. 

• Like 1