England winning the World Cup could put 5k on the #swfc gate

5 hours ago, Maxine said:

I don't agree, maybe a few will think they're into football after the world cup but they'll soon loose interest.

Think about it though

They will be in the same exact situation that every single football fan who ever lived was in when they started going to football

Owlstalk Shop

19 hours ago, roaminowl said:

1965/66

SWFC 2 SUFC 2 (Att 34,045). SWFC 1 Spurs 1 (Att 18,009). SWFC 1 Leicester 2 (Att 15,165)

England win World Cup

1966/67

SWFC 2 SUFC 2 (Att 43,557). SWFC 1 Spurs 0 (Att 32,990). SWFC 1 Leicester 1 (Att 31,252)

FACTS lol

Did we only play 3 games that year? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, handworth52 said:

Villarreal who come to town on the 28th july have 3 players from the world cup inc the Russian player who scored an absolute brilliant goal ,on the basis of the world cup etc you would have thought tickets would be selling very quickly well they ainti think we have sold under 2k upto now . the world cup might add a few hundred on no more to next seasons totals , there aint many out there what are prepared to pay between £35-£49 to watch championship football on a game by game basis ,quite a few times last season we barely shifted 2k on home end on pay online/turnstiles sales  plus season tickets. 5k id say 500 1966 were different times . the only places what are benefiting from England in the world cup are boozers what are normally dead in 2018 but are full to the rafters while the world cup is on. 

Cheryshev won't be playing at Hillsborough, they only got knocked out on Saturday so he'll be on an extended holiday now.  They've got a Senegal player who isn't exactly a big draw,  and I don't even know who their other World Cup player is? 

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Think about it though

They will be in the same exact situation that every single football fan who ever lived was in when they started going to football

No they wont, most people already had an interest in Swfc and football before seeing the team play for the 1st time. Alot of people currently cheering England on have no interest in swfc and are just jumping the England bandwagon. 

I agree though if England could win the WC there would be a spike in interest not just at Swfc but across the country, it's keeping most of these people interested that would be the problem, some would carry on however I fear would just be glory hunters and unless we have a great season would soon disappear.

I also don't see it being an increase of 5k, no way will we average 32k next season, in fact other than Dem, I don't see us getting 32k for any game let alone averaging it. 

Think in 66 the WC did have an effect on attendances, but as others have said so did our FA Cup final appearance and prices, no live games on Tv etc. Football has changed hugely since then and though I expect a small increase I would guess at neater an extra 1k than 5k, only winning the WC and time will tell though.

19 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

People who have their very first taste of Oxtail Soup don't do it because they've had oxtail soup before

Yes, it says oxon on buses, but you can't buy it on em.

Seriously

1. What has soup got to do with it?

2. You don't pay 40 quid to try oxtail soup.

3. It's bloody awful chicken is much nicer.

Most importantly

4. How many people who still go do you genuinely think went to their 1st Wednesday match having previously shown no interest in Swfc or Football?

My guess would be less than 2% my daughter is one of em, being took by me at just 3 months, however now she's a bit older she shows an interest, that's been planted in her brain through me,

Edited by OWL1969

2 minutes ago, roaminowl said:

Oooh. If only you'd read a few more posts, you wouldn't look so foolish now.

It was 6 games. lol

I know I read on, I do feel foolish now lol.

Edited by OWL1969
  • Haha 1

Guest Maxine
4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Think about it though

Yes maybe you have a point but its hard to compare the party of our England team in the summer months looking like going all the way to.a league game in the snow at Hillsborough. I cant wait for the new season.

I think they get some fans back who may previously have fell out of love with the game, abit like myself. i'll be getting to a few of the early fixtures that, until a few weeks ago, I can't say I would have.

Good luck to England on Wednesday, make us proud as a minimum.

9 hours ago, alanharper said:

Cheryshev won't be playing at Hillsborough, they only got knocked out on Saturday so he'll be on an extended holiday now.  They've got a Senegal player who isn't exactly a big draw,  and I don't even know who their other World Cup player is? 

a Columbian player think he came on as a sub against England . theres a chance cheryshev might be back for them by then as there season starts on 18th aug if he got a week holiday then he may report back the week they are due to play us, also he could end up moving too for serious money.