World Cup Beamback - Opportunity Missed

2 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Just been to two European cities and there were literally dozens of outdoor big screens showing the games.

I think it's probably easier to get the Council to sort this out but are they interested in putting the effort in? Unless it's snooker, no.

I was at uni in Leeds for one World Cup. Was brilliant on the square there

1 hour ago, GMOwl72 said:

A simple thought that involves way too much paperwork, red tape, grief, potential trouble etc etc for something not even connected to Wednesday. 

Fair enough, but it’s football related and a way of potentially brining money into the club. That’s why I brought it up. Wednesday do host other functions that aren’t Sheffield Wednesday related.

Beambacks have been successful in the past. Just a way of potentially increasing revenue streams.

54 minutes ago, pgmetcalf said:

So watching the TV in the boozer for free isn’t good enough for you then? It’s not as though there’s a lack of venues to watch the match ... for free

Isn’t good enough for me? I’ve spent my life in bloody pubs since I was 15lol  

For the the world cup I love a big crowd, big screen and atmosphere that I’ve experienced elsewhere. Believe it or not there is a market for other things. Not just what we are used to and do week in week out. 

Life would be pretty damn boring if we constantly settled for ‘good enough’.

I love a cheap shitty burger. But I like to treat myself to a proper fillet or ribey steak every now and then.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Do you really think that 10000 people will be prepared to pay £5 each to sit in the stand at Hillsborough to watch the world cup bearing in mind that no alcohol consumption is allowed in any place other than the concourses or the various lounges.

Make more sense to set up a big screen on the Wednesdayite car park and ask the local breweries to tender for bar space.

To be fair there is no legal reason why Wednesday couldn't get the paperwork in order so that people can have a beer whilst sat in their seat.

It is only for football matches taking place within the stadium that UK law prevents alcohol consumption in view of the pitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

Well obviously I’ve dumbed it down. Needs permission in advance. Lots of paper work and pre planning. But potentially we are missing out on large sums of money 

Would thousands go? Nah they wouldn't. who would want to spend a sunny Saturday sat in a car driving to Hillsborough to pay to watch, park, buy rubbish food when you can watch at home for free drink a few beers and afterwards have a BBQ etc without a drive home feeling miserable if we lose or putting the joy on hold if England win.

To watch the Famous Sheffield Wednesday, well, that's a different matter, travel for years, be dragged over hot coals pay through the nose eat garbage, anything because we are Owls.

Edited by mark1948

16 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

Exactly.

16 minutes ago, Peacenocchio said:

I was at uni in Leeds for one World Cup. Was brilliant on the square there

a few hundred students, but Hillsborough? If it was a good plan it would be done at Old Trafford or Wembley etc. Its not a good Idea.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

I keep seeing stuff about a fan park in Nottingham.

With OitP last weekend, I'm sure the club and council could have set something up with minimal extra work. Or there must be somewhere suitable in the city centre?

I went to the Sneinton Market fanzone for the Panama game and it was great, though that wasn't put on by the council (was a fiver - or 8 quid for this Saturday which sold out within 60 seconds) and allowed for up to about 400 people I believe. It was brilliant.

And yeah for Sweden the council are putting on a free one in the castle grounds for up to 3000 people which has never been done in Notts before so it deffo appears doable at fairly short notice.

Do any other clubs do this for the World Cup? If not, how is it Wednesday who are missing a trick? Surely it would be every club in the country who's missing a trick.

Or maybe clubs have thought of it before now and found out that it isn't feasible.

Just did a quick search and found the line from the BBC: "If you're not charging admission, then we may be able to give you permission." Presumably that would mean it wouldn't be financially viable for a club to do a beamback of something that's already being publicly broadcast.

1 minute ago, punkskaphil said:

Just did a quick search and found the line from the BBC: "If you're not charging admission, then we may be able to give you permission." Presumably that would mean it wouldn't be financially viable for a club to do a beamback of something that's already being publicly broadcast.

Unless they let everyone in for free so long as they buy a new shirt from the Megastore

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, punkskaphil said:

Do any other clubs do this for the World Cup? If not, how is it Wednesday who are missing a trick? Surely it would be every club in the country who's missing a trick.

Or maybe clubs have thought of it before now and found out that it isn't feasible.

Yep Agree. That's what I meant when I said Man U, Wembley etc would have the most to gain. Salli's post above, says it all. A few hundred atered for by a fleet footed events company set up with the equipment (Big TV, Tables Chairs, mobile bar etc) in store and local authorities who simply brand the event and take in some dosh from the same events companies who do all the work.