World Cup Beamback - Opportunity Missed

Me and the mates have been discussing where to watch the England match Saturday v Sweden. Usually just stay local or even watch England at home. 

There are a few places in town. All of which are relatively small, nothing really in the open air either. We are still undecided what to do. 

We will no doubt end up in some rammed shithole covered in beer. Used to love it but not when wanting to stay out in town. Seems kids buy beer just to throw it now. Excited spills happen and I don’t mind it, but nowadays you’re just covered head to toe. Yes I’m getting bloody old.

Anyway point is. Why has nobody thought to do beam backs at Hillsborough? I keep hearing and reading how short we are of money and ffp is going to bite us on the arse.

Look at it this way, especially with the weather, even just opening one stand. I’ll make it easy and round up and say 10k seats for sale. I know myself and mates would happily pay £5 to get in and watch a match, especially knowing everywhere else will be rammed. 

That’s £50,000 in revenue. I can’t imagine the expenditure is too much, staff costs for the day etc. I’m not sure if we can utilise our existing big screen or would need to use another.

Then you have sales on the day. 10,000 spending £10 on average each. For me that’s a conservatively low figure. I’m going to spend closer to £30-£40. Even so that’s another £100,000. Just make it very simple. Couple of bottled beers, 1/2 drinks on tap. Have them pre poured. Only sell certain foods. Don’t have the whole menu available. Just in and out and fast. I would estimate revenue would be a minimum of £150,000 for beam backs for the World Cup. We also have the pub in the ground that can be opened before and after the game. No doubt people will stay. Maybe a few extra bob on merchandise. 

To me this World Cup has been a huge opportunity missed. At least 2 knock out games will have passed us. It’s a huge long shot but if we do make it to the final we could have had 4 games at our stadium. Even semi finals I would assume could have brought in a minimum of half a million in revenue.

Harsh to criticise for this, but sometimes I wonder why people at the club aren’t all over this. Marketing and sales can be as easy as you want to make it. 

Hopefully we can do something if we qualify for the next euros. I’d assume its to short a notice to get anything for the semi final if we make it there. 

I do apologise if the club is doing something btw. I just haven’t seen it advertised.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

How much would it cost the club in rights to provide a beamback to potentially thousands of fans?

Had this conversation with a couple of people. Literally no idea, but odd ones that have worked in pubs and one that runs it believes it’s just the same as a pub licence. 

Cant say either way if that’s true or not. If so then it’s sod all.

13 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Would need policing and licensing etc, a lot of paperwork and admin on short notice only a week after Owlsin the park

Oh yeh I do understand these things. Hence why it would have needed doing in advance. That’s why I mentioned it for the next euros.

Like I said it feels like an opportunity missed.

9 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Yep its just that simple

lol

The wednesday Tap has been showing games btw

Well obviously I’ve dumbed it down. Needs permission in advance. Lots of paper work and pre planning. But potentially we are missing out on large sums of money 

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Someone independent should bang a massive screen in Hillsborough Park and smash a load of bars in there and have a right party

I brought this up before mentioning the beamback idea. Just thought it would be a good platform to mention the idea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

Me and the mates have been discussing where to watch the England match Saturday v Sweden. Usually just stay local or even watch England at home. 

There are a few places in town. All of which are relatively small, nothing really in the open air either. We are still undecided what to do. 

We will no doubt end up in some rammed shithole covered in beer. Used to love it but not when wanting to stay out in town. Seems kids buy beer just to throw it now. Excited spills happen and I don’t mind it, but nowadays you’re just covered head to toe. Yes I’m getting bloody old.

Anyway point is. Why has nobody thought to do beam backs at Hillsborough? I keep hearing and reading how short we are of money and ffp is going to bite us on the arse.

Look at it this way, especially with the weather, even just opening one stand. I’ll make it easy and round up and say 10k seats for sale. I know myself and mates would happily pay £5 to get in and watch a match, especially knowing everywhere else will be rammed. 

That’s £50,000 in revenue. I can’t imagine the expenditure is too much, staff costs for the day etc. I’m not sure if we can utilise our existing big screen or would need to use another.

Then you have sales on the day. 10,000 spending £10 on average each. For me that’s a conservatively low figure. I’m going to spend closer to £30-£40. Even so that’s another £100,000. Just make it very simple. Couple of bottled beers, 1/2 drinks on tap. Have them pre poured. Only sell certain foods. Don’t have the whole menu available. Just in and out and fast. I would estimate revenue would be a minimum of £150,000 for beam backs for the World cup.

Do you really think that 10000 people will be prepared to pay £5 each to sit in the stand at Hillsborough to watch the world cup bearing in mind that no alcohol consumption is allowed in any place other than the concourses or the various lounges.

Make more sense to set up a big screen on the Wednesdayite car park and ask the local breweries to tender for bar space.

25 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

Do you really think that 10000 people will be prepared to pay £5 each to sit in the stand at Hillsborough to watch the world cup bearing in mind that no alcohol consumption is allowed in any place other than the concourses or the various lounges.

Make more sense to set up a big screen on the Wednesdayite car park and ask the local breweries to tender for bar space.

Yes I do because there are decent sized screens on the concourse too. 

Like i I said above and Neil pointed out it would make more sense to have it in the Park, but not sure if that would get money in the club.

As a football fan I’d like local breweries to do it, again though, would that get maximum revenue into the club. 

Was just more an idea born out of frustration at the lack of large areas to watch the game. 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

The current screen is too small and not ideally located (for S stand). You'd need a screen like for the Blades beamback. That was located on the pitch. Maybe the groundsman might object to anything on the pitch this time of year.

Yeh I went to that. Really enjoyed it. Spent quite a bit of money on beers too. 

Just been to two European cities and there were literally dozens of outdoor big screens showing the games.

I think it's probably easier to get the Council to sort this out but are they interested in putting the effort in? Unless it's snooker, no.