World Cup Beamback - Opportunity Missed

3 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

it’s just the same as a pub license. 

because a few hundred people in a booze (that pays for a YEARS long license) is the same as 10k people turning up to a stadium for a one off.

Didnt the club say they paid The Pigs 80k to beamback the derby a few years back?

3 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Had this conversation with a couple of people. Literally no idea, but odd ones that have worked in pubs and one that runs it believes it’s just the same as a pub licence

Cant say either way if that’s true or not. If so then it’s sod all.

It's really not. The club would be purposely showing matches to make profit on via admission, whereas pubs do not.

Now if the club did it free entry then maybe you could argue that, but then where is the profit going to be if all they can gain from it is via food sales?

Guest Bulgaria
2 hours ago, Peacenocchio said:

Just been to two European cities and there were literally dozens of outdoor big screens showing the games.

I think it's probably easier to get the Council to sort this out but are they interested in putting the effort in? Unless it's snooker, no.

They would put the effort in if it was a lesbian, ethnic and corduroy jacket wearing footy contest.

5 hours ago, jonesy87shef said:

Me and the mates have been discussing where to watch the England match Saturday v Sweden. Usually just stay local or even watch England at home. 

There are a few places in town. All of which are relatively small, nothing really in the open air either. We are still undecided what to do. 

We will no doubt end up in some rammed shithole covered in beer. Used to love it but not when wanting to stay out in town. Seems kids buy beer just to throw it now. Excited spills happen and I don’t mind it, but nowadays you’re just covered head to toe. Yes I’m getting bloody old.

Anyway point is. Why has nobody thought to do beam backs at Hillsborough? I keep hearing and reading how short we are of money and ffp is going to bite us on the arse.

Look at it this way, especially with the weather, even just opening one stand. I’ll make it easy and round up and say 10k seats for sale. I know myself and mates would happily pay £5 to get in and watch a match, especially knowing everywhere else will be rammed. 

That’s £50,000 in revenue. I can’t imagine the expenditure is too much, staff costs for the day etc. I’m not sure if we can utilise our existing big screen or would need to use another.

Then you have sales on the day. 10,000 spending £10 on average each. For me that’s a conservatively low figure. I’m going to spend closer to £30-£40. Even so that’s another £100,000. Just make it very simple. Couple of bottled beers, 1/2 drinks on tap. Have them pre poured. Only sell certain foods. Don’t have the whole menu available. Just in and out and fast. I would estimate revenue would be a minimum of £150,000 for beam backs for the World Cup. We also have the pub in the ground that can be opened before and after the game. No doubt people will stay. Maybe a few extra bob on merchandise. 

To me this World Cup has been a huge opportunity missed. At least 2 knock out games will have passed us. It’s a huge long shot but if we do make it to the final we could have had 4 games at our stadium. Even semi finals I would assume could have brought in a minimum of half a million in revenue.

Harsh to criticise for this, but sometimes I wonder why people at the club aren’t all over this. Marketing and sales can be as easy as you want to make it. 

Hopefully we can do something if we qualify for the next euros. I’d assume its to short a notice to get anything for the semi final if we make it there. 

I do apologise if the club is doing something btw. I just haven’t seen it advertised.

Now come on, you haven't put any thought into this have you, other than it is a convenient stick to beat your club with. We're all allowed a brain fart now and again but come on ! lol

1 hour ago, smhouston said:

It's really not. The club would be purposely showing matches to make profit on via admission, whereas pubs do not.

Now if the club did it free entry then maybe you could argue that, but then where is the profit going to be if all they can gain from it is via food sales?

I was just going on what I was told with regards to a licence. I didn’t believe it, I don’t know how much more it is for pay per view events like boxing for example where pubs and clubs also sell tickets. Just was told there were ways round it.

The answer you your other question is beer, delicious beer

2 hours ago, mark1948 said:

a few hundred students, but Hillsborough? If it was a good plan it would be done at Old Trafford or Wembley etc. Its not a good Idea.

A few hundred?

you can fit thousands in. It was packed. It was everyone, not students. I reckon students made up a smaller part as drinks round that area aren’t cheap.

2 hours ago, Salli said:

I went to the Sneinton Market fanzone for the Panama game and it was great, though that wasn't put on by the council (was a fiver - or 8 quid for this Saturday which sold out within 60 seconds) and allowed for up to about 400 people I believe. It was brilliant.

And yeah for Sweden the council are putting on a free one in the castle grounds for up to 3000 people which has never been done in Notts before so it deffo appears doable at fairly short notice.

Yet apparently some people on here don’t see the demand for things like these. Rather stay at home etc.

2 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Just did a quick search and found the line from the BBC: "If you're not charging admission, then we may be able to give you permission." Presumably that would mean it wouldn't be financially viable for a club to do a beamback of something that's already being publicly broadcast.

Interesting though as there are other ways to bring in revenue.

Not necessarily for Wednesday but for anyone who can get the space and take advantage of it.

2 hours ago, mark1948 said:

Yep Agree. That's what I meant when I said Man U, Wembley etc would have the most to gain. Salli's post above, says it all. A few hundred atered for by a fleet footed events company set up with the equipment (Big TV, Tables Chairs, mobile bar etc) in store and local authorities who simply brand the event and take in some dosh from the same events companies who do all the work.

The thing is though the demand isn’t for a few hundred, it’s for thousands in big cities. We currently don’t have what other cities do. Like I mentioned Leeds. Few thousand there that day. Other bloke mentioned Nottingham and 3,000.

I could be wrong but I assume like Leeds and Notts, Manchester and London already provide something like this. So it wouldn’t warrant using old Trafford/Wembley. 

Point is is if you can get there first, put on a good show and secure and area, you’ll have have small monopoly (oligopoly if you’re not picking) within the city.

1 hour ago, jamsandwich said:

because a few hundred people in a booze (that pays for a YEARS long license) is the same as 10k people turning up to a stadium for a one off.

Didnt the club say they paid The Pigs 80k to beamback the derby a few years back?

I’m not sure what we paid untied for the beam back. Although from a negotiation point of view I’d have hoped we’d offer a % of profit from ticket sales. I understand that may not be possible though. 

I’d be interested to know what the licence would cost for one off/multiple games for international football where tickets are being sold. Also curious to know what pay per view boxing is actually.

53 minutes ago, camffiti said:

I know ITFC have been doing it for all the England games, this WC 

49 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

They've been doing it outside the stadium though, and aren't charging admission.

Then why shouldn’t we do it?

in relation to the OP .. good idea in theory .. but in reality .. i think cost and paperwork would scupper it..

I would like to see it, or hope that there are the bars open screening it on a big screen somewhere.

You'd think the city centres would be having fan areas with screens as well? peace gardens like when the snookers on

34 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Now come on, you haven't put any thought into this have you, other than it is a convenient stick to beat your club with. We're all allowed a brain fart now and again but come on ! lol

Why? If as pointed out another club is doing it. Our city is unique in the fact we don’t have a large area to watch it. There are ways round things and loopholes.

Why shouldn’t the club look at other ways to bring money in?

1 minute ago, Hack-Abusi said:

in relation to the OP .. good idea in theory .. but in reality .. i think cost and paperwork would scupper it..

I would like to see it, or hope that there are the bars open screening it on a big screen somewhere.

You'd think the city centres would be having fan areas with screens as well? peace gardens like when the snookers on

I think that’s the big shame for me. The lack of a big screen anywhere in the city centre and fan areas.

It's almost like the people and the city is living 10-20 years behind others. Opportunities missed, ways to generate money and spending in the city. 

I think the scenes at walkabout and the Leadmill show how popular it can be. If done properly it’s good for the city and potentially very profitable for some people. 

Bit sad but I’d love to revisit this thread in 4 years time when what several people have mentioned will be happening. Just seem set in our ways too often in Sheffield, happy just to plod a long.

38 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

Then why shouldn’t we do it?

I never said we shouldn’t do it. The opening post was suggesting it would be a money spinner that we could charge admission for. I was saying it’s probably not feasible if that’s the aim. I doubt Ipswich are making significant profit out of it.

54 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

I think that’s the big shame for me. The lack of a big screen anywhere in the city centre and fan areas.

It's almost like the people and the city is living 10-20 years behind others. Opportunities missed, ways to generate money and spending in the city. 

I think the scenes at walkabout and the Leadmill show how popular it can be. If done properly it’s good for the city and potentially very profitable for some people. 

Bit sad but I’d love to revisit this thread in 4 years time when what several people have mentioned will be happening. Just seem set in our ways too often in Sheffield, happy just to plod a long.

United fans at one end Wednesday fans at the other... Should we lose  (We won't, we're gonna win it). Council n police don't want the hassle, cost and time.  Could be in their thinking.