Chris Turner 1991

My overdoing memory, probably even above the cup final.....

...he was terrified of big centre forwards.

Thing is that was somethinhg that stood out from day one.

It was blatant from his debut onwards sadly. 

Deane down at the Stain made the colour drain from his cheeks every time he entered the box.

And it was  well known in the game.

"....my first game as assistant back at my former Club was at Sheffield Wednesday. It was going to be a real humdinger as Ron had left there in the summer and it had all got a bit messy. I told him I wasn't going to sit next to him on  the coach! They were a good side and we'd only managed to make a couple of signings ourselves. Luckily one of them was big Cyrille Regis and before the game Ron got into him to give Woodsy a rattle. He's a lovely fella, but it was well known in the game if your gave him a bash early doors he wouldn't come for anything after."

Andy Gray

" We had some tough games , both Manchester clubs, Wednesday and Spurs. Wednesday was the one we fancied we could get something from though. They'd an excellent side. Spent the sort of money I could only dream of. But I knew my lot would give them a game and a derby was a perfect match after the Man utd defeat.  They liked to get it down and play it about and we knew we'd have to disrupt them. The lads were pumped up for and before kick off we told Deano to flatten Woods as soon as the first chance came.  He was a big money signing, and a big lad, but it was common knowledge he wasn't bothered about the physical stuff and if you won that battle early on you'd get chances later on"

Dave Bassett

Nesh. Too good looking for a keeper in my book. Scared on a bang in the mush. 

Still. ..the kids got to sing England's number 1 for a bit so I suppose it was ok.

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

7 hours ago, DEH9 said:

For me the frustration was we were probably one more top striker off a title bid and we spaffed a record fee on a keeper when we had two terrific ones on the books already. 

But he'd got a cap or two so hey ho. Trev wanted him.

Exactly my thoughts at the time. That 1.2m we spent on Woods plus the 800,000 we spent on Jemson would have got us a top striker to partner Hirst.

8 hours ago, HubristicClapper said:

Woods as I recall received mixed reception.

I honestly think Pressman was given a bit of a harsh treatment by Francis - probably because Woods was "his" player etc.

Francis got some right, some wrong - but I think he got the keeping department wrong for a little too long.

woods may have got the England caps but for us pressman was a far better keeper imo……...when akinson dropped him though it was well deserved as he was making quite a few errors .possibly the game that clinched the deal was away at oxford and he let a free kick go past him on his side of the goal and copped a right earful of danny Wilson . 

7 hours ago, DEH9 said:

My overdoing memory, probably even above the cup final.....

...he was terrified of big centre forwards.

Thing is that was somethinhg that stood out from day one.

It was blatant from his debut onwards sadly. 

Deane down at the Stain made the colour drain from his cheeks every time he entered the box.

And it was  well known in the game.

"....my first game as assistant back at my former Club was at Sheffield Wednesday. It was going to be a real humdinger as Ron had left there in the summer and it had all got a bit messy. I told him I wasn't going to sit next to him on  the coach! They were a good side and we'd only managed to make a couple of signings ourselves. Luckily one of them was big Cyrille Regis and before the game Ron got into him to give Woodsy a rattle. He's a lovely fella, but it was well known in the game if your gave him a bash early doors he wouldn't come for anything after."

Andy Gray

" We had some tough games , both Manchester clubs, Wednesday and Spurs. Wednesday was the one we fancied we could get something from though. They'd an excellent side. Spent the sort of money I could only dream of. But I knew my lot would give them a game and a derby was a perfect match after the Man utd defeat.  They liked to get it down and play it about and we knew we'd have to disrupt them. The lads were pumped up for and before kick off we told Deano to flatten Woods as soon as the first chance came.  He was a big money signing, and a big lad, but it was common knowledge he wasn't bothered about the physical stuff and if you won that battle early on you'd get chances later on"

Dave Bassett

Nesh. Too good looking for a keeper in my book. Scared on a bang in the mush. 

Still. ..the kids got to sing England's number 1 for a bit so I suppose it was ok.

Can't argue with that. He 5h1t in the tin way too often. An on rushing shearer in the league cup stands out. Knocked out at home as holders due to a soft goalkeeper. Shocking in crosses as well. Cost us so many points looking back.

4 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

Can't argue with that. He 5h1t in the tin way too often. An on rushing shearer in the league cup stands out. Knocked out at home as holders due to a soft goalkeeper. Shocking in crosses as well. Cost us so many points looking back.

in Francis's defence woods was an excellent shot stopper and you have to weigh up the points he wins you against those he loses you by being a bit nesh.the fact we finished 3rd and he only missed one game says he must have played a decent part …. …but for me you want your keeper to be rock solid and woods certainly wasn't .

4 hours ago, torryowl said:

in Francis's defence woods was an excellent shot stopper and you have to weigh up the points he wins you against those he loses you by being a bit nesh.the fact we finished 3rd and he only missed one game says he must have played a decent part …. …but for me you want your keeper to be rock solid and woods certainly wasn't .

If you watch the season review mate you'll be surprised how many points he cost us. Quite a few from poor shot stopping as well.

Woods record v Pressman and Turner...... let's have a look shall we ? 

Pressman:

National team
1988 England U21 1 (0)
1994–1998 England B 3 (0)

Turner:

National team

nothing, not a sausage

Woods:

National team
1979–1983 England U-21 6 (0)
1984–1989 England B 2 (0)
1985–1993[1] England 43 (0)

Woods was past his best when we got him but was still a very good keeper, Pressman as dependable as ever was way overrated IMO, Turner was a decent keeper.Look at the facts without the blue and white tinted specs

That is all

Edited by steveger
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steveger said:

Pressman:

National team
1988 England U21 1 (0)

Turner:

National team

nothing, not a sausage

Woods:

National team

Woods was past his best when we got him but was still a very good keeper, Pressman as dependable as ever was way overrated IMO, Turner was a decent keeper.Look at the facts without the blue and white tinted specs

That is all

Fair point but I've got a memory I'll call back on rather than stats. Woods was a liability. He bottled it in big games time and time again and cost us potentially an FA Cup and a league title.

3 hours ago, DEH9 said:

Woods were the first keeper I remember palming shots down instead of keeping hold of em. 

Or as mi fatha calls it. "Given it back to the striker to have another pop"

Correct. Had a terrible habit of putting shots back into the 6 yard box.

When he bought Woods from Rangers I always thought this was Trevor Francis show of intent because he thought having England's keeper on the books would keep us firmly on the map. But keeping clean sheets ad nauseum(and breaking records)was a world away from Division One. His first game against Villa showed he had weaknesses against crosses. He could be a very good shot stopper though. Thought Pressman and Turner were great servants of the club but I think if you'll find Sunderland fans rated Turner only a little way behind Montgomery for keeping the score down - he turned in many brilliant performances for them. I seem to recall Turner replaced Fox and then was replaced by Bob Bolder because Jack Charlton thought he was too small. Always liked him though and he made the crucial save at Wembley to win us the League Cup. Sorry he got so much stick when he was manager but his "European Cup in five years" quote was asking for trouble.

18 minutes ago, Colin Dobson said:

I seem to recall Turner  was replaced by Bob Bolder because Jack Charlton thought he was getting a little bit too cosy with his daughter Debbie 

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

On 22/06/2018 at 16:31, cowl said:

But for Pressman getting a bad injury in our promotion year, I doubt Turner would've made an appearance as Pressman seemed to be very much Atkinson's number one.

So what with Woods coming in, I suppose Turner would've known he'd be 3rd choice.

Pretty much this. I wasn't really a Turner fan, good shop stopper but not great at catching IMO and I saw him as a line keeper and not very commanding. I think he knew his time was up 

Turner didn't think his time was up at all. In fact Francis was keeping CT and Pressman guessing in pre-season training and was saying to them it was one or the other, no suggestion of any new arrival at all. Then on eve of season signed Woods with no communication to either of his keepers which didn't go down well. Then CT told Orient in for him and accepted move as was a contract that would take him to pension age which in those days was important for players financial security - how times change!! 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, steveger said:

Pressman:

National team
1988 England U21 1 (0)

Turner:

National team

nothing, not a sausage

Woods:

National team

That is all

What a ridiculous post....comparing on international caps only?.....Martin Hodge would fall in to the zero bracket but he was 10x the keeper Woods was....and that's not even up for debate 

27 minutes ago, Ian said:

What a ridiculous post....comparing on international caps only?.....Martin Hodge would fall in to the zero bracket but he was 10x the keeper Woods was....and that's not even up for debate 

it's my post and i think it's great.........:ph34r:

I do agree about Hodge, was a cracking keeper and great loyal servant to our club

Edited by steveger