Chris Turner 1991

I was a little young to remember every transfer and keep tabs on who went where and why.  Obviously I remember Big Ron leaving us for Villa. 

But does anyone recall why Chris Turner left us in 1991 after winning the league cup? 

I know we brought in Chris Woods that year, but Chris Turner went from playing for Man United, Sheffield Wednesday and then to Leyton Orient which seems a bit of a drop. Even at 32 years of age. 

Edited by CF83OWL

But for Pressman getting a bad injury in our promotion year, I doubt Turner would've made an appearance as Pressman seemed to be very much Atkinson's number one.

So what with Woods coming in, I suppose Turner would've known he'd be 3rd choice.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cowl said:

But for Pressman getting a bad injury in our promotion year, I doubt Turner would've made an appearance as Pressman seemed to be very much Atkinson's number one.

So what with Woods coming in, I suppose Turner would've known he'd be 3rd choice.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. 

Seem to remember Ron thinking Kevin should have done better in that Oldham game, Turner coming in and Ron jot looking back.

Mind both keepers better than Woods in my opinion. 

Turner went their as player coach didn't he to get a foot on that ladder?

Wasn't he a make weight in the Bart Williams deal.

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

5 hours ago, cowl said:

pressman got the injury in our relegation year ...he started the promotion year as first choice  had a bad spell and got dropped is how I remember it ……... 

I'm confident Turner having any playing time that year at all was to give Pressman a kick up the arris.

Atkinson was a great man manager, and he got it bang on by leaving Pressman out of the Cup final.    Pressman hurt because of that and came back better for it.

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

pressman got the injury in our relegation year ...he started the promotion year as first choice  had a bad spell and got dropped is how I remember it ……... 

Aye. Cruciate weren't it?

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Pressman was playing as far back as 88. He got injured on New Year’s Day 1990 when hirsty went in net against city.

atkinson didn’t like his attitude and played Turner instead.

1 minute ago, ka58 said:

Pressman was playing as far back as 88. He got injured on New Year’s Day 1990 when hirsty went in net against city.

atkinson didn’t like his attitude and played Turner instead.

Like I said, a kick up the arris.

15 minutes ago, torryowl said:

it was some kick up the arris alright , he only played 5 games in the next 3 years .

Woods was brought in - an England cap keeper, it took him 18 months to displace him but he did it.    In probably 3/4 of the top flight teams, Pressman would have been first choice in those 18 months.

It's no disgrace.

Edit:   your 3 years is somewhat incorrect.

Edited by HubristicClapper

4 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

Woods was brought in - an England cap keeper, it took him 18 months to displace him but he did it.    In probably 3/4 of the top flight teams, Pressman would have been first choice in those 18 months.

It's no disgrace.

i'll have a look but it cant be far off …...

16 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

It's no disgrace.

dropped dec 1990 and played 4 games before replacing woods on a regular basis in oct 1993 so your right it was 2 years and 10 months 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, torryowl said:

dropped dec 1990 and played 4 games before replacing woods on a regular basis in oct 1993 so your right it was 2 years and 10 months 

Woods as I recall received mixed reception.

I honestly think Pressman was given a bit of a harsh treatment by Francis - probably because Woods was "his" player etc.

Francis got some right, some wrong - but I think he got the keeping department wrong for a little too long.

2 minutes ago, malek said:

Dunno what is problem here. We signed one of the best british keepers, and kept one of the most talented ones.

Someone had to make the space...

That's true.

I think the issue was one was given impunity and it left us ultimately short because he was untouchable for a time.

For me the frustration was we were probably one more top striker off a title bid and we spaffed a record fee on a keeper when we had two terrific ones on the books already. 

But he'd got a cap or two so hey ho. Trev wanted him.