Sheffield Wednesday U23's vs Burnley today - Hillsborough - 1pm

2 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

someone who went write a summary please, I'm going to make a bit more of an effort this pre-season to go & watch a few games as it's actually interesting now we progress youngsters for the first time in years 

Wednesday all over Burnley first 20 mins.

They grew back into and deservedly went ahead in first half.

Second half Wednesday tried and tried but just couldn't put ball in net. No fault of players just unlucky with some and good defending.

Thought Stobbs was poor. Never played well when I've seen him.

• Thanks 1

1st time I've been this season and enjoyed it .they were a tad unlucky and deserved at least a draw .no one really impressed me enough to think they were 1st team material but everyone of them couldn't be faulted for the effort they put in . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First u23 of the season for me too.

Was sat very near Jos in first half, who took up a seat about 5 mins into game. He went elsewhere after half time.

Forestieri was there. Possible a few others.

Team looked leggy. Tired. 

But Borukov looks decidedly promising, as did Lonchar when he came on.

Worry about Stobbs. You'd hope that by now he'd be making more impact at this level. Yesterday didn't do much at all and some poor passes and choices.

• Thanks 1

It appears we are making my progress, but most of the U23 group are still a long way off being considered ready for regular championship football

I know a few have been given a start by Jos of late, including young Stobbs, but the only one I’ve seen who looks as if he has something, is Sean Clare Like most youngsters, he’s inconsistent, but at least he does have the ability to influence a game Maybe a few more will emerge as genuine prospects, able to play regular games at championship level That has to be the aim

when you think if everyone who qualifies for the under 23 was available the side could have looked very different from the one that turned out yesterday and i'd have backed this team to wipe the floor with burnley .....obviously the club have more important matters than the game yesterday so played a lot of underage lads so no real surprise they couldn't quite pull it off 

dawson 

baker 

o'grady

neilson

thorniley 

penney 

clare

kirby

preston 

stobbs 

hirst 

39 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

I was surprised how Burnley tried to hang on to their draw by wasting time, kicking the ball away, and standing in front of free kicks.

It seems as if they were desperate for the draw. Surely there was no possible relegation for them.

Even their coach kicked the ball away once!

they wernt that desperate for the draw ...they won lol

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, torryowl said:

when you think if everyone who qualifies for the under 23 was available the side could have looked very different from the one that turned out yesterday and i'd have backed this team to wipe the floor with burnley .....obviously the club have more important matters than the game yesterday so played a lot of underage lads so no real surprise they couldn't quite pull it off 

dawson 

baker 

o'grady

neilson

thorniley 

penney 

clare

kirby

preston 

stobbs 

hirst 

TBF most PDP sides are very different at this time of the season to the ones that started the season

Impressed by Borusov, O'Grady and Preston yesterday.

Borusov has the hallmarks of a very good striker. Physically dominant in that age group. Great movement, good hold up play. Works very hard leading the line. 

O'Grady, looked a step above anybody else on the pitch. Read the game superbly, won most things aerially, cool and assured on the ball. Out of every player yesterday, he looked the one who could make the step up. 

Fraser Preston - a real threat from out wide. Couple of great deliveries, and always wanted to get at players. 

Jack Lee - thought he started the game superbly in the middle of the park, sat screening. Another big lad who just seemed to antipicate well and break up play and use the ball well. Dropped back into centre half when we changed shape to a more 3-4-2-1. 

Tad disappointed with Stobbs and Kirkby. Stobbs is now 21, and he should be the cream of this crop if he's to break through. But his quality on the ball was generally lacking, and didn't have much impact on the game. Kirkby disappointed me the most, especially after making his 1st team debut last week. He worked hard, but looked far more assured on the ball, and lacked a bit of quality who'd expect from someone looking to make the step up. He's 20 in September, and he's another one who needs to be thinking about making the next step. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, scram said:

TBF most PDP sides are very different at this time of the season to the ones that started the season

.I was more making the point that the team winning the league isn't high on the clubs list of  priorities ......... 

Same for all clubs

No club would prioritise winning an u23 match over fielding a 1st team squad - if it were necessary to use the 23's to bolster first team ranks

The hallmark of the development system isn't winning games and leagues - it's getting players to the first team and/or to sell

53 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

Impressed by Borusov, O'Grady and Preston yesterday.

Borusov has the hallmarks of a very good striker. Physically dominant in that age group. Great movement, good hold up play. Works very hard leading the line. 

Interesting that Borukov seems to have caught the eye of many observers

I wonder where he would be on his development journey if his pathway had been blocked by a player who made no secret of the fact he wants to leave?

I said at the time we should be prioritising players who want to stay over those that clearly don't want to be here

The by product of the GH situation could be that we were able to develop a player that may have found his route blocked

Well done to the club!

• Like 1