We got a player on our hands!

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

The overriding thing that strikes me in this thread is that despite some really positive news, some cold as day facts, and undisputable statistics the thread has quite a few just dismissing it entirely and casting a shadow over whether Reach is a good player or not

Amazing

I think its the classic Wednesday thing to be honest 

It reminds me a lot of when Buxton was here.

Some people were having him as the best right back in the country  - when in reality he was a steady championship player in a very average team. 

Reach is the same - can't fault his attitude - but he is no more than a steady championship player.

Put him at left wing back  - with everyone back fit and firing  - he will look a better player 

1 hour ago, torres said:

I think its the classic Wednesday thing to be honest 

It reminds me a lot of when Buxton was here.

Some people were having him as the best right back in the country  - when in reality he was a steady championship player in a very average team. 

Reach is the same - can't fault his attitude - but he is no more than a steady championship player.

Put him at left wing back  - with everyone back fit and firing  - he will look a better player 

When considering the SWFC players who previously had the most assists (i.e. Brunt & Antonio ) and whilst considering those players' were playing in a Championship that wasn't as competitive as it is today, I would argue that if Reach goes on to progress like those before him then we will be talking about him, in terms of his career, in a far greater regard than Buxton (no disrespect). 

Edited by AwokenGiant

36 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

When considering the SWFC players who previously had the most assists (i.e. Brunt & Antonio ) and whilst considering those players' were playing in a Championship that wasn't as competitive as it is today, I would argue that if Reach goes on to progress like those before him then we will be talking about him, in terms of his career, in a far greater regard than Buxton (no disrespect). 

Reach doesn’t have the final ball quality of a Brunt type and doesn’t have the raw physical attributes of an Antonio 

He can be relied on to put a shift in (should be a given), as this season has shown, he cares, wants to win and has more than enough quality to hold his own in our league 

I can only see him going to the premier if a team like Burnley put a bid in, maybe Cardiff if they go up 

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

We paid £5m for a £2.5m player if I remember rightly this was classic DC transfers - make an offer - get rejected have no plan B of other players wait till end of transfer window then offer a silly amount. We did the same with Rhodes if I remember.

he"ll be worth more than the £5m we paid for him now, which suggests we didnt really overpay for him

14 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Think he'll be the player sacrificed in the summer for FFP.

Who too? Either Newcastle or Swansea.

Wouldn’t surprise me this, he’s a very saleable asset because he’s blatantly got potential to push on and be a very very good player ,and for me someone will take a chance on him at 6-7 million

15 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Yeah reach is one of those players that just moves like a footballer, he can play multiple roles and just has class. You could see it when we signed him, he's got so many assets. Yet he's one of those players that some fans just don't seem to see the value of. Brunt was the same and Whelan. They focus on the fact that he's not a muscle bound power house or really aggressive. Not sure what it is but a lot of fans were slating Hooper for 6 months when we signed him and just don't seem to see how good he is either, bewilders me.

Bullseye. Was just thinking about the brunt scenario when reading the thread. He’s a very good player and an asset, simple as that. He’s not premier league standard yet but a standout championship player for sure. Lots of other champ teams would love to have him 

+ Steady player, usefull in a few different positions and scores a few crackers when he doesnt have too much time to think. 

- neshes too many 50/50's, struggles for pace against a lot of the opposition.

He's looked particually good this season because of consistency while the majority of the rest of the team have looked awful.

19 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

Reach reads the game v well and was excellent at times breaking attacks down (box-to-box work) when he was doing the wing-back role under CC. From a standing start one-on-one he’s not good and he’s not strong in 50/50’s granted - but as a tracking back midfielder he doesn’t shirk his responsibility! 

isn't a 'tracking back midfielder' supposed to get a tackle in when he's done 'tracking back'?

there's been far too much tracking done this season, and not enough aggressive closing down, hopefully the balance will alter when we get a fit side.

29 minutes ago, dnhc said:

isn't a 'tracking back midfielder' supposed to get a tackle in when he's done 'tracking back'?

there's been far too much tracking done this season, and not enough aggressive closing down, hopefully the balance will alter when we get a fit side.

Depends on whether the opposition are breaking and the midfielder (or other players) is behind play, amongst other things. You can’t always aggressively press - that would mean you could lose shape at important times in the game. 

My point is, Reach is better at breaking things down (either tracking back or reading the game from a solid formation) rather than one-on-ones (from an almost standing point), or in the tackle. My observation is Reach is not rapid over the first 5-10 yards, but is quick once he gets his legs going. Hence why he’s better at breaking things down than the rest. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

20 hours ago, room0035 said:

Is this the same Adam Reach that has neshed every 50:50 challenge he has had this season.

He is improving but we over paid on him - he might now be worth what we paid for him, but you look at the strikers around him for a truly good winger and none of the have got particular good stats other than Nuihu over the last few months. Lets have a settled team next year with Reach on the left wing and see how he does. 

5M overpaid? Don't talk stupid we'd get about 8M back now the market is crazy. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
21 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

No player has got more assists in a Championship season for Sheffield Wednesday than Adam Reach (9) this season since Chris Brunt got 12 in 2005-06. Matches Michail Antonio from 2012-13. (Courtesy of: @DaleJohnsonESPN)

He’d have double that if he’d been kept on the wing.  

player of season for me but what i think made him was that massive row he had with fans ,at derby away,.seemed to give him a reality check and did nothing but improve after that.all he needs to do now is not bottle tackles then he would be premier class

2 hours ago, AwokenGiant said:

Depends on whether the opposition are breaking and the midfielder (or other players) is behind play, amongst other things. You can’t always aggressively press - that would mean you could lose shape at important times in the game. 

My point is, Reach is better at breaking things down (either tracking back or reading the game from a solid formation) rather than one-on-ones (from an almost standing point), or in the tackle. My observation is Reach is not rapid over the first 5-10 yards, but is quick once he gets his legs going. Hence why he’s better at breaking things down than the rest. 

so the player many see as our future 'wingback' isn't adequate in the tackle dept., not good on 'one on one's, has poor acceleration over the first 10 yards. (they'll be a few championship wingers happy to hear that). 

i'm not for one minute suggesting we press every minute, BUT we do NEED to press when the opportunity presents itself as favourable to us.

i see him as a midfielder, but he badly lacks pace, so if he's on the flank, yet again we have a wingman who can't skin a fullback, if he's not out wide, is he good enough to command a place in the middle in a fully fit side?