Netflix prem league legends - Paolo Di Canio

He was never coming back after that push. 

Even if Richards hadn't been angling for the FA gig. 

Even if Wilson hadn't been a out of his depth. 

Not saying he engineered the push. That was clearly heat of the moment. 

But once his ban kicked in ...he saw it as a way to jump ship. 

No danger. I'll never be convinced otherwise. 

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Great player..Loved watching him, but I'm not blinded by what he did.

Wilson bottled it?

Board bottled it?

What choice did they have?...He pushed a ref over and got banned for it...Like every other bugger who's done it...

Wednesday fans even went to the hearing,

After the hearing Di Canio and the club accepted the 11 game ban and DiCanio said he was looking forward to returning to the club, the club said they were looking forward to his comeback

He didn't turn up did he?

Have you read Di Canio's account of what happened? It's just a little bit different. And perfectly in keeping with what we know about Wilson, and in particular Richards. 

Not going to get into it again but I'm surprised you're so willing to just trust someone like our former chairman who well and truly left us in the crapper just a year later to feather his own nest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Engineered his own move.

Engineered his way out of Celtic.

Liked to go home at Xmas, had a propensity to sent off in the festive  period.

Bags of talent, morally bankrupt. 

11 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Have you read Di Canio's account of what happened? It's just a little bit different. And perfectly in keeping with what we know about Wilson, and in particular Richards. 

Not going to get into it again but I'm surprised you're so willing to just trust someone like our former chairman who well and truly left us in the crapper just a year later to feather his own nest.

I fully remember his statement outside the hearing, now if that differs from his "later" recollections..So what....?

simply shows he's prone to telling 2 different stories doesn't it?

He publically apologised to the club, the ref, the supporters..."stating he lost his head for a few minutes"

He got what effectively was an 8 match ban...turned into 11 for the 3 for the red card...8 match ban for pushing a ref over?...fair enough isn't it?

Whatever Wilson , Richards or anyone else is..Is hardly the point is it?

Edited by asteener1867

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Engineered his own move.

For me he was genuinly a potentially World class player. 

I would say probably the best I have seen.

But everywhere he went Juventus , Napoli , Milan , Celtic , Wednesday there was always someone got it in for him. Always a problem. 

Always something going off. 

The common denominator was him. Though I'm not sure he ever twigged that 

16 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Totally agree.

Remember going to Everton away and he was brilliant that day. Sadly he was a flawed character and probably never reached his full potential. Unlike Chris Waddle who was the ultimate pro and is the best i have seen in a Wednesday shirt. Plus I think Waddle genuinely loved it here. 

• Like 1

Just now, ZicoSterland2 said:

Remember going to Everton away and he was brilliant that day. Sadly he was a flawed character and probably never reached his full potential. Unlike Chris Waddle who was the ultimate pro and is the best i have seen in a Wednesday shirt. Plus I think Waddle genuinely loved it here. 

Was at the game at Everton..He was brilliant

Just now, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Engineered his own move.

Why did you leave Celtic after just one season there?
Aneurin Shearan, Celtic fan
Because the chairman didn’t want to talk about my contract, which he’d promised to do if I played well. I’d been voted Player of the Year. But he said I didn’t deserve it. Well, I go, it’s that easy. I don’t play for liars and traitors.  
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/paolo-di-canio-one-one#OwCU0E8XWX0K3FmR.99

Why did you go back on your promise to fans that you’d return to Sheffield Wednesday after your ban?
John Wardell, Sheffield
Because the club abandoned me. I had to pay my lawyers to get a proper defence because theirs were attacking me. With all respect to the fans, I could never go back to a club and manager who had betrayed me.

I also checked Soccerbase. Apart from this incident I found no red cards that saw him suspended at Christmas in the 8 seasons he played on these shores (and given that this occurred in September 1998, it's difficult to imagine he had a Christmas at home in mind) and he played on Boxing Day a number of times.

1 hour ago, welsOwl74 said:

Danny Wilson bottled the whole situation 

Worse manager in my time watching us

Could it maybe have been more to do with the chairman, Dave Richards, having ambitions that may have been thwarted by playing down the player's part in the business and just fining him 2 weeks wages?

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Its the way DiCanio handled the Ref mate....lets not lose sight of the bloke who started the whole f.ookfest

Di Canio barely touched the ref.  I'm not condoning what he did, no player should put their hands on a ref, full stop.  

A couple of points really, the ref did exaggerate the whole situation imo, and made it look a lot worse than it actually was.  

The club should have stood by the player, Ferguson did with Cantona after that kung fu kick.

There is no denying that the club quickly went downhill after that as well as the Benni Carbone situation.  

When we had Di Canio and Carbone up top, we had a very lethal strike force.  

Not only did we give those players away for next to nothing, we failed to replace either of them.  

That whole debacle has played a huge role in the mess that followed.  

The blame rests on those in charge of the club at the time, who sold out for self reward.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Why did you leave Celtic after just one season there?
Aneurin Shearan, Celtic fan
Because the chairman didn’t want to talk about my contract, which he’d promised to do if I played well. I’d been voted Player of the Year. But he said I didn’t deserve it. Well, I go, it’s that easy. I don’t play for liars and traitors.  

Why did you go back on your promise to fans that you’d return to Sheffield Wednesday after your ban?
John Wardell, Sheffield
Because the club abandoned me. I had to pay my lawyers to get a proper defence because theirs were attacking me. With all respect to the fans, I could never go back to a club and manager who had betrayed me.

I also checked Soccerbase. Apart from this incident I found no red cards that saw him suspended at Christmas in the 8 seasons he played on these shores (and given that this occurred in September 1998, it's difficult to imagine he had a Christmas at home in mind) and he played on Boxing Day a number of times.

Why on earth shouldn't he pay his own Lawyers....Who in the name of f.ook could defend what in footballing terms was indefensible?

On TV...seen by millions?

Mitigating circumstances?..absolute zero....

How did the club abandon him?..You can't appeal that bloody action?....You would look ridiculous!

No matter how folk try to drag Wilson, Richards into the argument with..."ooh but look how crap they were"...What difference does that make?..Its not the argument is it...?

The matters simply black and white

Why did he get the ban he got?

Cos he did what he did.....

absolutely bloody simplistic DJ

11 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Its the way DiCanio handled the Ref mate....lets not lose sight of the bloke who started the whole f.ookfest

Nobody, even Di Canio himself denies that. It's hardly a Sherlock Holmes kind of deduction is it? 

But the club (presumably at the direction of Richards and the board) saw an opportunity to teach Di Canio (and perhaps Carbone too) a lesson. Maybe this extended to getting rid of him entirely and handing him the rope to alienate himself from the fans?

They lied about not knowing where he was and being unable to contact him as Sky Sports had reporters following him round... his home town no less. Obviously not hiding very cleverly was he? Richards sold us down the river and then looked after himself. Why would you trust his account of anything?

Obviously Di Canio is not blameless. He has a rich history of confrontation and controversy. For better or worse, that's his nature. But Ron Atkinson and Harry Redknapp were able to manage it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Nobody, even Di Canio himself denies that. It's hardly a Sherlock Holmes kind of deduction is it? 

But the club (presumably at the direction of Richards and the board) saw an opportunity to teach Di Canio (and perhaps Carbone too) a lesson. Maybe this extended to getting rid of him entirely and handing him the rope to alienate himself from the fans?

They lied about not knowing where he was and being unable to contact him as Sky Sports had reporters following him round... his home town no less. Obviously not hiding very cleverly was he? Richards sold us down the river and then looked after himself. Why would you trust his account of anything?

Obviously Di Canio is not blameless. He has a rich history of confrontation and controversy. For better or worse, that's his nature. But Ron Atkinson and Harry Redknapp were able to manage it.

Who's "trusting"Richards account?

Di canio whitters on of betrayal?

The bloke who "betrayed" his team mates by that unconscionable action?

The bloke who "Betrayed" the fanbase, by saying he would come back?

You keep going on about the lying actions of Richards etc...but totally ignore DiCanios?