Netflix prem league legends - Paolo Di Canio

27 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Why did you leave Celtic after just one season there?
Aneurin Shearan, Celtic fan
Because the chairman didn’t want to talk about my contract, which he’d promised to do if I played well. I’d been voted Player of the Year. But he said I didn’t deserve it. Well, I go, it’s that easy. I don’t play for liars and traitors.  
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/paolo-di-canio-one-one#OwCU0E8XWX0K3FmR.99

Why did you go back on your promise to fans that you’d return to Sheffield Wednesday after your ban?
John Wardell, Sheffield
Because the club abandoned me. I had to pay my lawyers to get a proper defence because theirs were attacking me. With all respect to the fans, I could never go back to a club and manager who had betrayed me.
https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/paolo-di-canio-one-one#OwCU0E8XWX0K3FmR.99

I also checked Soccerbase. Apart from this incident I found no red cards that saw him suspended at Christmas in the 8 seasons he played on these shores (and given that this occurred in September 1998, it's difficult to imagine he had a Christmas at home in mind) and he played on Boxing Day a number of times.

Have a look st the sending off v Watford.

Its. It's not specifically xmas day. Did he stay S6 and penance, no he went home to Italy (his worlds, not mine).

Your quotes, from his quotes, just vilify what most of us are saying, he believes he is bigger than his employers. His employers are the club he signs for.

He shoved a ref over. He got banned, deservedly. 

Lest we forget his behaviour as a manager at Swindon or Sunderland. We don't need a soccer website to analyse that. Condemned again by those that employed him - why, because he was a law unto himself.

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Show me where this "Distaste" from the club is...prior to DiCanios push....

A bit much to expect me to remember particular specifics after 20 years. But there was the whole fuss after the Cambridge cup defeat when Wilson singled out "the two Italians" and Richards used the press to wade in on them.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

No.

But seriously, how many decisions did the SWFC board take in the last 20 years that only served to further that decline? This would be just one more amongst dozens.

Again that's only opinion, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

A bit much to expect me to remember particular specifics after 20 years. But there was the whole fuss after the Cambridge cup defeat when Wilson singled out "the two Italians" and Richards used the press to wade in on them.

So a manager slags a couple of players for not playing well....and I cannot remember Richards "Weighing in with the press"...but it must be on record...

4 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

Its the way DiCanio handled the Ref mate....lets not lose sight of the bloke who started the whole f.ookfest

Alcock dived though didn't he. Nando would have got a red for less :biggrin:

Loved Di Canio in terms of footballing talent. He's up there with the best i have seen in a Wednesday shirt but he was a total liability.  I mean have you ever seen any other player get sent off at home within the first 10 minutes of a game arguing over a f ook-in throw in?  Still he entertained me in a way precious few of our team have over the years...

The only club he played for without  it ending in farce was the Happy Hammers and even then they went down with him in the team.

Not sure even BFR could have managed him and got us top 10. 

Having said that always felt the Club handled it really badly and that was Dave Richards being a selfish a r s e really.

5 hours ago, welsOwl74 said:

Danny Wilson bottled the whole situation 

Worse manager in my time watching us

Agree, there’s no way big ron would have dealt with it in such a pathetic way.. should never have been appointed, was out of his depth.. what was it he labelled them, ‘fancy dans’.. he should have been sacked on the back of that rediculous comment alone

carbone and di canio were probably the most exciting players I’ve seen (and I saw our early 90s side) but the club treated them both shabily

3 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

IF..Wilson , Richards and Co..simply wanted "The Italians" out...Why not just simply drop them from the team?

Its the easy option isn't it?

Put DiCanio and Carbone on the bench....?

They would have blown up in no time wouldn't they?

Funny you should say that. Maybe they learned their lesson? Because just a few months later that's exactly what happened to Carbone isn't it? 9 games into the season, we'd only scored 3 times and he was the only Wednesday player with a goal (Bradford sympathetically helped us out with one), plus he was clearly the star of that squad. Yet he'd been named substitute 6 times. The last one, at Southampton, was the last straw for him and he did as you predicted.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Have a look st the sending off v Watford.

Its. It's not specifically xmas day. Did he stay S6 and penance, no he went home to Italy (his worlds, not mine).

So the prosecution case for your claim that he had a habit of getting himself sent off to be home for Christmas comes down to a single example in his 8 years in Britain... that took place on January 14th !? And here I am having repeated demands for some sort of unimpeachable evidence.

:laugh:

It seems this has come down to the usual binary option of one party in the black hat and one in the white hat. But it's more complex than that. And I would be onto a real loser to try and suggest Di Canio was innocent of anything. His career is full of outbursts, tantrums, confrontations and madness.

But the board handled the fallout extremely badly and it could be argued some of those tremors are still being felt today. They failed in their primary purpose of putting the club's best interests first. As I recall, it was well known that Richards was already looking elsewhere and within months he'd left the club to it's fate. 

I know it is a cliche, but for all the rights and wrongs, the contrast with Eric Cantona's violent assault on a fan (a far worse incident) is stark. Manchester United did what was best for them and to hell with everyone else. We did what was best for Dave Richards.

4 hours ago, asteener1867 said:

So a manager slags a couple of players for not playing well....and I cannot remember Richards "Weighing in with the press"...but it must be on record...

I've searched and could find almost nothing regarding Dave Richards and his feelings towards the "fancy dans". The best I could do is this below, where his enmity towards them is clear. But from your perspective I'm sure that it could be argued this only came at the end of that whole episode and may not be a reflection of his attitude towards them the year before. 

Tuesday, September 21, 1999 Published at 11:57 GMT 12:57 UK

Sheffield Wednesday chairman Dave Richards says Italian striker Benito Carbone and former team-mate Paolo Di Canio have 'killed us and are killing the game'.

The outburst from Richards, who is the Premier League's chairman, will add fuel to the growing debate on whether the number of foreign players in the domestic game should be limited. Richards blames Di Canio and Carbone for the current predicament of the Hillsborough club. Wednesday are bottom of the league with only a single point from their first eight games.

"The Carbone and Di Canio situations have killed us. The players are killing us and killing the game," said Richards. "They come over here and take the money and it's great when everything is going their way, but when things go wrong it can be disastrous. "I think Sheffield Wednesday have had a raw deal over the last couple of years." Carbone, who is the only player to have scored for the club this season, has been involved in a series of disputes the latest of which involved him storming out of the team dressing room when he was told he would be a substitute against Southampton.

Di Canio was never far from controversy during his spell at Hillsborough - such as his infamous push on referee Paul Alcock - and he was sold to West Ham as a result. Richards, who has refused to criticise under-fire Owls boss Danny Wilson, said: "We were the ones punished for the Di Canio incident because we had to sell a player worth £6million for less than £2million. 

"Carbone has refused to sign a contract. He is not committed to the club, but he is still collecting the wages. "We have not had a single enquiry for him and we won't get a penny back on the £3.5million we paid for him when he walks away."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/453241.stm

Edited by DJMortimer

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

Funny you should say that. Maybe they learned their lesson? Because just a few months later that's exactly what happened to Carbone isn't it? 9 games into the season, we'd only scored 3 times and he was the only Wednesday player with a goal (Bradford sympathetically helped us out with one), plus he was clearly the star of that squad. Yet he'd been named substitute 6 times. The last one, at Southampton, was the last straw for him and he did as you predicted.

So the prosecution case for your claim that he had a habit of getting himself sent off to be home for Christmas comes down to a single example in his 8 years in Britain... that took place on January 14th !? And here I am having repeated demands for some sort of unimpeachable evidence.

It seems this has come down to the usual binary option of one party in the black hat and one in the white hat. But it's more complex than that. And I would be onto a real loser to try and suggest Di Canio was innocent of anything. His career is full of outbursts, tantrums, confrontations and madness.

But the board handled the fallout extremely badly and it could be argued some of those tremors are still being felt today. They failed in their primary purpose of putting the club's best interests first. As I recall, it was well known that Richards was already looking elsewhere and within months he'd left the club to it's fate. 

I know it is a cliche, but for all the rights and wrongs, the contrast with Eric Cantona's violent assault on a fan (a far worse incident) is stark. Manchester United did what was best for them and to hell with everyone else. We did what was best for Dave Richards.

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

I admire tenacity, even some of yours.

12 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

For me the Cantona Kung fu kick was a more serious offence, but Ferguson and Man Utd chose to support their prize asset. All about options but if we’d shown Di Canio more support he may well have stayed. Obviously if the club wanted rid of Di Canio they got their wishes, but alas I don’t think we could afford to lose him at that time.

Yep, Liverpool and Luis Suarez is another one. Even perhaps Terry and chelsea

When you have an asset in football you have to look after it otherwise you screw yourself over, as we found out.  Morals are very difficult to have in football. 

There’s no doubt Di Canio probably saw it as a way out of the club, but I blame Wilson for that too because he didn’t give Di Canio the support he wanted to make him want to stay. 

Out of interest 

What support were wednesday supposed to give?

You could for instance argue that the immediate ban wednesday gave to him was a kick in the teeth

But, look at the position HE put the club in, or is it simply convenient to forget his whole part in it, cos he was a "Great" player..?

This has turned into a Richards and Wilson bash up....I'm up for that, they are both answerable for the mess we ended up in...

This threadis supposed to be about DiCanio, doubtless a talent, without doubt one of the best players ive seen in a Wednesday shirt, although I would much sooner have Degryse.

Look at DiCanios previous "exploits" when he had enough at a club....

Juve...pushed Trapattoni over in the dressing room..off to Napoli....Trapattoni later stated when manager of Italy he would only pick DiCanio if "There was an outbreak of bubonic plague"

He renaged on his Celtic contract, refusing to travel with the team, forcing another move, this after accusing "90% of Scottish referees of being protestant bigots and favouring Rangers over Celtic"...He fell out with Capello at Milan...forcing his move to Celtic.....Its a trait he has...its in his character.....

Yet..he does it to us...and its the fault of someone else?

Do give over

• Thanks 1

Just me who found the Alcock thing funny?

I mean come on, he really milked it.

I felt the same way about the Cantona thing. It’s alright for fans to shout abuse at footballers, evens up the score a bit when every now and then someone goes Kung Fu crazy.

The look on that fat south London oiks face when he realizes what’s about to happen lol