2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

In my lifetime, the only thing that topped Sheridan's 'dink' was the final whistle in that game

Scoring in the first half in the cup final, against a team from the higher division, and then keeping the biggest team in the country at bay was something else.

Because Carlton Palmer was suspended, we coudn't play our usual free flowing game, which was a good job for Man U, or we'd have hammered them

Don't believe me? We turned Chelsea over home and away in the semi's, with a 5-1 aggregate

What a time to be a Wednesdayite

People might have forgot this, but at that time, the League Cup was the only trophy Man Utd had never won, they wanted it 

The relief at the final whistle was something else, I'm not ashamed to admit I burst out crying

I was sat down in the corner where in the first half Lee Sharpe - then more or less the hottest wunderkind in English football - was being marshalled expertly by Roland Nilsson (with notable help from Harkes) in what has to be one of the single greatest defensive performances I've ever seen. But I had absolute kittens every time he took possession and set off on one of those loping sprints down the wing. You could practically see the steam coming off Nilsson as he tracked him up and down the line at 100mph for the entire first half.

I needn't have worried. So effectively was he pocketed by our mighty Swede, in fact, that Man U pretty much gave up trying to use Sharpe as an outball after about 65 minutes, and he just completely faded from the game. Absolutely criminal that RN didn't win MOTM, as good as Pearson was at motivating the team to cling on that day.

Still makes me feel a bit nervy thinking about it all, weirdly.

I was 10 at the time.

What a day that was. Will stay with me forever.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, roaminowl said:

"Thud" makes me cringe.

It doesn't even "thud" it dinks in off the post.

Have you foookin heard yourself? lol

I was only messing really - it’s just one of those things that gets talked about on here like it’s a “thing”.

it reminds me of when people say “THAT goal by di canio” and it turns out it’s some non descript goal at home to Barnsley.

10 hours ago, BRADDO said:

If only Mark Bright hadn't hit the post from 8 yards in the FA Cup Final replay, that would have been THE moment for me. Always wanted to see the Owls lift the FA Cup. And we should have.

I was talking about this yesterday. I wonder how differently things would have panned out of his shot had been 4 inches the other way?

We’d have probably conceded a last minute equaliser and been the first team to lose an FA cup final on penalties :duntmatter: