Chairman deciding who can and can't play and Meir 'Asset stripping'

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

The biggest problem to overcome in this conspiracy theory is how much we stand to lose from being in League One for even just a single season. If we went down there is no guarantee we would just romp to the title at the first time of asking, especially as most of our best players would be long gone. Just how big do some of these contractual bonuses have to be before they would even begin to inspire such an insane plan?

Maybe when the club first started to stop playing them they didnt believe they was a chance of relegation?

(Although I dont think the club is stopping players playing for contract bonus issues).

6 hours ago, Dunkstar said:

I might be being a little over simplistic here but is it not just that we gambled quite heavily on reaching the Premier League (a move endorsed by quite a few on here),  failed in that gamble, and now how to cut our cloth accordingly?

It seems to me the situation we find ourselves in now is the natural outcome of the high risk strategy of the last 2.5 years. We had a crack at chucking money at it, that didn't work. Now we have to come at it from a new, more cost effective angle. 

Looks like we'll have to lower our sights for a few years.

I think you are spot on.

what really concerns me now is these 5 year season tickets. Once this money is spent how will the following 4 seasons be funded.

its a bit like the club maxing out their credit card and spending the next 4 years paying it off.

6 hours ago, Dunkstar said:

I might be being a little over simplistic here but is it not just that we gambled quite heavily on reaching the Premier League (a move endorsed by quite a few on here),  failed in that gamble, and now how to cut our cloth accordingly?

It seems to me the situation we find ourselves in now is the natural outcome of the high risk strategy of the last 2.5 years. We had a crack at chucking money at it, that didn't work. Now we have to come at it from a new, more cost effective angle. 

Looks like we'll have to lower our sights for a few years.

I said this when the spending started, that we would get 2-3 years to go up and if not the cycle would have to come to an end and we would have a period of trying to cut our cloth accordingly. My opinion was that we had tried to nail players like Forestieri, Hooper, Bannan, Westwood etc down to long-term contracts so that if it didn't work out we could get some of our losses back through player sales.

I expected this to happen in the coming summer and I guess we will have to wait on that one. I didn't expect it to go so badly wrong this season and there are so many things that don't make sense. One of the big disappointments is the hefty contracts that we have given to players who are approaching the twilight of their careers who haven't got the potential of any significant resale value, Plenty of our signings make no sense in this respect.

I agree with the OP though, if you were Bannan, or Hooper for example your future bargaining position in terms of getting a move and a similar contract elsewhere would be seriously hit by stating that you had niggling injuries that kept you out for months on end. Your appearance fees and win bonuses etc would be lost there is simply no reason why you would agree to the pretence of being injured.

9 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Just 2 of the ridiculous rumours that are flying about at the minute. 

Do people genuinely believe them?

Do you really think the players wouldn't have managed to leak this to the press to try and let the fans and other clubs know? Do you really think all these players want 'injury prone' in any contract discussions with other clubs in their future careers? We have had 1 fan meeting Hutch in a carpark and everyone has gone absolutely wild.

Do you really think Jos would be sticking around? He's known for walking out of clubs when chairmen/the board get too involved.

Seriously, we're in the poo but some of the stuff I am reading is absolute fairytale stuff. Sure there can be questions raised about how we have ended up in this FFP situation and how this season has gone but can we take a step back and take off our conspiracy theory goggles?

People miss the glory days of bills and co on ere spouting nonsense. Who doesn't love a gossip.

9 hours ago, mkowl said:

The difference is that it was inferred he was training with the first team to perhaps hint or suggest that a possibility of first team action could arise. That there had been dialogue between the parties. 

The news today is to shut down that possibility directly from the manager

Am glad JL told us. Someone else should tell us why the situation with GH has reverted to what it was and why he cannot be picked.

6 hours ago, handworth52 said:

if he makes an appearance for 1st team this season I'm sure hirsts fee in summer would have an extra 100-200k added on ,so for everyones benefit he needs to be involved,clearly hirst has not refused to play for 1st team ,if he had there would be no way club would be playing him for u23s , I think reason he is now back involved with u23s is the pfa may have been involved ,who knows. we have no options whatsoever up front,rhodes is shot , nuhiu possibly worst finisher we have ever had ,there is only joao who gives us any hope for finding the net ,we must be every other teams dream team to play at min,we leak goals for fun and have nothing whatsoever up front. 

Dead right

Guest Arcadianrocket
10 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Do you really think the players wouldn't have managed to leak this to the press to try and let the fans and other clubs know? Do you really think all these players want 'injury prone' in any contract discussions with other clubs in their future careers? We have had 1 fan meeting Hutch in a carpark and everyone has gone absolutely wild.

Do you really think Jos would be sticking around? He's known for walking out of clubs when chairmen/the board get too involved.

Seriously, we're in the poo but some of the stuff I am reading is absolute fairytale stuff. Sure there can be questions raised about how we have ended up in this FFP situation and how this season has gone but can we take a step back and take off our conspiracy theory goggles?

Absolutely bang on.

Lots of flapping on here today. OT positivity month did not quite last the month lol

The only thing our chairman has got wrong so far, is the daft appointment of Jos. Ironically it appears it has just bit him on the bum too.

So let's take the positives from today. We may get a decent manager in.

5 minutes ago, AracdianDreamer said:

The only thing our chairman has got wrong so far, is the daft appointment of Jos. 

I can't make that sentence work no matter how hard I try. DC, however well-intentioned is getting things wrong on an regular basis at the moment. I actually make no judgement of JL at the moment because he literally is the football equivalent of the band playing on the Titanic whilst DC sails it towards any icebergs he can see.  

• Like 2

Guest Arcadianrocket
1 minute ago, Morepork said:

I can't make that sentence work no matter how hard I try. DC, however well-intentioned is getting things wrong on an regular basis at the moment. I actually make no judgement of JL at the moment because he literally is the football equivalent of the band playing on the Titanic whilst DC sails it towards any icebergs he can see.  

hmmm, not really.

It s not the chairman who keeps playing Loovens.

It is not the chairman who refuses to play Reach at left wing back, despite him actually being the only player who could play the role. Instead we have the actual Titanic at left back.

It is not the chairman who signed Pelupessy.

Lots more Jos does that another manager could fire fight a lot better. Lack of subs etc against Villa.

Resting Joao against Ipswich but playing him away at Bristol City/

I could go on.

2 minutes ago, AracdianDreamer said:

hmmm, not really.

It is not the chairman who refuses to play Reach at left wing back, despite him actually being the only player who could play the role. Instead we have the actual Titanic at left back.

Lots more Jos does that another manager could fire fight a lot better. Lack of subs etc against Villa.

I could go on.

lol

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Yes I do believe it, yes think Chansiri pulls the strings on team selection, yes I think Jos would have taken a short term contract of 6 months  after being out of work for 2 and a half years and really not given a throw on the stipulations .

6 hours ago, AracdianDreamer said:

hmmm, not really.

I could go on.

Please Do /Don't  

Delete as appropriate. ..........

If the worst happens and we end up in L1, it will be difficult to bounce back IMO. There is a big possibility that Sunderland and/or Hull will also go down and they will still be raking in Premiership parachute payments that will dwarf our income whilst Birmingham are not without cash either. Besides we have shown ourselves to be incapable of beating the bottom teams around us even with our better players, so there it does not inspire confidence that we will smash them in the division below.

10 hours ago, AracdianDreamer said:

hmmm, not really.

I could go on.

We are playing Loovens, Pessy etc  because DC was reckless with money so we couldn't compete for Duffy, Hanley , Curtis (even freebie) , Joe Ledley (free), etc, etc.

Joao's probably a contract matter.