Whoever complains about any Owls player or the performance against Villa...

We are going to be ok. There's a good positive vibe still. If the club secure Hirst and Clare to long term contracts then we will have further cause for optimism.

I was frustrated after the Millwall game because we lost three point there. Anything today would have been a bonus. We should have played our strongest available side at the New Den, but on that performance today, we will pick up the wins we need. 

Bolton and Ipswich at home are massive games. 

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Am I missing something or is tonight just gonna be threads having pops at other Wednesday fans and not talking about the match?

Just asking for a friend

Who prefers to log onto a Sheffield Wednesday forum to read about Sheffield Wednesday 

1 hour ago, FreshOwl said:

Makes Wallace look like Arjen Robben

There you go Neil. That’s the opening post from a thread about Boyd. I heard fans in the ground complaining about Boyd and Fox and there were the usual suspects having a go about Nuhiu. I will admit that there were also fans being positive and also fans lamenting our back luck. 

Edited by shandypants

The manager complained about parts of it. We deserved to get something based on attacking play but ultimately our defending was poor again. Effective sides don’t lose from there. 

At least it doesn’t lull anyone at the club into the false sense that our makeshift  central defenders would be good enough for a side wanting promotion. 

We need to keep Clare as a driving force, build the team around him and Reach, Bannan. I just hope we sort the defence out. 

Edited by Bluesteel

12 minutes ago, Ian said:

Not as good as his assist for Villa's goal though....he had 3 choices,,,,,give it left and we probably score....give it right and we probably score......faff around with it, lose it and they score.

Nuhiu did a lot of good things today but he also missed at least two very good chances and gave the ball away countless times.....a few good things doesn't undo errors like those.

Similarly I think at least two of the goals the keeper can do better

you can't concede four at home and say all of the players were magnificent

Nuhiu should Clearly have done better but the ball travels a long way before it ends up in the back of the net.

Wildsmith should definitely do better with the first, but I don’t see him at fault for any of the others, perhaps the second...but it’s a dreamy cross so I think it’s harsh to fault him

He needs to realize that he doesn’t have to stay on his line though. If people are consistently winning headers well into the 6-yard box there’s a problem.

If I was Jos I’d be thinking of giving Dawson a run. He looks a lot more commanding to me, a better footballer and equally adept shotstopper

Edited by McRightSide

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

Nuhiu should Clearly have done better but the ball travels a long way before it ends up in the back of the net.

Wildsmith should definitely do better with the first, but I don’t see him at fault for any of the others, perhaps the second...but it’s a dreamy cross so I think it’s harsh to fault him

He needs to realize that he doesn’t have to stay on his line though. If people are consistently winning headers well into the 6-yard box there’s a problem.

If I was Jos I’d be thinking of giving Dawson a run. He looks a lot more commanding to me, a better footballer and equally adept shotstopper

Fully agree with the last paragraph although here's the quandary......if this was December then I'd be up for Dawson playing league games and Wildsmith in the cup.....but given there is only 12 league games left and we have a very good chance of getting to the Quarter finals of the FA Cup and possibly further, if you bring Dawson in for the league games do we then play Wildsmith in the cup and if so how would you feel if you were Dawson?

Just now, Ian said:

Fully agree with the last paragraph although here's the quandary......if this was December then I'd be up for Dawson playing league games and Wildsmith in the cup.....but given there is only 12 league games left and we have a very good chance of getting to the Quarter finals of the FA Cup and possibly further, if you bring Dawson in for the league games do we then play Wildsmith in the cup and if so how would you feel if you were Dawson?

I’d give Dawson Swansea and then make the call if he performs well.

Chances are that we’re getting knocked out but in the event that we stay in then yes, I’d switch them...both need football

I’m sure Dawson would relish the chance to be the number 1 for a dozen or so games and would give up the chance of a Wembley match for a chance to establish himself 

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

The manager complained about parts of it. We deserved to get something based on attacking play but ultimately our defending was poor again. Effective sides don’t lose from there. 

Yes, we were very naive in terms of seeing the game through.

I really enjoyed the first half, as good as we have played at home other than perhaps the Leeds game and would have been unjust had we not got the lead just before half-time.

2nd half Villa had more of the play but it wasn't as if they were creating loads of chances at 2-1. had the ref took action when Nuhiu was clipped it would probably have turned out differently.

Our defending was poor though. The first goal came from a free header at point blank range from a free-kick. Can't really blame Wildsmith for not dealing with the first header better as he would have been set to react to a better finish and had little time to adjust. The problem was the marking. In the 2nd half we never really got to grips with Snodgrass and all the chances came from that side. Difficult to blame Boyd as he had a good first half when we were on the front foot and he isn't a defender, he needed more help or a change of position.

Another really encouraging performance from Clare and Joao is in the goals.Plenty of encouragement with the ball but the defensive solidity that Jos introduced in his first few games has disappeared which is a worry.

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Yes, we were very naive in terms of seeing the game through.

I really enjoyed the first half, as good as we have played at home other than perhaps the Leeds game and would have been unjust had we not got the lead just before half-time.

2nd half Villa had more of the play but it wasn't as if they were creating loads of chances at 2-1. had the ref took action when Nuhiu was clipped it would probably have turned out differently.

Our defending was poor though. The first goal came from a free header at point blank range from a free-kick. Can't really blame Wildsmith for not dealing with the first header better as he would have been set to react to a better finish and had little time to adjust. The problem was the marking. In the 2nd half we never really got to grips with Snodgrass and all the chances came from that side. Difficult to blame Boyd as he had a good first half when we were on the front foot and he isn't a defender, he needed more help or a change of position.

Another really encouraging performance from Clare and Joao is in the goals.Plenty of encouragement with the ball but the defensive solidity that Jos introduced in his first few games has disappeared which is a worry.

I think it’s trying to find the balance. We have parked the bus in some games and never looked like scoring. Add in Boyd Clare and Hunt then you suddenly have a few outlets going forward, but you lose the rigid defence. Regardless I still think we lack a commanding centre half to organise things.

On another day though we get a win and that is better than our usual draw two and lose one approach.

We don't have the squad depth with experienced quality players at the moment like villa have. I haven't been today because I had a hospital appointment but I still followed the game. Villa brought on good fresh legs, our injury crisis prevented us from doing the same. Not much we could have done

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think it’s trying to find the balance. We have parked the bus in some games and never looked like scoring. Add in Boyd Clare and Hunt then you suddenly have a few outlets going forward, but you lose the rigid defence. Regardless I still think we lack a commanding centre half to organise things.

On another day though we get a win and that is better than our usual draw two and lose one approach.

It is, which is why I found the Millwall game approach so bizarre. No strikers starting yet we had 2 able to play 90 minutes today and a 3rd on the bench. Stobbs making his first start in an unfamiliar position and no attacking midfielders with Reach and Clare out. Clare hadn't played at the weekend and won't play this midweek, I don't think getting 75-80 minutes out of him once a week is an issue. Had we been more positive in that game I think we would have got something. Today we threw all we had available at one of the better sides in the division and although we played really well with the ball and were let down by the officiating, we were found wanting at the back.

1 hour ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Boyd it looks like, ridiculous 

I though boyd look very good in first half dropped off a bit in 2nd but overall played well

We were beaten by the better team despite a ‘spirited’ effort. At the end of the day any team conceding 4 goals to any team needs to answer some pretty serious questions.

To pretend otherwise is just silly.

21 minutes ago, Will69 said:

We were beaten by the better team despite a ‘spirited’ effort. At the end of the day any team conceding 4 goals to any team needs to answer some pretty serious questions.

To pretend otherwise is just silly.

To pretend that losing two dubious goals in the last 2 mins and in extra time is doing very well with a depleted side. Anyone who thinks different is just silly

26 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

To pretend that losing two dubious goals in the last 2 mins and in extra time is doing very well with a depleted side. Anyone who thinks different is just silly

its a hard loss to take after a spirited performance, we wernt quite good enough to take the 3 points but it was closer than some think, be positive and look forward because we are on the up imo