Resting players

5 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

I'm assuming Reach, Pudil, Joao, Nuhiu etc are being saved for Villa and Swansea.

Can understand fans being annoyed they travelled to Millwall on a Tuesday night to see no strikers in the line up but if it wasn't for dodgy defending we'd have another point or 3.

We've got used to seeing the same team playing week in week out more or less this last year and a half but now all those players are injured. Coincidence?

Jos says he's managing the players to keep them healthy. I'm all for it. 

Absolute crazy statement, Why not play them against a team which we could quite comfortably beat, rest them for a Villa side where it would be a lot tougher to get

something out of, then have a more fit and rested squad for the Swansea game.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think some of our fans are off their heads if they think we can just play all our top currently fit players every game over the coming weeks

We can't

There's too many games in quick succession

The Championship is like a high speed bullet train. Our players are stood on the platform. If we shove them in front of the train week in week out they're gonna get mangled

Let Jos do his job

Let posters say what they believe, thats why you took the Neg button away, remember.

3 hours ago, whatdial said:

Better off bringing them off after 60mins. It’s hardly a rest having a 4hr trek both ways from Sheffield to Millwall. Would have been better off leaving them at home. 

Seldom heard of an athlete who got injured or worn down from travel on matchday; the exertion compared to being in action physically in a match is astronomical.

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I think some of our fans are off their heads if they think we can just play all our top currently fit players every game over the coming weeks

We can't

There's too many games in quick succession

The Championship is like a high speed bullet train. Our players are stood on the platform. If we shove them in front of the train week in week out they're gonna get mangled

Let Jos do his job

Standard excuse till the end of the season this , injured players , they need resting etc !

If we go down using his philosophy will it still be ok?

Thought it was a naive team selection, which showed inexperience of this league by Jos, one I hope will not be repeated. I understand the squad he has is decimated by injuries and having to rely on mostly our cast off reserves and youth players and those who are 'fit' do not have the core fitness to play Tuesday/Saturday for a prolonged period. 

That said, never an excuse for not playing any strikers, fans just won't stand for it and as proved cannot be effective in this league. Even if it meant calling up one of the youth strikers, need that focal point on the pitch. I accept Jos does not have an abundance of attacking options but he made a mistake last night.

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

To me think managers and coaches try to be too clever at times with all this squad rotation and game management malarkey .

Carlos Carvahaul was certainly guilty of that and it seems new bloke is as well.

Just play your best side and worry about next match day after.

No wonder people getting pis.sed off with modern football when you are paying high prices and see a half strength side a lot og games.

You'll find the foreign coaches are fans of the squad rotation rather than the homegrown ones 

58 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Seldom heard of an athlete who got injured or worn down from travel on matchday; the exertion compared to being in action physically in a match is astronomical.

Be better leaving them at home than travelling back from London arriving home at 3am, then having to drive home. Time would be better spent getting an early night and getting in the day after refreshed for training.

Just feels like we didn’t care about team selection and decided to lose. 

1 hour ago, daleblue said:

Absolute crazy statement, Why not play them against a team which we could quite comfortably beat, rest them for a Villa side where it would be a lot tougher to get

something out of, then have a more fit and rested squad for the Swansea game.

You mean like when we could comfortably beat charlton a cupla seasons ago? 

Would rather try and get as many points as possible than try to guess which games are there for the taking...

10 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

You mean like when we could comfortably beat charlton a cupla seasons ago? 

Would rather try and get as many points as possible than try to guess which games are there for the taking...

I was replying to a post, with the prerequisite of an answer to resting players, if the Manager sees fit to do so.

Me I would play the best team all the time, give breaks to players as and when they feel they cant play due to fitness, would not leave them on the bench as this says to me that the player is fit to play, also I would rather play a player and bring him off when he tires.

So thats what I mean and not what you mean, clear.

:rolleyes:

Edited by daleblue

5 hours ago, Highbury Owl said:

The two goals conceded were due to sloppy defending more than team selection.

The two mistakes were made by Fox (not tracking his man) and Thorniley (giving the ball away and missing his tackle). If we had picked the strongest available side you could put a strong argument that neither would have been in the team to make the mistakes they did.

Sorry but I have come to the conclusion that jos is managing a set of p ***ssy's, if they can't manage the few games they play per week ,Other teams have to do it so why not ours  roughly 180 minits per week and they are shattered lol 2games per week for me sometimes three in my youth and any minuit's on the pitch I could get in between , 

12 hours ago, vulture_squadron said:

I'm assuming Reach, Pudil, Joao, Nuhiu etc are being saved for Villa and Swansea.

Can understand fans being annoyed they travelled to Millwall on a Tuesday night to see no strikers in the line up but if it wasn't for dodgy defending we'd have another point or 3.

We've got used to seeing the same team playing week in week out more or less this last year and a half but now all those players are injured. Coincidence?

Jos says he's managing the players to keep them healthy. I'm all for it. 

wasn't just dodgy defending.we offered nowt up front and to be honest Millwall could av had 5 or 6,if you went you know we were outplayed by a poor team imo