Young George Hirst

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

it's not greed to go into your bosses office and ask for a payrise based on what you're worth and what other people think you're worth

But in any industry the boss pays you what he thinks your worth based on the wage structure already in place at his company.

Unless of course you have shown that your job skills far exceed any other employees in the company and he doesn't want to lose your expertise.

Which then reverts back to the original "what he thinks your worth"

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

it's not greed to go into your bosses office and ask for a payrise based on what you're worth and what other people think you're worth

Yes it is.

If B&Q are losing money hand over fist, and have rules on how much they can spend, you cannot expect to be paid the same as Homebase, who have the ability to spend whatever they want.

That is just plain greed.

3 minutes ago, MAL said:

Yes it is.

If B&Q are losing money hand over fist, and have rules on how much they can spend, you cannot expect to be paid the same as Homebase, who have the ability to spend whatever they want.

That is just plain greed.

Actually, Homebase are in financial trouble. Closing a load of stores. That’s not part of the analogy, they just are.

Should have paid more to their best staff instead of letting B&Q poach them all!

41 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure how you come to that conclusion

If I worked as a YTS at B&Q for £50 a week and did such a great job Homebase wanted me to go there for £100 a week, I'd go to B&Q management, tell them and ask them to match it

It's not greed it's market value

Have you ever said that it’s your dream to work at B & Q though? 

lol

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, londonowl said:

Actually, Homebase are in financial trouble. Closing a load of stores. That’s not part of the analogy, they just are.

Should have paid more to their best staff instead of letting B&Q poach them all!

That makes my post better.

It was Homebase paying over the odds, and paying junior staff the same or even more than proven senior employees.

BQ have spent time making you a good trainee now there could be several reasons why you were a better trainee than the others.

You have a natural talent for slab paving

You physically matured quicker than the other trainees which allowed for larger slabs being used and speed at which they were laid.

Now Homebase have let you know that they are willing to take a risk on you becoming a very good senior slab paver , they can afford it and if you don't make the grade, like the aforementioned Jordan Slew, they can take the hit.

You now go into BQ management and tell them the above scenario, while BQ possibly want to match Homebase they simply cannot take the risk as there have been plenty of YTS's up and down the country for multiple DIY stores that simply never got anywhere near their supposed potential.

So either you take a hit and BQ win.

Or you can win, homebase can win and BQ get shafted.

BQ could be pretty annoyed if it's the latter, all that training that has gone on before wasted, although they might get some Homebase vouchers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MAL said:

That makes my post better.

It was Homebase paying over the odds, and paying junior staff the same or even more than proven senior employees.

Homebase are paying the going rate and not paying the YTS lads the same as the customer service staff at all - I've never said that at all?

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

BQ have spent time making you a good trainee now there could be several reasons why you were a better trainee than the others.

You have a natural talent for slab paving

You physically matured quicker than the other trainees which allowed for larger slabs being used and speed at which they were laid.

Now Homebase have let you know that they are willing to take a risk on you becoming a very good senior slab paver , they can afford it and if you don't make the grade, like the aforementioned Jordan Slew, they can take the hit.

You now go into BQ management and tell them the above scenario, while BQ possibly want to match Homebase they simply cannot take the risk as there have been plenty of YTS's up and down the country for multiple DIY stores that simply never got anywhere near their supposed potential.

So either you take a hit and BQ win.

Or you can win, homebase can win and BQ get shafted.

BQ could be pretty annoyed if it's the latter, all that training that has gone on before wasted, although they might get some Homebase vouchers.

That's precisely it

But it's not anyone getting shafted - it's just how things are otherwise people would never move jobs for higher pay/more benefits

Everyone reading this would make sure they get paid what they're worth

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Homebase are paying the going rate and not paying the YTS lads the same as the customer service staff at all - I've never said that at all?

No they aren't, Homebase are paying double the going rate, B&Q were paying the going rate, Homebase decided to offer you double the going rate for you to join them.

Now Homebase are in financial trouble, where will you go for your next piece of silver.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We can all agree I've succesfully debated this issue to a win for me.

1-0 to me

I win

Surely you should be claiming that you have 'owned' your adversaries? lol

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc