Three at the back

19 minutes ago, Dot said:

Carlos took some stick for his formations and no plan B

Today was worse than anything I have seen under Carlos, most of them did really not have a clue what they were supposed to be doing

No plan A , B or C

I brought up the ultra defensive

5-3-2 formation and got slated by the brainiacs on Owlstalk.

Understandable for some games; but not for relegation teams at home.

2 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

I brought up the ultra defensive

5-3-2 formation and got slated by the brainiacs on Owlstalk.

Understandable for some games; but not for relegation teams at home.

Please don't lump my opinions in with yours FFS I might as well give up

• Haha 1

Look at my post in the Mel Sterland thread in 83-84 we played 5 at the back but Zico and Irish pushed into midfield to make the numbers up.but you can't compare today's team to 

Hodge

Sterland 

Shirtcliff

Lyons 

Smith 

Shelton 

Megson 

Varadi 

Bannister 

Cunningham 

What a team 

2 minutes ago, owler66 said:

Look at my post in the Mel Sterland thread in 83-84 we played 5 at the back but Zico and Irish pushed into midfield to make the numbers up.but you can't compare today's team to 

Hodge

Sterland 

Shirtcliff

Lyons 

Smith 

Shelton 

Megson 

Varadi 

Bannister 

Cunningham 

What a team 

Worthington just saying what player left him out lol

Edited by owler66
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Don't mind 3 at back , but 2 holding midfielders as well at home is a bit too negative.

Chelsea won the title that way last season. It was probably deemed negative today because of the rest of the players in the team. With the likes of Forestieri, Hooper, Lee and Bannan back it will add more balance. Just have to be patient.

1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

Today was the first time that looked the case, it also coincided with us giving the opposition a 2 goal and 1 man head start. 

I don’t know, by all accounts we were all over the place at Boro last week, but got away with it Even in the highlights, I saw Boro miss three gilt edged chances

We looked pretty solid at the stain, but no less so with just the two in there after Loovens red card Maybe we can iron out the mistakes, but for me, the extra body could be better used elsewhere

11 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Not convinced it’s right for us at all We looked all over the place at the back today, with nobody seeming to know who was picking up who Not good

Said that months ago when people were begging for it. All you have to do to beat it is have your striker, winger left up front, wait for your opponents to commit their wing backs to the attack, defend the cross(pisseasy) and then hoof it long into the corner where your striker/winger(s) is 

No problem with playing 3-5-2 just not when your wing backs are as poor as Palmer and In particular Fox. They are both league 1 full backs who offer nothing going forward which is why it looks like we have a flat back 5. Ideally you also need a couple of defenders who are comfortable on the ball, I reckon if Hutch ever comes back he’d be great on the right side of a back 3 with Van Aken left and Lees central. 

Yes, I very much agree with Gurujuan.

Teams that make the 5-3-2 work always have two quick full backs who are good on the ball and push forward.

Spurs with Trippier and Rose (Davies) are a good example curently as of course were Sterland and Worthigton who were tremendous at this.

Looking at out playing resources Venancio and hopefully Lees soon can make up the centre of a back four.

I thought I read that JL liked to play 4-2-3-1 at Berlin and our players currently avaialble might suit this better: Jones to replace Buttercup, Wallace and Boyd wide in the three and Joao up top.

10 hours ago, owler66 said:

Hodge

Sterland 

Shirtcliff

Lyons 

Smith 

Shelton 

Megson 

Varadi 

Bannister 

Cunningham 

What a team 

Good point re comparing them. Current team not fit to lace their boots.However, take out 10 of that team through injury and what's left? 

It's the injuries that are killing us. We have the best part of 10 reserves playing week in week out. Quite simply they aren't good enough.

1 hour ago, pgmetcalf said:

Said that months ago when people were begging for it. All you have to do to beat it is have your striker, winger left up front, wait for your opponents to commit their wing backs to the attack, defend the cross(pisseasy) and then hoof it long into the corner where your striker/winger(s) is 

Because 442 was working wasnt it. Give the guy some time. He is working with fresh air at the minute. Its all about prep for next season now

13 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

If we are playing with 3 at the back, you need your wing backs to be excellent going forward and to be the fittest at the Club.

It should be Hunt and Reach at wing back - absolutely obvious.

I actually thought Pudil and Venancio had decent games - Venancio had a communication breakdown with Wildsmith for the first goal but apart from that was good.

Yeah hunt and reach for me unless it's a tough away game.

Id like it's to stick with it next season but with a new left back, lees back and another centre half come in.

7 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Because 442 was working wasnt it. Give the guy some time. He is working with fresh air at the minute. Its all about prep for next season now

I think which ever way he juggles it the current players just aren't good enough.

We need a big clear out lol