Three at the back

I think it's more to do with the lack of quality we have on the pitch rather than the formation. 

I know we've managed to scrape 3 clean sheets which has made people think we're solid, but the truth is our defenders aren't good enough. Pudil's the only one who looks capable at the moment imo. 

On top of that we're still soft as poo in midfield. 

Got an awful feeling that our lack of activity in the January transfer window will come back to haunt us. 

13 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Not convinced it’s right for us at all We looked all over the place at the back today, with nobody seeming to know who was picking up who Not good

Well it's worked ok for the previous 5 games.

Yesterday didn't start well with two very bad defensive errors knocking the confidence out of the players, now to do with any system.

Yesterday was like Carlos had come back, jossy has his hands full getting into the minds of the players and sweeping all the garbage left there by the previous coach.

13 hours ago, Stoop said:

Lees, Van Aken and Venancio would be great with Reach and Hunt at either side of them

Bannan, Hutch and Lee in front 

Hooper with FF behind 

That is the physically weakest mid field we can possibly play.

I read somewhere that Jossy's preferred formation is 4-2-3-1.

Edited by adelphi1867

13 hours ago, Stoop said:

Lees, Van Aken and Venancio would be great with Reach and Hunt at either side of them

Bannan, Hutch and Lee in front 

Hooper with FF behind 

Which one's been nominated goalie wag?

Would be a very good side using a system which would play to the strengths of Reach and Hunt and get the best of Bannan and Lee.

2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

That is the physically weakest mid field we can possibly play.

I read somewhere that Jossy's preferred formation is 4-2-3-1.

Other than the fact that they are all cocked at the moment, what do you mean by the weakest midfield we can possibly play? Hutchinson tackles reasonably well, Bannan and Lee are like a couple of terriers that never give up. And all three are talented footballers.

3 minutes ago, Day before Thursday said:

Other than the fact that they are all cocked at the moment, what do you mean by the weakest midfield we can possibly play? Hutchinson tackles reasonably well, Bannan and Lee are like a couple of terriers that never give up. And all three are talented footballers.

Exactly! All 3 are suited to play in a midfield 3 as well. Perfect combination - one is defensive who gets his foot in, one is a passer and controls the game and the other is a runner and is a great link player and supports the attack. 

Just now, Day before Thursday said:

Hutch is out for the ret of this season, in my opinon. 

Bannan and Lee get knocked off the ball too easily, and too often out fought.

I was saying 2 years ago that if any team comes to Hillsborough to play a passing game we will beat them, but when any team comes and get is in our faces, especially in midfield, we have been in trouble.

We need some battlers in midfield, some thing we have sadly been missing for the last 30 months, I would not be averse to playing Palmer along side Pelupessy as the defensive midfielders at the moment, allowing what attacking players we have to do just that.

Fair enough and by the sound of things the only one we are likely to see this season is Bannan. I think these three were the reason our pressing game worked so well for a time.

I was thinking after yesterday's game that I would play Palmer in midfield and bring in Hunt at wing-back. Probably with Jones and Pelupessy alongside Palmer, and Reach in what I think will be his best position at left wing-back.

Midfield would lack a little creativity but Palmer was a midfielder originally and is a decent passer of the ball.

Edited by Day before Thursday

44 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

Hutch is out for the ret of this season, in my opinon. 

Bannan and Lee get knocked off the ball too easily, and too often out fought.

I was saying 2 years ago that if any team comes to Hillsborough to play a passing game we will beat them, but when any team comes and get is in our faces, especially in midfield, we have been in trouble.

We need some battlers in midfield, some thing we have sadly been missing for the last 30 months, I would not be averse to playing Palmer along side Pelupessy as the defensive midfielders at the moment, allowing what attacking players we have to do just that.

Do we have any fit attacking midfielders at the minute?

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I think it's more to do with the lack of quality we have on the pitch rather than the formation. 

I know we've managed to scrape 3 clean sheets which has made people think we're solid, but the truth is our defenders aren't good enough. Pudil's the only one who looks capable at the moment imo. 

On top of that we're still soft as poo in midfield. 

Got an awful feeling that our lack of activity in the January transfer window will come back to haunt us. 

Clean sheets against two sides in the top 6. 

On 03/02/2018 at 20:38, Theboylangers said:

Their players seemed to be cutting through our midfield at will with no tackles flying in from anywhere.

If full backs are so deep then left and right centre mid has to do so much work and coveringmid or full back whichever side it might be. Think about it. Reach/Butters charging over their centre...alll the opposition player has to do is take a touch or a pass inside and we're completely open in the middle. Joey on his own. Steam rolled over and over.