Three at the back

If we are playing with 3 at the back, you need your wing backs to be excellent going forward and to be the fittest at the Club.

It should be Hunt and Reach at wing back - absolutely obvious.

I actually thought Pudil and Venancio had decent games - Venancio had a communication breakdown with Wildsmith for the first goal but apart from that was good.

Just now, Dot said:

is it 3 or is it 5?

I'm confused, as are the players it seems

Fair play, I can't think of a reason they are looking a little confused at times other than perhaps trying to undo a lot of the CC approaches that will be a hangover for them in a game situation.

I like three at the back myself, just hope JL gets them firing on all cylinders fairly soon, but he's only just unpacked his luggage really.

One them games today. 

It is 5 snf whsteverdydtemyou use lckofquality defenders i a real problem. We tried to be abit more open in front of them and their ability was exposed. In previous league games we have gone with 2 banks of three. Thorniley looked ok when he came on, he is rising in packing order.

33 minutes ago, F. Spiksley said:

Fair play, I can't think of a reason they are looking a little confused at times other than perhaps trying to undo a lot of the CC approaches that will be a hangover for them in a game situation.

I like three at the back myself, just hope JL gets them firing on all cylinders fairly soon, but he's only just unpacked his luggage really.

33 minutes ago, Theboylangers said:

Their players seemed to be cutting through our midfield at will with no tackles flying in from anywhere.

sort of my point

is it 5 defenders and 3 midfielders or 3 defenders and 5 midfielders...the players look confused and were making mistakes big time.

(forgetting all this modern 3-2-1-2-2 or 5-3-1-1...or any combination)

defence- mid- attack for me

We seem to have players who don't know what their role is in this set up, we are certainly getting overrun in midfield at the moment (as we did against Reading initially) which is why I think its a 5-3-2

51 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not convinced it’s right for us at all We looked all over the place at the back today, with nobody seeming to know who was picking up who Not good

Today was the first time that looked the case, it also coincided with us giving the opposition a 2 goal and 1 man head start. 

Guest Theboylangers
45 minutes ago, Quist said:

It is 5 snf whsteverdydtemyou use lckofquality defenders i a real problem.  We tried to be abit more open in front of them and their ability was exposed. In previous league games we have gone with 2 banks of three. Thorniley looked ok when he came on, he is rising in packing order.

I'd get a new phone if I were you mate.

:stuwinky:

52 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

If we are playing with 3 at the back, you need your wing backs to be excellent going forward and to be the fittest at the Club.

It should be Hunt and Reach at wing back - absolutely obvious.

I actually thought Pudil and Venancio had decent games - Venancio had a communication breakdown with Wildsmith for the first goal but apart from that was good.

Completely agree. It has worked well from a defensive standpoint prior to today but if we are to continue with it then we need to offer more with the ball and Hunt & Reach would do this far more effectively. 

Sadly, given the options we have, for some reason Reach is now seen as the playmaker which is no good for him or the team. 

Not sure why Loovens was brought back in today, especially as he was the one sacrificed when a change was forced on us. Thorniley has done OK so far.

53 minutes ago, Quist said:

It is 5 snf whsteverdydtemyou use lckofquality defenders i a real problem. We tried to be abit more open in front of them and their ability was exposed. In previous league games we have gone with 2 banks of three. Thorniley looked ok when he came on, he is rising in packing order.

Posting and drinking is never a good combination but completely forgivable given what we have had to witness today.

The problem today was obvious before the goals but after them we fell away.

They played with two full backs and two wingers. We only had one wide player on each side. They worked it across the back got a full back free, he pushed on and we were in trouble.

We needed to impose our style on them , push them back and isolate their lone striker. Didn’t do it.

We just got dragged all over both up front and in the middle trying to cover for their advantage out wide.

Having said that they didn’t really create anything until we gave them two ridiculous goals.

Systems are  irrelevant when players do that 

as @Bouncing Owl said .. playing 3 at the back requires your wingbacks to be able to get up and down the pitch and put some quality in when going forward. Only Hunt is any good going forward but his end product isn't that great. However Fox and Palmer are absolutely abject going forward and more often then not, spend most of the time in the full back position meaning we're are playing 5 at the back and devoid of widemen in attacking areas - Birmingham exposed us down the flanks today ...

sigh :(

Carlos took some stick for his formations and no plan B

Today was worse than anything I have seen under Carlos, most of them did really not have a clue what they were supposed to be doing

No plan A , B or C