Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

14 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Surely Rhodes is on limited time. We can’t continue waiting for him to find his form. He’s got to find soon the goals he use to score or we’ll have to stop playing him because he’s a passenger if he’s not scoring. 

10 minutes ago, bigsheff said:

Between Joao & Jordans chances... If Hooper played tonight, we score, it's that simple.

The chairman gave the fans what they wanted so give him a a chance and service.

Just now, DJMortimer said:

Do I have a record of saying what a great signing Abdi was?

:huh:

And what does that have to do with Rhodes' performances anyway?

Just asking a simple question DJM.  

Wasn't meant to box you in on anything, just curiosity more than anything.  

Never said at one point that you said he was a great signing.  Two, has absolutely nothing to do with Rhodes, that's a given.

3 minutes ago, Hawkowl said:

Also he is not far goal wise behind Steven Fletcher who allegedly our highest paid player.

Who's been here 2 seasons.

Steven Fletcher         39+22 (14)

Jordan Rhodes          28+19 (9)

Fletcher's record is considerably better overall, but what has that got to do with anything? I don't rate him much either. But good or bad that has got nothing to do with whether Rhodes is playing well or not.

1 minute ago, Ronio said:

Just asking a simple question DJM.  

Wasn't meant to box you in on anything, just curiosity more than anything.  

Never said at one point that you said he was a great signing.  Two, has absolutely nothing to do with Rhodes, that's a given.

Well Abdi's time here has also been pretty miserable. For pretty much his entire time here he's been either a) injured, b) ignored, c) played out of position or d) not delivering.

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Steven Fletcher         39+22 (14)

Jordan Rhodes          28+19 (9)

Fletcher's record is considerably better overall, but what has that got to do with anything? I don't rate him much either. But good or bad that has got nothing to do with whether Rhodes is playing well or not.

It's not considerably better your stats just proved that.

The point that went over your head was Lucas, Dave or Fletcher have no more right to game time than JR from a goal scoring point of view..

FFS.

1 minute ago, Hawkowl said:

It's not considerably better your stats just proved that.

The point that went over your head was Lucas, Dave or Fletcher have no more right to game time than JR from a goal scoring point of view..

Rhodes would need to score 5 goals in his next 11 starts to match Fletcher - a big improvement on what he's done so far. And Fletcher's return is not a high bar to be reaching for in the first place.

But the problem is, most people accept Rhodes offers little other than his finishing. If he's not scoring goals, there's nothing really to fall back on and his limitations are exposed. The others, to some degree or other, can still contribute positively to a good performance. 

Judging strikers by goals alone is a fools errand anyway. As far as I'm concerned, if they play their part in a team that scores enough and is successful, then they are often justifying themselves (for example, Bergkamp providing for Henry at Arsenal whilst scoring rarely himself). Defenders don't get the same level of scrutiny for who makes the most tackles or anything like that. It's a team game.

I actually thought that was one of Rhodes’ best performance in a Wednesday shirt. I gave him a ‘6’ tonight and I think that pretty much sums up his career at Wednesday. He has been dreadful overall and I personally think he’s been one of our worst signings in our history given the fee and wages been spent.

25 minutes ago, selbyowls said:

The chairman gave the fans what they wanted so give him a a chance and service.

He is getting both, there is no escaping that fact.

He has had & will continue to get a good run in the team now without the competition of Hooper & Fletcher, so it's all down to him.

13 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Rhodes would need to score 5 goals in his next 11 starts to match Fletcher - a big improvement on what he's done so far. And Fletcher's return is not a high bar to be reaching for in the first place.

But the problem is, most people accept Rhodes offers little other than his finishing. If he's not scoring goals, there's nothing really to fall back on and his limitations are exposed. The others, to some degree or other, can still contribute positively to a good performance. 

Judging strikers by goals alone is a fools errand anyway. As far as I'm concerned, if they play their part in a team that scores enough and is successful, then they are often justifying themselves (for example, Bergkamp providing for Henry at Arsenal whilst scoring rarely himself). Defenders don't get the same level of scrutiny for who makes the most tackles or anything like that. It's a team game.

Ok who made LJs chances?

Also he cleared balls from our box.

That's not judging strikers by goals alone.

If JR hadn't had chances and made the best chances for LJ how any attempts would we have had?

Its a fools errand ignoring what else a striker does beside scoring goals.

FFS.

Guest RocketOwl
2 hours ago, welsOwl74 said:

rocket will be along shortly 

Nah let's keep happy clapping him until we are in league 1 #owlstalk 

He isn’t a flop, just not the right player for us - never was, maybe never will be. 

We didn’t need him either 

He never fitted in CC’s system and its yet to be seen if he will under JL.

Deserves a chance like everyone else though - he has had a tough time under CC. 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

7 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

He isn’t a flop, just not the right player for us - never was, maybe never will be. 

We didn’t need him either 

He never fitted in CC’s system and its yet to be seen if he will under JL.

Deserves a chance like everyone else though - he has had a tough time under CC. 

He gets plenty of chances and keeps missing them..that one in first half sat up for him perfectly..and you know the rest...hooper would have buried it