Spion Kop or East Bank?

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

As most will know, Spion Kop is Dutch/Africaans for 'look out hill' and was a 1900 Boer War battle.  The British lost so you won't find much reference to it in British history books.  

I've been going since 1958 and it was always Spion Kop.  Later shortened to Kop I reckon by the Liverpool infatuated press.

Arsenal had a North bank. Wolves a huge South bank.   In the 70s some of our more vociferous types starting calling it the East bank.  A fanzine 'view from the east bank' sprang up.   But the name died out.  

Hardly anyone calls it that nowadays.  No one says Owlerton anymore.  Old folk called it Owlerton back in the 50s. 

Loads of clubs had Kops, even Northampton, Blackpool etc.  

Villa was probably biggest but was always the Holte end.  

Yes an old bloke I worked with when I first started work around 1980 always called the ground owlerton. 

5 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Was it th pig with all the different cuts on it?

No it's the one with a shield badge within the shield is a slaughtered headless  pig hung up with blood dripping onto the floor, two men stand one at each side of the pig with Wednesday shirts on and cricket bats in their hands.

6 hours ago, Baggys battle bus said:

Kop / east bank.... south stand/ / old stand.... lower section of south stand was the terrace ( when you had the tunnel at the back ). North stand / cantilever. West stand / lepps .... north west corner / triangle

north west corner / triangle/ is the crows nest

22 hours ago, Flying V said:

Think I read somewhere that Spion Kop  was at Rorks drift in the Boer war and a Wednesday fan said the East bank resembled it.

Spion Kop (or Kop for short) is a colloquial name or term for a number of single tier terraces and stands at sports stadiums, particularly in the United Kingdom. Their steep nature resembles a hill near Ladysmith, South Africa, that was the scene of the Battle ofSpion Kop in January 1900 during the Second Boer War.

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 20:49, Aren't we? said:

Question for the Wednesday historians and/or oldies on this forum.

When did the 'home end' at Hillsborough become known as the Spion Kop/East Bank? and which name do you associate with it?

The term Spion Kop dates back to the early twentieth century, and was used by many clubs, but when was it adopted by Wednesday? Similarly, the term East Bank dates back to the sixties/seventies I believe, but I don't know how it originated, or if it was used formally by the club?

Over to you.

was it not pinched  from the name of  a battle or something in south Africa

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 00:48, samowl said:

Right. The Spion Kop is not unique to Hillsborough.  Or in fact to them Scouse flaps. The original Kop was as people have stated earlier was a hill in South Africa i.e also called a Bank. East Bank comes from tickets bought in the sixties when there was a print of the ground on the back of the ticket. 

It said...Penistone Road (East Enclosure). Hence the name East Bank 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Spion_Kop