Dom Howson

7 minutes ago, M Royds said:

Do you not think these two won't have their detracters?

Martin Samuel has plenty - just check out the comments printed below each article

But then he'll often publish a weekly 'debate' where he gets to stick up for himself - bit of a highlight, again IMO

Perhaps we ought to be making the distinction here between 'sports journalist' and 'local reporter'

Just now, steelowl said:

Well yes 

I think most complaints against reporters are based on bland, ambiguous reporting of the obvious

but then they are tasked with production of say 250 words and due to lack of knowledge they are space fillers

It also needs to be recognised that reporters especially local sometimes have to keep quiet on stuff until an agreed release

Exactly, and the point I'm trying to make. Whoever you suggest they'll be someone on here who questions the journo's credentials. Sadly it happens on here far too often where we have an actives membership that reviews journo's, often negatively, like Biggs, Nixon, et al.

It's a footy forum not a shoot the messenger alley. We should stick whats important to some of the membership such review the sky sports presenters.

25 minutes ago, M Royds said:

Exactly, and the point I'm trying to make. Whoever you suggest they'll be someone on here who questions the journo's credentials. Sadly it happens on here far too often where we have an actives membership that reviews journo's, often negatively, like Biggs, Nixon, et al.

It's a footy forum not a shoot the messenger alley. We should stick whats important to some of the membership such review the sky sports presenters.

you lost me with the last sentence mate 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Disagree

I don’t see how anyone could disagree

Im a fair man, but he’s truly woeful. He’ll be along in a week or so with his column that will waffle on and fill column inches without actually saying anything. He also frequently defends the indefensible, it’s as though he’s scared to speak his mind so’s not to upset anybody. Which is a world away from Holt, Howson, Newsome, Staton, Giddings etc who have all said it how it is this season

On 30/12/2017 at 10:56, M Royds said:

Can you point me to a good sports journalist?

There's a link here, in case you're still interested   :rolleyes:

If, like me, you're not too bothered about cricket or tennis, you can read the start and then jump to Point Five at the end

The way MS interacts with his 'detractors' is really quite admirable (and well worth about 15-20mins of your time) ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-5232489/Fawlty-arguments-trying-stop-Man-City-greats.html

25 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

There's a link here, in case you're still interested   :rolleyes:

If, like me, you're not too bothered about cricket or tennis, you can read the start and then jump to Point Five at the end

The way MS interacts with his 'detractors' is really quite admirable (and well worth about 15-20mins of your time) ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-5232489/Fawlty-arguments-trying-stop-Man-City-greats.html

it is a good read and he tries to justify his style of journalism but there's a danger of him becoming celeb journey.

My point is that unless journo's particularly local one's are dismissed, ridiculed, insulted unless they are either arśe licking Sheffield Wednesday or just telling us what we want to hear.