The Cult of Megson

7 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Milan started to sort out the off field stuff (as he himself admitted the club was in an even worse state than he realised) and Megson the on field.

As you say getting rid of the deadwood and then, as top managers do, bring in the right players for the job; the likes of Bywater, Rob Jones, Lliera, Baath, Marshall, Semedo, Lines, Antonio, COG and get the best out of existing players like Madine (who was injured for a decent chunk of that season let’s not forget).

The last result in that sequence you mention was very important. We beat the pigs and it turned out to be an important  catalyst for their downturn and our upturn in form and results.

Yep, he did well spending that top 3 budget, and had us around the top 3. Harsh sacking, although proved to be a good decision.

But what about that suggests he'd A) save this season, considering he was awful when he took over a stuttering side in 10/11 (despite you lot rewriting history and claiming he "kept us up" lol)

and B) with a budget nowhere near top 3 this year, how would he surpass expectations, given that when he had everything in his favour, he couldn't do so?

Not much hope of getting the Championship equivalent of Ben10 or Antonio in L1. They were way too good for that level.  

2 minutes ago, Theboylangers said:

Yes, you can point out stats to suit any argument.

How about this one, our last 6 games under CC, DDDDLL. 

Bring the Ginger Messiah home. 

Completely irrelevant and shows how narrow minded Mggo fans are.

What's Carlos's form got to do with Megson's form of 11/12?

For a start many people want neither.

Also Megson was in L1 with a squad more than capable of playing good football and getting promoted, he was stuttering, we played awful football and the form was bad, so why replace one manager that is struggling with another that was struggling?

Bizarre. 

Guest Theboylangers
4 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Completely irrelevant and shows how narrow minded Mggo fans are.

What's Carlos's form got to do with Megson's form of 11/12?

For a start many people want neither.

Also Megson was in L1 with a squad more than capable of playing good football and getting promoted, he was stuttering, we played awful football and the form was bad, so why replace one manager that is struggling with another that was struggling?

Bizarre. 

What has Megson's form from 2012 got anything to do now? 

You need to accept the fact that a number of fans would like him back and quoting a few statistics won't change that. 

That was the point I was making. 

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

I’d take struggling in third place now having just beaten the team in second all day.

Yeah I would, but getting us into L1's top 3, with everything in your favour, is a completely different thing to getting us into the Championship's top 6, with so many others that have spent as much or more than us, and who were better placed than us before that spending started.

Just now, Theboylangers said:

What has Megson's form from 2012 got anything to do now? 

You need to accept the fact that a number of fans would like him back and quoting a few statistics won't change that. 

That was the point I was making. 

Well if you don't take what he did (or didn't do) for us into account and just want him back coz.. errr he's Meggo, then fair enough.

Guest Theboylangers
Just now, Donny.Owl said:

Well if you don't take what he did (or didn't do) for us into account and just want him back coz.. errr he's Meggo, then fair enough.

These threads are slightly tongue in cheek but there is a thought that maybe he can't do any worse than the current manager.

And to be fair, I think he would do a better job (none of us actually know this of course). 

Go with the flow and join us. 

garymegson

10 hours ago, Donny.Owl said:

Yeah I would, but getting us into L1's top 3, with everything in your favour, is a completely different thing to getting us into the Championship's top 6, with so many others that have spent as much or more than us, and who were better placed than us before that spending started.

Huddersfield last season?

Money helps but it's more about the right blend at the club.

Influx of new members this week including ex physio Paul Smith.

The cult grows stronger.

Guardiola when speaking about GM recently...

“You may find another me, Mournho or Ferguson but they will never find another Gary Megson a man I admire greatly and a man who’s class cannot be matched.”

Bring HIM home Dejphon and let HIM guide us to glory.

Edited by s6 owl

3 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Huddersfield last season?

Money helps but it's more about the right blend at the club.

Exception not the rule.

It happens, but it's not something you can expect or demand.

If we'd have gotten over the finish line in 15/16, fans of other clubs would be pointing to us as an example of going up relatively cheaply.

14 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Exception not the rule.

It happens, but it's not something you can expect or demand.

If we'd have gotten over the finish line in 15/16, fans of other clubs would be pointing to us as an example of going up relatively cheaply.

Burnley

Watford

Seems to me there is an exception almost every season.We just need to make sure that next time out we are that exception which will require root and branch change.

5 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Burnley

Watford

Seems to me there is an exception almost every season.We just need to make sure that next time out we are that exception which will require root and branch change.

Well I don't know what their budgets were, sure Watford had wealthy owners and some kind of Italian partner loaning them players?

Irrelevant anyway, the point was (in the post you originally quoted) Megson was faltering in L1 with a top 3 budget, so what is there to suggest he'd get us into the top 6 or better, without such a luxury?

Having a bit of money, relative to the league we're in has clouded some fan's minds. Some think we're the Championship Man City. We're not huge spenders, we're simply spending somewhere around the norm and we're not used to it.

As for Megson. In his 1st season here, he failed to turn around our form and get us back into the top 6. That was the aim, despite the fact his fans have now painted the picture that he succeeded in saving us from the drop! lol

His 2nd season he was par for the course.

Harsh sacking.

To meet fan's current expectations, he'd had to be much much better than that.