A few ‘outsider’ thoughts..

42 minutes ago, toppOwl said:

There’s more holes in the opening statement than a particularly holey colander I can’t believe I’ve wasted valuable seconds reading it.

Are you being serious?

OP has hit the nail on the head!

If all this were happening at Bramall Lane we’d be pi$$ing ourselves but because it’s happening to us some find ways to justify it.

I’ll never understand why fans of other teams post on rival boards.

Whitey, JV and a few DRWAB’s are regular posters on here, I’m sure it works the other way too but why?

Just now, Ash76 said:

I’ll never understand why fans of other teams post on rival boards.

Whitey, JV and a few DRWAB’s are regular posters on here, I’m sure it works the other way too but why?

To be honest I find an outside perspective very interesting.

The more opinions the better. Makes for a great forum.

Owlstalk is also much more active than their forums.

9 hours ago, BRADDO said:

I said a few weeks ago, I wouldn't be surprised if DC bails out quicker than many would have believed. 30 million spent on the squad and currently no better than under stu gray. He must realise the whole squad needs an overhaul but with many ageing and crocked players on Premier league wages and FFP limit reached, we're probably fecked. Not to mention that Cc and his entire Clique will need paying off. 

I really dont believe the whole squad needs an overhaul. I think we need maybe 2 or 3 and get rid of 2 or 3. I think a new manager with new ideas and new formation maybe all we need. I think our performances would improve no end. Confidence has a lot to do with it and we dont have that at the minute.

10 hours ago, W H I T E Y said:

Imagine taking charge of one of England’s biggest and most famous clubs. Then deciding to change the shirt, the badge, and get your own name emblazoned on the seating. And some flags with your name and face on. Not made by fans. Just plonked there. 

Imagine the son of one of your greatest ever players coming through the ranks and looking ready to play for the first team, knowing that if he scored just one goal, the headlines etc.... ‘Hirst is Back at Hillsborough’ etc. But not including him. Then trying to bad mouth him and in turn, sway fans against the legend that is David Hirst. Can’t believe you’re swallowing that by the way. 

I've been a huge critic of both Chansiri and Carvalhal over the last 12 months, but the two bits in bold are unfair

The first is simply untrue, we all thought it was him before it came out it was a fans' group (If you're referring to the banners found around seating areas)

The second one is completely missing the facts of the case. It's very easy to say that Hirst has been treated unfairly, but when you realise the impasse is that he's asking for wages higher than that of even relatively established first-teamers... you can't win. 

The rest... all extremely valid... :sad:

1 hour ago, House Stark said:

Are you being serious?

OP has hit the nail on the head!

If all this were happening at Bramall Lane we’d be pi$$ing ourselves but because it’s happening to us some find ways to justify it.

Seeing as I’ve been challenged twice here goes - the flags featuring the chairman were made and put in place by the Facebook group The Kop End. Shirts and badges get changed no matter who’s in charge.

GH was ready for the first - pure speculation and who would have been dropped to put him in if he was.

Chansiri under pressure from fans direct questions gave his side of the GH saga - bad mouthing, really???

What sponsors have been priced out, they were contributing next to nothing.

A few other words might have a smidgen of fact but on the whole it’s rubbish, I can sort of accept it coming from a dingle but for our own fans to agree is staggering.

16 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I've been a huge critic of both Chansiri and Carvalhal over the last 12 months, but the two bits in bold are unfair

The first is simply untrue, we all thought it was him before it came out it was a fans' group (If you're referring to the banners found around seating areas)

The second one is completely missing the facts of the case. It's very easy to say that Hirst has been treated unfairly, but when you realise the impasse is that he's asking for wages higher than that of even relatively established first-teamers... you can't win. 

The rest... all extremely valid... :sad:

I just noticed those flags near the away end when we visited recently. Found it bizarre. But fair play if they were fans’. 

If you played Hirst his value would be huge. Even off the bench. Think of the hype around it. The great David Hirst’s son. It’s such an own goal to make a mess of that. 

But my opinions are from the outside looking in. And merely opinions.

Big game next up.

7 minutes ago, W H I T E Y said:

I just noticed those flags near the away end when we visited recently. Found it bizarre. But fair play if they were fans’. 

If you played Hirst his value would be huge. Even off the bench. Think of the hype around it. The great David Hirst’s son. It’s such an own goal to make a mess of that. 

Big game next up.

Hirst would have played had he been good enough, he isn’t yet.

Brooks at United is more advanced and not getting a start.

8 minutes ago, W H I T E Y said:

Big game next up.

Issue is you don't want to upset the wage structure. The contract Hirst wanted was up to what established first-teamers were getting... do that and you'll have players with 50+ appearances asking why they're not on more money and we'd have all top academy prospects asking for 5 figure wages. Just unsustainable.

Not that what we've got going on at the moment isn't equally bad in terms of finances. But we might as well not make things any worse than they already are... 

Imagine taking charge of one of England’s biggest and most famous clubs. Then deciding to change the shirt, the badge, and get your own name emblazoned on the seating. And some flags with your name and face on. Not made by fans. Just plonked there.

The shirt will change countless times. I like the badge change...and so do many others. 

The name across the North Stand etc is the price of doing business, it's the price of wanting someone to come in and spend shed loads of money. Which he has done. It's no different to Man Utd having a Nike tick or many many other clubs with sponsors logo's all over the shop. 

Imagine the son of one of your greatest ever players coming through the ranks and looking ready to play for the first team, knowing that if he scored just one goal, the headlines etc.... ‘Hirst is Back at Hillsborough’ etc. But not including him. Then trying to bad mouth him and in turn, sway fans against the legend that is David Hirst. Can’t believe you’re swallowing that by the way. 

"looking ready to play for the first team" he played for the first time, last season. He looked out of sorts. He's not going to get a game in front of Hooper, Rhodes, Fletcher et al.  All of those players are struggling to score due to tactics and lack of attacking option. Hirst will struggle, and we'll ruin him. 

In terms of the "bad mouthing" please keep in mind that it's the Hirst camp that went to the papers, it's the Hirst camp that's done all of the talking so far. The club had to respond. There are indeed two sides to the story, and as much i loved Hirsty, i'm not willing to blindly support him and lambast my own club. I'm fankly shocked that people would rather believe Hirst and Hirst jnr are innocent in all of this. 

Its all about money.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the OP (apart from the thing with the Chansiri flags, that turned out to not really be the club's fault).

Even more worryingly, it's just the tip of the iceberg.  Theres also Doyen, the shirt debacle, ticket prices, the clusterfuck that has been our 150th anniversary,  the fact that all of our players seem to lack basic physical fitness, whatever shenanagens is going on with 'Elev-8' and 'D-Taxis'...  I'm sure I've probably missed some stuff too.

Edited by owlinexile