Perspective

I'd say I have perspective in that I have no interest in running around with a pitchfork, but we're in a cr@p run and something has to change, that much is clear. I was at another game today but walking in I said to my mate that we'd get nothing to do and I was thoroughly unsurprised to be proven right. Doesn't mean I've lost interest or passion but it is all a bit depressing.

I agree to a certain extent I don't want us to become a club who go through managers at a rate of knots but I feel it's come to the point it would be mutually beneficial for a parting of the ways 

i like Carlos he's a good manager and a great bloke but it's not coming off if he left now he would get a good job pretty quick and we could rescue our season 

i loved big jack but he left at the right time for us and himself which is how I see it now 

Guest mrbluesky
10 hours ago, Coyt said:

We owe him absolutely nothing, he's not earned any more time whatsoever. The club's results this season and position prove that. 

And you want to keep him until it's game over?

Wow, just wow.

This

What brought it home to me yesterday was seeing Huddersfield’s result - and well done to them. 

But it we could very easily have been there, playing Man U yesterday (not saying we’d beat them). I’m not jealous, I’m just miffed because the best chance we had was last season in the playoffs and we surrendered with a whimper. We were a better team than Huddersfield, we had the upper hand on them and had a good record against them yet IMO CC’s tactics threw it away. 

Ok -that’s gone, new season let’s strengthen and go again. I didn’t think we’d get 1 or 2 strong teams running away with the league this year (such as Newcastle, Brighton) so every chance we could aim for the top 2. But no, we continue with where we left off, tippy tappy going no where creating little, inviting mediocre teams to come onto us and have a go, going behind in games and being up against it. The bottom 4 have taken 8 points from us ffs. 

I still think it’s there for the taking, no ones gonna run away at the top, any team with a good run can get up there and challenge for top 2. But I’ve seen nothing this season that tells me CC is the man to take us up there, and the underlying fact is still 17 months after that play off final v Hull we’re still starting games with virtually the same team. No improvement, money wasted. 

10 hours ago, Grandad said:

I went to Birmingham and Bolton.

And Preston, Burton and today.

I agree with him

I went to all of those games too. Which is why I have absolutely no confidence in Carlos turning things round, it's just the same old rubbish. A bit of fight in the team yesterday (whilst never really looking like scoring) doesn't make things OK, that should be expected in every game.

I'm done with away games now until things change. I've spent hundreds of pounds and countless hours travelling already this season and in return I've come away from one game happy (Fulham, which was due to the result more than any real entertainment value). 

The main arguments I hear in support of Carlos are either "we started slowly last year and finished 4th" and "look where we were 5 years ago", both of which are completely irrelevant to our current situation. 

10 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

What brought it home to me yesterday was seeing Huddersfield’s result - and well done to them. 

But it we could very easily have been there, playing Man U yesterday (not saying we’d beat them). I’m not jealous, I’m just miffed because the best chance we had was last season in the playoffs and we surrendered with a whimper. We were a better team than Huddersfield, we had the upper hand on them and had a good record against them yet IMO CC’s tactics threw it away. 

Ok -that’s gone, new season let’s strengthen and go again. I didn’t think we’d get 1 or 2 strong teams running away with the league this year (such as Newcastle, Brighton) so every chance we could aim for the top 2. But no, we continue with where we left off, tippy tappy going no where creating little, inviting mediocre teams to come onto us and have a go, going behind in games and being up against it. The bottom 4 have taken 8 points from us ffs. 

I still think it’s there for the taking, no ones gonna run away at the top, any team with a good run can get up there and challenge for top 2. But I’ve seen nothing this season that tells me CC is the man to take us up there, and the underlying fact is still 17 months after that play off final v Hull we’re still starting games with virtually the same team. No improvement, money wasted. 

Derby fan I was sat with said we'd regressed as a team watching us yesterday.  'Pedestrian football with no end product' was his words and that to be honest summed up a bit of last season and certainly most of this.

If this "run" which will get us towards the playoffs is gonna come then we won't get a better opportunity to get it together than the next four games. Three winnable home games n a point at Villa. Not too much of an ask really is it ?

1 minute ago, BobsMagicCalculator said:

Derby fan I was sat with said we'd regressed as a team watching us yesterday.  'Pedestrian football with no end product' was his words and that to be honest summed up a bit of last season and certainly most of this.

Havent seen the stats, is it right we had zero shots on target?

1 minute ago, Justbeanz said:

If this "run" which will get us towards the playoffs is gonna come then we won't get a better opportunity to get it together than the next four games. Three winnable home games n a point at Villa. Not too much of an ask really is it ?

I was thinking that after the pigs fiasco, 3 winnable games and Leeds was a problem. We won the problem game and lost the easy 3. 

Just now, Essix Blue said:

Havent seen the stats, is it right we had zero shots on target?

Indeed it is, their keeper not a save to make.  We should have had a penalty with Fletcher though I had the best view in the ground and everyone around though the same.  But we wouldn't have scored if we had been allowed to play till midnight.

3 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

I was thinking that after the pigs fiasco, 3 winnable games and Leeds was a problem. We won the problem game and lost the easy 3. 

Exactly this. How can we get perspective with very little to give us optimism ?

The problem with our fans is we're completely binary.  Win and we're on HMS P!ss The League, loose and we're getting relegated and the manager should be executed on the South Stand bridge!

There's no context or middle ground with our fans (as a group).

10 hours ago, Chardron said:

If I see one more person comparing us nearly going into administration to now.....

It's irrelevant.

It's not though is it.  Because we could quite easily be a non-entity.  Or even back in that position.  Why is it irrelevant to look back on the bad times and think "well at least it's not that bad".  It's called context.  Yes things aren't great at the minute, could they be worse, MILES!

Just not bothered...

6 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

The problem with our fans is we're completely binary.  Win and we're on HMS P!ss The League, loose and we're getting relegated and the manager should be executed on the South Stand bridge!

There's no context or middle ground with our fans (as a group).

It's not though is it.  Because we could quite easily be a non-entity.  Or even back in that position.  Why is it irrelevant to look back on the bad times and think "well at least it's not that bad".  It's called context.  Yes things aren't great at the minute, could they be worse, MILES!

If people think that the last three years are the worse at the club...and I've seen posters putting this along with the defeat against the blades being our worst defeat against them then they've got no idea

11 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Do you think we as a group of fans have lost it? 

Some of the posts on the site are embarrassing. Accusing dc of ineptitude for not sacking Carlos, suggesting that there are wide reaching issues at the club... with the usual trolls stirring the pot.

We have some of the most loyal fans in the country to our own. We will help each other out in moments of need, but the moment Carlos goes through a tough patch the knives are out. 

People need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Apply a level of sensible perspective. We're in a tough league but we have a good squad and a good manager (as proven by his performance to date). We're having a hiccup but we're not going to go down and with a decent run could be in and around the play offs soon enough. A few years back we were on our arse facing admin. If it takes another year or so to go up then it takes another year or so - chill out. No one wants us to be that club that hires and fires every 6 months. 

Totally agree. We have a good squad and we’re in a false position. Yesterday I thought we fought for it and were unlucky with the decisions. Bolton and Brum and pigs were very hard to take. I’ll find it hard to speak til about Wednesday and right now feel sick with the results, but we have to swallow this and tough it out, starting with Barnsley. Play offs aren’t beyond us so let’s get behind the team, whether or not you think Carlos should go. 

Regardless of whether anyone feels that it's justified to call for the manager's head or not, we should all follow OPs advice and get a bit of perspective.

Look at where we've been at times in the past 10 years, and look at where we are now. Bottom half of the Championship and in a bit of a slump is not ideal by any stretch, but it's a damn sight better than scrabbling around in League 1 and knocking on the door of administration.

Apparently there was fighting in the away end today between our own fans. Because Derby scored a second goal. That is, quite frankly, embarrassing. It's incredibly frustrating when you pay a fair bit of money to travel and watch us lose, but when there are kids in the crowd behaving better than you then you should be ashamed of yourself, whoever it was that thought a punch up was warranted (granted, they're probably not on Owlstalk...)

Remember when we all used to laugh at pigs fans for coming up with stupid excuses and theories about their club and players refusing to play for the manager, thinking officials were conspiring against them and wanting a new manager every week? Yeah, I remember.

Edited by eddyowl123
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mattitheowl said:

But that didn't happen did it? We are an entity so let's compare the current season to the other 2 seasons under Carlos.... that s relevant.