Hooper/Fletch

Joao should be alongside Hooper against Barnsley, only player we have with a bit of pace and trickery, can score a goal out of nothing as well. Time for Butterfield to get a run as well, and would love to see Matias given a chance in place of Wallace. 

Edited by Not Jon Newsome

1 minute ago, Nick the Owl said:

...Which is fair to some extent.

But the opening thread was about trying something else with regard to the midfield (presumably to increase the chance of winning), I'm just saying that not being down to 10 men after 4 mins is probably more important than that tactical changes and not within Carlos' control.

Ten men or not. We tried hard and huffed and puffed but couldn't muster a shot on target today. 

Be all and end all of football is if your chairman and manager are telling you our aim in promotion and we are sat in 16th then the manager is always going to come under pressure. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Ten men or not. We tried hard and huffed and puffed but couldn't muster a shot on target today. 

Be all and end all of football is if your chairman and manager are telling you our aim in promotion and we are sat in 16th then the manager is always going to come under pressure. 

This 100%

2 minutes ago, 1993swfc said:

Ten or eleven men will have quite a big difference on the outcome of the match. We were away at a good Derby side with 10 men for 86 mins, what do people realistically expect?

Regardless of the bigger picture here (modern day football as it is says Carlos has to go, regardless of logic etc), people should still be fair to Carlos.

Name a manager/formation/line-up that is impervious to losing a man after 4 mins and then I'll agree and say we should have done better, just don't feel like aimlessly booting Carlos when certain things are CLEARLY not his fault (call me old-fashioned).

14 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Joao should be alongside Hooper against Barnsley, only player we have with a bit of pace and trickery, can score a goal out of nothing as well. Time for Butterfield to get a run as well, and would love to see Matias given a chance in place of Wallace. 

Joao was a handfull for them when he came on today,they really struggled with his height and pace

18 minutes ago, Nick the Owl said:

Ten or eleven men will have quite a big difference on the outcome of the match. We were away at a good Derby side with 10 men for 86 mins, what do people realistically expect?

Regardless of the bigger picture here (modern day football as it is says Carlos has to go, regardless of logic etc), people should still be fair to Carlos.

Name a manager/formation/line-up that is impervious to losing a man after 4 mins and then I'll agree and say we should have done better, just don't feel like aimlessly booting Carlos when certain things are CLEARLY not his fault (call me old-fashioned).

Had we been giving good performances with 11 I'd see your point as would most fans. But that's not the case, fans are judging it on another defeat. Ten players didn't disadvantage us that much we couldn't get a shot on target did it

1 hour ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

"Can score a goal out of nothing"?

Upto the Derby his last goal for us was February 2016.

We have lots of problems, but our strike partnership is not one of them.

6 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Hooper and Fletcher are one of the only successes of the season so far.

Utterly rediculous to be calling for them to be broken up after what, two goalless games! 

We have many problems, but they lie elsewhere. 

Unfortunately one of our problems is a lack of pace within the side. Joao is one of the few players in the squad with a bit of pace. The obvious way to get him into the team would be at the expense of Fletcher up front.

Edited by York_Owl

Just now, York_Owl said:

Unfortunately one of our problems is a lack of pace within the side. Joao is one of the few players in the squad with a bit of pace. The obvious way to get him

into the team would be at the expense of Fletcher up front.

But it's not is it?

Pace doesn't win matches. Goals win matches. 

Fletcher scores goals. Lucas doesn't. Fletcher works brilliantly as a foil for Hooper. Lucas might.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

But it's not is it?

Pace doesn't win matches. Goals win matches. 

Fletcher scores goals. Lucas doesn't. Fletcher works brilliantly as a foil for Hooper. Lucas might.

What’s not?

goals can be hard to come by without a bit of pace in the team. We may find that we actually score more goals as a team when we include this missing ingredient.

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

"Can score a goal out of nothing"?

Upto the Derby his last goal for us was February 2016.

We have lots of problems, but our strike partnership is not one of them.

To be fair to him last season was a write off, he got injured in pre season, came back and took a bit to get up to speed before being loaned out to Blackburn. I like Hooper and Fletcher but the lack of pace and unpredictability in the team is killing us, Joao has some serious ability. 

31 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

To be fair to him last season was a write off, he got injured in pre season, came back and took a bit to get up to speed before being loaned out to Blackburn. I like Hooper and Fletcher but the lack of pace and unpredictability in the team is killing us, Joao has some serious ability. 

Like your posts and views but can't agree with you here. 

It it doesn't matter how you score. You just have to score. Whether by pace, or power, or skill....irrelevant. It's about goals.

In Fletcher-Hooper we have the most free-scoring partnership in the division. We need to look elsewhere for the problems in our side.

5 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I can't see this happening, he does have pace and has made a big impact when coming on in recent games but that's all I see him as an impact sub, I really don't believe he has it in him yet to give 100% week in week out.

saying that though, it's only my opinion and I do hope i'm proved wrong

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Like your posts and views but can't agree with you here. 

It it doesn't matter how you score. You just have to score. Whether by pace, or power, or skill....irrelevant. It's about goals.

In Fletcher-Hooper we have the most free-scoring partnership in the division. We need to look elsewhere for the problems in our side.

I disagree

I like both players, and I like the partnership but I think we're far too predictable. 

What we've seen recently is Hooper getting pressured and pushed further away from goal, and from Fletcher.

Id have Fletcher up top with João and Hooper at the top of the diamond. The threat of João's pace should give Hooper a little more room to work in.

I'd have Bannan playing that narrow role from the left and Wallace on the right.

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Hutch

Fox

Wallace

Lee

Bannan

Hooper

Joao 

Fletcher

my word are we missing Fernando..