Calling Sheffield Wednesday fans - Put your money where your mouth is

4 minutes ago, BenOwl1867 said:

True the average joe will not self fund a course with no guaranteed role for over £1k never going to happen. If you have been in the coaching game for some time and have level 2 which really tells someone how and why we coach this should be enough. Its not a pop at Wednesday every professional and most non-professional clubs ask for this level of qualification. Rant over just gets on my boobies!

I disagree

Lots of people self-fund themselves to get qualifications on order to progress

And Level 2 is a very basic course - it doesn't mean the holder of a Level 2 can't be a decent coach - but there has to be a minimum requirement - as there are in most walks of life

It proves you have attained a standard consistent with the criteria of the award you are seeking - and that's measurable across the board

1 hour ago, scram said:

I disagree

And Level 2 is a very basic course - it doesn't mean the holder of a Level 2 can't be a decent coach - but there has to be a minimum requirement - as there are in most walks of life

It proves you have attained a standard consistent with the criteria of the award you are seeking - and that's measurable across the board

Please put me in touch with people who have self funded UFEA B. Nobody will self fund that course

Did any of you chaps ever see that documentary about that Greek chap in London.  Worked in a kebab shop. Had played Semi pro. He funded himself through just about every badge going. Then he'd got come Canadian badges. He'd been to the Italian place, I forget what they call it. 

He couldn't get a gig for love nor money. He'd got rejection letters from everywhere. He'd gone (at that time. Think it was about ten years ago) for the Lincoln job.  I'm waffling. But the main thing that came across from the show was that everywhere he went , the first question they always asked him was "Who did you play for?". 

In a way you can understand it. Rightly or wrongly supporters like to see 'names' attached to their clubs. As do some chairman. 

I think there is still a bit of that old thing about your pre career making a difference. 

Thing though,  whilst it makes sense that someone who has brought up 'in football' , in that environment for 30 years,  worked with the best , must have picked up a wide range of knowledge.... we have probably all met ex pros who when you chat with them have clearly not really picked much up at all. 

There has to bee a standard entry point requirement. Has to be. Otherwise you'd probably just end up with a load of level 1 P.E teachers coaching the nation's kids.  There has to be a standard that has been reached. 

That said.  I've heard of fast tracking where some players have sailed through badges where they haven't been as harshly judged as the 'non pros'. 

Ahh. Ignore me. I'm on this blasted phone while the PC is in for repair and I haven't got the patience to try and any better describe what I mean. And this bloody autospell malarkey is a right old pain in the Harris too. 

Yours,

Fat fingered touchscreen hater 

Sheffield

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Did any of you chaps ever see that documentary about that Greek chap in London.  Worked in a kebab shop. Had played Semi pro. He funded himself through just about every badge going. Then he'd got come Canadian badges. He'd been to the Italian place, I forget what they call it. 

He couldn't get a gig for love nor money. He'd got rejection letters from everywhere. He'd gone (at that time. Think it was about ten years ago) for the Lincoln job.  I'm waffling. But the main thing that came across from the show was that everywhere he went , the first question they always asked him was "Who did you play for?". 

In a way you can understand it. Rightly or wrongly supporters like to see 'names' attached to their clubs. As do some chairman. 

I think there is still a bit of that old thing about your pre career making a difference. 

Thing though,  whilst it makes sense that someone who has brought up 'in football' , in that environment for 30 years,  worked with the best , must have picked up a wide range of knowledge.... we have probably all met ex pros who when you chat with them have clearly not really picked much up at all. 

There has to bee a standard entry point requirement. Has to be. Otherwise you'd probably just end up with a load of level 1 P.E teachers coaching the nation's kids.  There has to be a standard that has been reached. 

That said.  I've heard of fast tracking where some players have sailed through badges where they haven't been as harshly judged as the 'non pros'. 

Ahh. Ignore me. I'm on this blasted phone while the PC is in for repair and I haven't got the patience to try and any better describe what I mean. And this bloody autospell malarkey is a right old pain in the Harris too. 

Yours,

Sheffield

I don't think it just applies to the football  Snoots,  it's industry wide and always has been I think..a good mate of mine many many years ago fancied doing something different and went for his HGV class 1 all self funded then tried to get a job ... Not a chance "Who have you worked for ?

Come back when you get experience and have smashed someone else's rig up "

I still think even now  it's a "who you know" not what you know world we live in , even though throughout any  industry and football in particular people get found out much quicker if they fail to live up to expectations (always think of that guy George Weahs "cousin" Souness bought on a whim at Southampton he he ) he got found out quick eh?

5 hours ago, scram said:

I disagree

It's mostly bullcsit.

There is absolutely no correlation between coaching awards and actual achievement in football.

Everyone has to do it.

4 hours ago, BenOwl1867 said:

Please put me in touch with people who have self funded UFEA B. Nobody will self fund that course

I know loads - literally loads. I'm one of them btw

How do you think most people get a UEFA B?

Unless you're an ex PFA member there is no funding for it - unless a club pays for it

And clubs want coaches who are minimum UEFA B licence - so they already have it

Oh - and i know plenty who have self funded A and Pro licence - £10k's worth...

Edited by scram

20 hours ago, BenOwl1867 said:

Winds me up this as a level 2 qualified coach no club is willing to take level 2 qualified people up. Someone with level 2 could have 10 years experience and success but someone with uefa B and 2 years would get it. Nobody will pay over £1k for a Uefa B one their own, clubs should look at lower qualified and experience and offer part or full funding

If you want it. Go and get it. If its worth the investment. 

Not an expert but I am guessing you have to be UEFA B due to the academy category status. If we go lower than UEFA B that might jeopardise our category status and our ability to recruit the top prospects. 

Out of interest, say you got eufa b what would that entitle you to do? What is the earning potential? Yeh sure 1k sounds a lot but usually these things pay for themselves. Depends what you want to do and how relevant having that qually is.  Coach at juniour/ sunday league or lower steps or whether you think you can go further. 

14 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yours,

Sheffield

I see what you are saying but just like any job it is entirely possible to work your way up the rankings. 

I started in a call centre 11 years ago and now I look after daily call centre operations. 

I am also a referee. Its take 4 years but I am now assisting at semi pro level and lookibg to go further. Again had to start at bottom rung and work through the levels. 

Same as football. Anyone who thinks they gunna get uefa a and then waltz into a pro/semi pro club is fairly misguided. What you need to do is start somewhere like step 7 ( supply league). There are loads of step 6 and step 5 (contributory leagues) who play their reserves at this level. Do well, what do you know you're now running the 1st team. Do well and the next opportunity opens up. So on and so forth. 

Again not an expert but look at the lincoln boss... pe teacher? Look at the salford joint managers, now gone pro (ok so got good backing but they have worked hard to get to that level). And whats that scottish lad, Cathro is it? Again, no name but has worked his way to, debatable, the top of scottish football. 

Bottom line is nothing is given. Do well and be rewarded.

Edited by Warringtonowl

10 minutes ago, Warringtonowl said:

I see what you are saying but just like any job it is entirely possible to work your way up the rankings. 

I started in a call centre 11 years ago and now I look after daily call centre operations. 

I am also a referee. Its take 4 years but I am now assisting at semi pro level and lookibg to go further. Again had to start at bottom rung and work through the levels. 

Same as football. Anyone who thinks they gunna get uefa a and then waltz into a pro/semi pro club is fairly misguided. What you need to do is start somewhere like step 7 ( supply league). There are loads of step 6 and step 5 (contributory leagues) who play their reserves at this level. Do well, what do you know you're now running the 1st team. Do well and the next opportunity opens up. So on and so forth. 

Again not an expert but look at the lincoln boss... pe teacher? Look at the salford joint managers, now gone pro (ok so got good backing but they have worked hard to get to that level). And whats that scottish lad, Cathro is it? Again, no name but has worked his way to, debatable, the top of scottish football. 

Bottom line is nothing is given. Do well and be rewarded.

Equally, be called Harry Redknapp and be rewarded!:ph34r:

I know what you're saying of course people can work their way up and there will be many around.

My point was, though I didn't go into minutia that chap had done all sorts. Worked at all sorts of place and clubs.

I wish I could remember his name or the documentary.

Mind, managing and coaching are two very different skills sets aren't they.

Not to say one isn't useful to the other. But being able to handle the characters of a group of men, deal with the media etc is a different skill set again from being on the training ground.

I'd imagine.  

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Equally, be called Harry Redknapp and be rewarded!:ph34r:

I know what you're saying of course people can work their way up and there will be many around.

My point was, though I didn't go into minutia that chap had done all sorts. Worked at all sorts of place and clubs.

I wish I could remember his name or the documentary.

Mind, managing and coaching are two very different skills sets aren't they.

Not to say one isn't useful to the other. But being able to handle the characters of a group of men, deal with the media etc is a different skill set again from being on the training ground.

I'd imagine.  

You can argue Harry worked his way up albeit a different path. 

Academy, pro player, manager. There are different routes. Okay I accept that former players are clearly preferred but they have seen it all theor lives i.e. how its done behins the scenes. Joe Bloggs obviously not. 

The guy in that documentary probably just needed to start lower and aim high. In such a high stakes environment nobody will take a "risk" or "chance" on Billy noname.