SWFC Loan Watch Returns! (part one)

A timely update ...

Neil Aspin is watching this, apparently, and has challenged the players to impress him

Port Vale res were 2-0 up after 20mins - Jack claimed an assist for the first and had a hand in the second

That's his place secured for Sat'dy then   :ph34r:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scram said:

By Jove he's got it!

Excellent points - but disagree with you about matching the club to the players supposed strengths and playing style - that is a small part fo why a player should be on loan

And lets face it that generally a club has to take what loans it get for its players - beggars can't be choosers

And then again you can send your talented left back to act as a back up to best left back in the league.

Sending player on loan not to play is beyond stupid.

39 minutes ago, A12owl said:

I thought this was a thread about a watch being loaned to those lucky/unlucky enough to have bought/not bought the Anniversary watch until it it was/wasnt delivered in December/January/February.

Bother . Will have to make do with my Rolex.lol

No

You're wrong

It isn't       :columbo:

3 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Sorry eth  didn't mean to be disrespectful  . Now I've read the whole thread I can see what an excellent feature it is. Keep up the good work. I will look elsewhere for my "loan watch"

Have you thought of applying for a job at swfc. Your communication skills are far better than anybody currently employed in that department  . 

Oh hang on.....sorry you are over qualified. Stay with OT  it's unpaid but very rewarding .:milan: He didn't pay much either.

's okay

You're only one of half a dozen or so who've made the connection with those darned watches

Personally, I don't know what the fuss is about

They're really expensive and you can easily check what time it is on your phone, laptop, mantelpiece, cooker, kitchen wall, tv, in fact EVERYWHERE

... can't avoid knowing the time, most of the time

Time

hmm ...

Troublesome concept

But then, without that knowledge, we'd most likely miss kick off   :picnic:

Thorniley and Clare's loan deals are going really well, plenty of game time and their impressing. Be great if Stobbs starts Saturday after a good performance for the reserves, I'd be shocked if he doesn't feature now actually, the others have all had a chance and not done much. Be good if we could get some more out in January, Penney for one, but make sure he's going to a club he's got a chance of playing at.

18 hours ago, malek said:

And then again you can send your talented left back to act as a back up to best left back in the league.

Sending player on loan not to play is beyond stupid.

Our staff must have known that his chances of playing left back there were slim????   Surely even we couldn't have messed that up!!!! Presuming they knew,they must have thought that the change of scenery ie training/teammates would do him good and help him mature as a person. Or they thought he might have a chance playing left midfield.

15 hours ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

Thorniley and Clare's loan deals are going really well, plenty of game time and their impressing. Be great if Stobbs starts Saturday after a good performance for the reserves, I'd be shocked if he doesn't feature now actually, the others have all had a chance and not done much. Be good if we could get some more out in January, Penney for one, but make sure he's going to a club he's got a chance of playing at.

An early summary ...

I had expected Sean Clare to show signs of progress tbf

This is his third 'loan out' after all, and he was unlucky when his spell at Accrington was cut short through injury

Could say he's unlucky again, as Gillingham are clearly struggling (again) but at least he's getting the games and seems to be playing reasonably well

Accrington looks to be a fairly stable environment for young loanees to spent some time

So it's no surprise that Jordan Thorniley's introduction to senior football has gone well so far

The team have generally done well with him in it, so long may that continue

Jack Stobbs is the one that really disappoints me

I had visions of this year long loan being the making of him - like the loan spell with us was the making of Ben Marshall

Port Vale, just relegated, bigger fish in a smaller pond kinda thing - I thought they'd start strongly and could see Jack catching the eye as part of a successful side

Wow! See? This is why I don't waste money on gambling  :wacko:

Still only October though, there's plenty of time for fortunes to change - both his and theirs

Sam Winnall?

I'd be happy for him to score every week - as long as Derby don't win every week

Plenty of game time for a side below us in the table - that's not too much to ask, is it?

20 minutes ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I doubt Winnall will be coming back here, I expect there will be something in place already for at the end of the loan, it'll be a straight swap between Winnall and Butterfield. 

No it was quoted that we have the option to buy butters but they don't on winnie 

20 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

's okay

You're only one of half a dozen or so who've made the connection with those darned watches

Personally, I don't know what the fuss is about

They're really expensive and you can easily check what time it is on your phone, laptop, mantelpiece, cooker, kitchen wall, tv, in fact EVERYWHERE

... can't avoid knowing the time, most of the time

Time

hmm ...

Troublesome concept

But then, without that knowledge, we'd most likely miss kick off   :picnic:

Time is not a concept Ethel.

Although I agree that it's difficult to understand.

Einstein lazily used continuum to describe the state of the universe.

Who... out of our loanees would you like to see back at the club?

4 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Time is not a concept Ethel.

Although I agree that it's difficult to understand.

Einstein lazily used continuum to describe the state of the universe.

Who... out of our loanees would you like to see back at the club?

Ah, but what about hours and minutes, or days and months - wouldn't you call those conceptual?

Zappa lazily suggested the world was a happier place before the calendar was invented - because no-one really knew how old they were  :biggrin:

As for our current batch of loanees ...

I'd prefer each of them to succeed where they are, come back as better players and ready to embrace the next stage of their development

... or in Winnall's case, be worth a lot more than he was when he left !

1 minute ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Ah, but what about hours and minutes, or days and months - wouldn't you call those conceptual?

Zappa lazily suggested the world was a happier place before the calendar was invented - because no-one really knew how old they were  :biggrin:

As for our current batch of loanees ...

I'd prefer each of them to succeed where they are, come back as better players and ready to embrace the next stage of their development

... or in Winnall's case, be worth a lot more than he was when he left !

Time can only exist in expanding space.

I've only seen video of Penney (?)

But he certainly looks the part.

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Time can only exist in expanding space.

I've only seen video of Penney (?)

But he certainly looks the part.

I'm not alone in thinking Penney was denied an opportunity at Bradford that could've been of benefit had he gone someplace else

Maybe he'll get another chance in January

... along with O'Grady, Murphy and (dare I say it) Hirst - that's assuming club and agent can reach a realistic agreement as to the level of development he's currently at

I'd also like to see Dawson out and getting regular games - assuming Westwood's injuries have cleared up by then

5 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

I'm not alone in thinking Penney was denied an opportunity at Bradford that could've been of benefit had he gone someplace else

Maybe he'll get another chance in January

... along with O'Grady, Murphy and (dare I say it) Hirst - that's assuming club and agent can reach a realistic agreement as to the level of development he's currently at

I'd also like to see Dawson out and getting regular games - assuming Westwood's injuries have cleared up by then

Thanks for your thoughts.

• Thanks 1

Great stuff as always Ethel, keep the updates coming.

As regards Penney, out of all our promising younger players, he imho is head and shoulders above anyone else. Every time I have seen him play (about half a dozen), he looks a real class act. He has great awareness, vision, can deliver a great ball and has a great engine. I would promote him to left back in our first team, as I don't think he would look out of place. He is one who I think will 'make' it and make it big. I just hope it is for us.

As to the others, Clare is another I have seen who I think has a bit about him, and good to see him getting game time.

My slight concern is that it seems our talented youngsters are never going to get an opportunity in and around the first team, and in this regard, having developed them, we may well lose out in the future to teams who take them from us and play them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

My slight concern is that it seems our talented youngsters are never going to get an opportunity in and around the first team, and in this regard, having developed them, we may well lose out in the future to teams who take them from us and play them.

Perhaps patience is no bad thing

Tottenham get credit for bringing young players on, but they use the loan system to their advantage too

Harry Kane (who I thought was a bit of a donkey in his youth :ph34r:) had loan spells with four different clubs before breaking into their 1st team

He racked up most of his U19 caps whilst playing for Orient & Millwall - wonder if he was their highest earner at the time (eh, Doyen Sports?)

Similarly, (Donny lad) Danny Rose was a £1m teenage investment, but he had three loan spells in the Championship and spent a season at Sunderland before making his mark at Tottenham as a 23yr old

Our academy/development squad seem to be producing some promising players at long last

I'd like to see them develop further with us, receive guidance (as well as the 'going rate') and show a little loyalty in return

Unfortunately, it seems like players and their representatives view wealth as the first priority - so I expect we'll lose a few*

* although Joe Wildsmith recently signed a 5yr deal, so the terms we offer can't be all that bad