Diamond at Burton

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

It'd interesting you have Boyd off the front two. Did think we might see that myself in the odd game when I saw we were signing him.

A role he played regularly for Peterborough.

Yet he has seemingly been deemed as a wide man only by our managment.

I just look at our options at the minute, and we're actually really short in central areas, yet the players available lend themselves to play that diamond formation.

Ideally, based on reputation and not on form or what we've seen from him so far at the club, Abdi would play at the tip. But his form doesn't warrant it, nor is he going to play him on Saturday after completing 90 minutes last night. 

Other options would be dropping 1.) Hooper in there, and playing Rhodes alongside Fletcher, but I don't like the idea of breaking the Hooper/Fletcher partnership up. 2.) Playing Forestieri there, but again, I don't think he deserves a start on current form or his recent issues. 3.) Which could be the most effective actually, is to play Reach there, and play Fox at left back. He's played it a couple of times before (Cardiff away off the top of my head), and he'd offer more defensively than Hooper or FF.  

We're really desperate for another central midfielder though...or for Abdi to get fit and find form. 

11 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

I just look at our options at the minute, and we're actually really short in central areas, yet the players available lend themselves to play that diamond formation.

Ideally, based on reputation and not on form or what we've seen from him so far at the club, Abdi would play at the tip. But his form doesn't warrant it, nor is he going to play him on Saturday after completing 90 minutes last night. 

Other options would be dropping 1.) Hooper in there, and playing Rhodes alongside Fletcher, but I don't like the idea of breaking the Hooper/Fletcher partnership up. 2.) Playing Forestieri there, but again, I don't think he deserves a start on current form or his recent issues. 3.) Which could be the most effective actually, is to play Reach there, and play Fox at left back. He's played it a couple of times before (Cardiff away off the top of my head), and he'd offer more defensively than Hooper or FF.  

We're really desperate for another central midfielder though...or for Abdi to get fit and find form. 

The loss of Lee has been huge. I don't think his absence can be overplayed imo.  Definitely need some extra competition and cover in there.  

I'd be reluctant to play Rhodes in a diamond (In the fantasy world with me as managers!)  as I still think all his best work comes from wide areas. And with us mostly relying on wingbacks in this system I think a lot of the play will be too centralised if you know what I mean.  Also I like my forwards to work the flanks in this system. To give us width and that takes him out of his best work area. 

Funnily enough this is the only system I would play Fernando up front up top but pulling defenders out wide to make those gaps for the attacking player at the tip of the diamond.

I do agree that the midfield must be won in this game. I thoughts that Burton would bo 3-5-2. But I've heard that they played 4-4-2 themselves against Cardiff last night. Though that might just have been a one off to combat Cardiff in the wide areas....who themselves almost ironically played 3-5-2!! 

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

The loss of Lee has been huge. I don't think his absence can be overplayed imo.  Definitely need some extra competition and cover in there.  

I'd be reluctant to play Rhodes in a diamond (In the fantasy world with me as managers!)  as I still think all his best work comes from wide areas. And with us mostly relying on wingbacks in this system I think a lot of the play will be too centralised if you know what I mean.  Also I like my forwards to work the flanks in this system. To give us width and that takes him out of his best work area. 

Funnily enough this is the only system I would play Fernando up front up top but pulling defenders out wide to make those gaps for the attacking player at the tip of the diamond.

I do agree that the midfield must be won in this game. I thoughts that Burton would bo 3-5-2. But I've heard that they played 4-4-2 themselves against Cardiff last night. Though that might just have been a one off to combat Cardiff in the wide areas....who themselves almost ironically played 3-5-2!! 

I take your point about the striking options. Fletcher does drift out wide, which helps build up play, but actually hinders us, because you want Fletcher in the box, as a target for balls into the box. I'm not sure Rhodes would offer the same in wide areas, and then it boils down to the same repeated question: Can we afford to carry a luxury like Rhodes, who offers little to the build up play?

I totally agree re. Forestieri, I think a combination of him, Fletcher and Hooper, with FF and Hooper fluidly switching roles, on paper, looks a mouth watering prospect. But, I don't think he deserves a start at present. His form has been underwhelming (for a long period of time now), and it would be wrong for Carlos to stick him back into the side, after the recent off field issue, without showing some form first. That decision would be one based on principles and morale, rather than tactical.

For me, out of all the other striker available, Joao is someone who would thrive in this system. Equally adept at leading the line as he is attacking from wide areas, he'd compliment Fletcher nicely, but allow Fletcher to focus on been in the box, rather than drifting out wide linking up play too much. But of course, we know Carlos isn't going to play Joao, so it's a bit of a mute point. As is Matias...another player who could play at the tip of the diamond and offer us a real direct threat. But again...it isn't going to happen. 

Re: Burton, I'm pretty sure they've played a 3-5-2 in most league games this season. They certainly did in their last home game against Birmingham. More of a 3-5-1-1, with the wide players been wingers, Dyer & Atkins. Lund played off Sordell, Irvine gave them the legs in the middle, and Palmer & Luke Murphy sat a bit deeper behind him. They might bring Mason in Saturday for Lund, and opt for a more traditional 3-5-2, but Clough does like to vary things tactically. He might opt to go for a 4-1-4-1, that worked very well against us at Hillsborough last year, and sit McFadzean on Hooper to nullify his threat when dropping deep.

Edited by frastheowl

It will rightly be a flat 442 against Burton

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Pudil

Fox

Reach

Bannan

Jones

Boyd

Hooper

Fletcher

My subs would be Dawson, Frederico, Wallace, Matias, Nuhiu, Rhodes, Joao

4 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Get Matias in the hole 

Guest Arnold

Westwood

Hunt .            Lees            Pudil          Reach

Boyd               Jones .          Bannan

Hooper

Fletcher     Rhodes

I would bet money that we'll see pretty much the same line up and approach as at Fulham.

That said, part of me would like come out three at the back given the state of things, and mstch Burton like for like:

Pudil, Lee's, Hunt at the back.

Reach and Palmer playing as wingbacks.

Three in the middle with Jones deep, Bannan advanced centre left and Boyd advanced centre right.

Fletcher and Hooper up top, work Rhodes in when we can as a sub.

We're more skilled individually, match them in the middle with 3-5-2 and let the chips fall where they may - I think we come out on top.

Edited by Indoor Owl

22 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Burton tend to play 3-5-2, so going with a diamond (or a box as it is at times) could be the way forward.

Our two wing backs will cancel out their equivalent and we'll have a 4 vs 3 in midfield. 

The problems we'd have experienced at Fulham playing the diamond (i.e. wide forwards and attacking, overlapping full backs) won't exist at Burton. But, it's imperative you win the midfield battle against sides like Burton, and by flooding the midfield is the best way to do that. Also, it suits our midfielders natural game more than the stuffy 4-4-2. 

I'd go with...

--------------------Westwood------------------------

--------------Lees-------------Loovens*-------------

Hunt-----------------Jones-------------------Reach

--------------Wallace--------Bannan----------------

-----------------------Boyd--------------------------

---------------Fletcher------Hooper----------------

I'd probably change some players but rest of the post is spot on.

9 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

I would bet money that we'll see pretty much the same line up and approach as at Fulham.

That said, part of me would like come out three at the back given the state of things, and mstch Burton like for like:

Pudil, Lee's, Hunt at the back.

Reach and Palmer playing as wingbacks.

Three in the middle with Jones deep, Bannan advanced centre left and Boyd advanced centre right.

Fletcher and Hooper up top, work Rhodes in when we can as a sub.

We're more skilled individually, match them in the middle with 3-5-2 and let the chips fall where they may - I think we come out on top.

Although I'm not against 3 at the back playing Hunt there is too cunning even for Baldrick!! 

20 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Fletcher and Hooper front two. 

Anyone thinking otherwise knows nowt.

Rhodes and Fletcher up front with Hooper at tip of diamond. 

Anyone who scores 2 in a poor team display deserves to be allowed to kick on and fulfill his potential. Anything else would be perverse and unfair on Rhodes.