FF to Brighton

1 hour ago, vulture_squadron said:

I like Forestieri and want him to stay BUT where does he fit in? While we keep changing the system I have no idea. I'm never convinced when he's up front in a 2 but playing behind the strikers in a classic Argentinian 4-3-1-2 might suit him.

Think left in a front 3 would suit him best but doesn't suit the rest of our squad.

He's a bit of a defensive liability left of a 442. Reach and Bannan give us more balance there, probably Boyd as well.

Our defensive record with FF wide left is excellent 

1 hour ago, vulture_squadron said:

I like Forestieri and want him to stay BUT where does he fit in? While we keep changing the system I have no idea. I'm never convinced when he's up front in a 2 but playing behind the strikers in a classic Argentinian 4-3-1-2 might suit him.

Think left in a front 3 would suit him best but doesn't suit the rest of our squad.

He's a bit of a defensive liability left of a 442. Reach and Bannan give us more balance there, probably Boyd as well.

Behind Hooper Fletcher/Winnall/Rhodes

Shackles off.

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Our defensive record with FF wide left is excellent 

This. What i dont get is when carlos said "FF didn't want to play on the left because he didn't have the energy to track back and get up the pitch to cause damage up top. In FF's first season he played on left and was absolutely dynamic. He was like (dogshit) everywhere!! He would track back, win the ball, then turn and start an attack. I hadn't seen a player get all the park like that for sometime. So what has changed in 2 seasons? Has his fitness levels dropped? Have his recent injuries slowed him down? Who knows. Obviously he had his little dummy spitting incident at begining of last season. But i believe his agent had a big say in that. He knew clubs would have seen how he performed the previous season. He will have been in forestieri's ear saying "i can get you £1000 £5000 £10000 more a week". What he meant was " i will get a bigger cut". I hate agents with a passion. What i would love to see is FF say to carlos " I will play anywhere you want Boss, and give it 100%. Not that he often doesn't. Because he is dynamic in that position. He gives fullbacks nightmares, either cutting inside and having a pop or going on outside. Weve yet to see the FF of 2015/16 season. But hope he sorts his head out, and knuckles down to being the player we know he can be. Plus great defensive record when he played there. Sorry for long rant...

3 minutes ago, AtkinsonsBarmyArmy said:

This. What i dont get is when carlos said "FF didn't want to play on the left because he didn't have the energy to track back and get up the pitch to cause damage up top. In FF's first season he played on left and was absolutely dynamic. He was like (dogshit) everywhere!! He would track back, win the ball, then turn and start an attack. I hadn't seen a player get all the park like that for sometime. So what has changed in 2 seasons? Has his fitness levels dropped? Have his recent injuries slowed him down? Who knows. Obviously he had his little dummy spitting incident at begining of last season. But i believe his agent had a big say in that. He knew clubs would have seen how he performed the previous season. He will have been in forestieri's ear saying "i can get you £1000 £5000 £10000 more a week". What he meant was " i will get a bigger cut". I hate agents with a passion. What i would love to see is FF say to carlos " I will play anywhere you want Boss, and give it 100%. Not that he often doesn't. Because he is dynamic in that position. He gives fullbacks nightmares, either cutting inside and having a pop or going on outside. Weve yet to see the FF of 2015/16 season. But hope he sorts his head out, and knuckles down to being the player we know he can be. Plus great defensive record when he played there. Sorry for long rant...

This!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AtkinsonsBarmyArmy said:

You have a selective memory. He played the vast majority of his first season upfront, and his workrate from that position was unbelievable. Directly contributed to goals and chances.

5 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

You have a selective memory. He played the vast majority of his first season upfront, and his workrate from that position was unbelievable. Directly contributed to goals and chances.

My apologise if wrong. Drunk a lot of brandy since 2015/16 season. You are correct my man. Midfield of wallace hutch lee & bannan most of time. But he did play in that position a number of times as i recall, due to hutch injuries and suspensions, also remember having bannan & lee in middle at times with FF on left and he was dynamic. Just dont get the "no energy" comment! He's as fit as a fiddle. Appreciate the correction. Dont mind admitting when wrong pal.

20 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Just checked player stats from 2015/16. Forestieri started 38 out of 46 league games. Joao started 15 + 27 coming on as sub. Hooper started 25 + ?? as sub. So FF must have played more than i thought on left, because i dont recall any games when all 3 were upfront. Whenever joao came on i recall FF moved out wide. Plus hooper & joao started at least a few together. Add the times that hutch was injured or suspended and it may be more than i thought. Anyway! Wrong or right, i would prefer him on left or free role to cause maximum damage. Plus we have enough strikers, and i dont see 3 strikers out of hooper, fletcher, winnall & rhodes happy to sit on bench if we play FF up top..

26 minutes ago, AtkinsonsBarmyArmy said:

My apologise if wrong. Drunk a lot of brandy since 2015/16 season. You are correct my man. Midfield of wallace hutch lee & bannan most of time. But he did play in that position a number of times as i recall, due to hutch injuries and suspensions, also remember having bannan & lee in middle at times with FF on left and he was dynamic. Just dont get the "no energy" comment! He's as fit as a fiddle. Appreciate the correction. Dont mind admitting when wrong pal.

Dont worry you weren't wrong.

Our record with FF left in 15/16, and in 16/17, is staggeringly good. Championship-winning form, by far.

Our form in both those two seasons with FF as a striker was 7th-10th place.

Your memory, despite the brandy, serves you well.

• Thanks 1

That bloke to the right of FF is a 'revenue protection officer'. I do St P to Sheffield quite a lot, and he 'patrols' up and down the train. He takes his job quite seriously, and is a cross between Gareth from the Office, and Hermann Goring. Any student without the correct paperwork gets thrown off the train, whilst at full speed. 

• Haha 1

He does change position a lot to be fair. Our formation has always been flexible, certainly when chasing the game second half.

I think he's at his best coming from a deeper position or a wide position, when he links with Bannan and takes defenders on.

When he's up front with Hooper he looks anonymous. Both at Wembley and against Huddersfield at home he was ineffective til he went wide. 

I can see why a lot of people like him coming off the bench to change the game. I can see why he doesn't like that.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Dont worry you weren't wrong.

Our record with FF left in 15/16, and in 16/17, is staggeringly good. Championship-winning form, by far.

Our form in both those two seasons with FF as a striker was 7th-10th place.

Your memory, despite the brandy, serves you well.

Cheers Holmowl. Just checked player stats for that season and feel a bit vindicated. Not a young man anymore and memory not what it was.lol

31 minutes ago, AtkinsonsBarmyArmy said:

Cheers Holmowl. Just checked player stats for that season and feel a bit vindicated. Not a young man anymore and memory not what it was.lol

Holmowl likes to exaggerate pal.

FF has played on the left in around 30 different games. For every game it worked, there's another where it didn't.

Ultimately, he's a great attacker who can successfully operate in a number of positions.

4 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Holmowl likes to exaggerate pal.

FF has played on the left in around 30 different games. For every game it worked, there's another where it didn't.

Ultimately, he's a great attacker who can successfully operate in a number of positions.

Don't know holmowl personally, so wont comment. I agree that FF can play many different attacking roles effectively. But with the way weve put balls to our forwards at times its not suited him as a striker. Wev'e been so slow at our build up play that he's either marked well by the time the ball gets up to him, or lee & loovens have knocked pointless long balls down channels or up top (not all the time). Fletcher and rhodes are the ones who will win the flick ons. FF or hoops aren't going to win anything against 6' 4" centre halfs. We need to up the tempo if we are to get the best out of FF. At times we did on wednesday in second half, Slow slow quick quick slow is giving other teams so much time to organise behind the ball. He needs it into feet and quick. He's a high energy player and buzzes around the pitch wanting the ball. His first season suited him. I just dont see him as an out & out striker. But i get what your saying. Where a better team with him in it, than out imo. Its just a choice of where to put him. Plus im sure other teams defenders dont like seeing him on team sheet. Just not keen on him telling the manager where he does and doesn't want to play (striker, out wide). He should just knuckle down in training and show the boss he deserves a place up front. But as they say, all good players usually come with baggage (Temprement).