The Graph Thread 2017/18 - This season compared to previous two seasons

Brilliant! Thank you @RyanSWFC

One observation I'd make re the last 5 year average for autos, I expect it will be 90+ points. Again. 2 pts per game or 3W,1D per 5 each game lot.

Be interesting to see how this plays out and I guess if you have time could plot graph showing whoever top 2 are and what their projected final tally will be (changing through the season). Pretty sure you did this a couple of times last season. 

Thanks again. 

Guest Deleted member
1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

@RyanSWFC great stuff again. Really enjoyed this last season. I guess you probably enjoy doing it, and it has become a great addition to our season on OT.

Was just going to say exactly the same. Its actually quite fascinating watching the season progress.

Ryan - any chance of charting progress since we got in the Championship? I guess thats quite a big ask time wise

4 hours ago, Grandad said:

Was just going to say exactly the same. Its actually quite fascinating watching the season progress.

Ryan - any chance of charting progress since we got in the Championship? I guess thats quite a big ask time wise

How's this?

Untitled.png

Guest Deleted member
59 minutes ago, RyanSWFC said:

How's this?

Untitled.png

Thats brilliant - wow.

It really underlines how CC struggles for the first 10 games - even lagging behind Stuart Grays impressive start. If we could start like Gray did - then carry on with CC's form after that - I'm convinced automatic would be ours.

So last season we were just three points short of the average points needed for promotion.

And 'fans' still think Carlos will be out by October, and come up with 'can't be worse than the Sh11ite we had to watch last season'.

The mind boggles.   Wonder how many would have slit their wrists during the 1974-5, 75-6, 76-7. 77-8 seasons.

We used to get excited about signing Hartlepool and Darlington players.

3 hours ago, Lincs Owl said:

So last season we were just three points short of the average points needed for promotion.

What good did that do us? Did the Football League give us the 'Almost Near the Automatic Average on Ryan's Graph' trophy?

I appreciate your hard work, Ryan, but it's served as another tool to give fans false hope and make them believe we haven't been that far off. We'll see how far off we were from this Saturday onwards - I fear one paltry signing won't have closed the gap.

On 8/1/2017 at 16:06, HarrowbyOwl said:

It took us half the season to get to 40 points last season, and 26 games the season before. 3 of the 4 promoted teams were 10 points above that at the half way stage. 

I'd say a good start is essential if you're to give yourself a fighting chance. Burnley the exception to the rule.

Yep.....a crap start and you'll need a 23-game unbeaten run (16 wins 7 draws) from Boxing Day until the end of the season.

21 hours ago, I Love Sturrock said:

What good did that do us? Did the Football League give us the 'Almost Near the Automatic Average on Ryan's Graph' trophy?

I appreciate your hard work, Ryan, but it's served as another tool to give fans false hope and make them believe we haven't been that far off. We'll see how far off we were from this Saturday onwards - I fear one paltry signing won't have closed the gap.

Just look at that upward curve at the end of last season, papered over a lot of cracks.

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 16:20, RyanSWFC said:

And considering our aim for this season is probably automatic promotion, here's a graph showing the progress of the four teams who achieved automatic promotion in the last 2 years.

Particularly notable how Burnley had a pretty average first half of the season then took off after Christmas to win the title. So even if we don't start great (again), it shows that it can still be done!

And Newcastle lost their first 2 games last season but still went on to win the title.

Untitled2.png

Worth reemphasising this considering our opening day defeat.

None of the four sides who achieved automatic promotion in 2015/16 and 2016/17 won their opening match so it isn't the end of the world.

1 hour ago, RyanSWFC said:

Worth reemphasising this considering our opening day defeat.

None of the four sides who achieved automatic promotion in 2015/16 and 2016/17 won their opening match so it isn't the end of the world.

One game in and you'd be forgiven for thinking the world had ended already

I always think back to the one season I'd probably been anticipating more than any other  ... 1991/92

We started off with a home defeat, after leading 2-0, courtesy of the Atkinsons - Ron & Dalian

The pigs did the double over us

L**ds beat us 6-1 at home

Arsenal beat us 7-1 away

... and yet we still achieved our highest league finish in all my years as a Wednesdayite - 3rd - qualified for Europe too

It's all about perspective

My attempt at positivity - not the three points we were hoping for but at least we've got something on the board. And a win on Wednesday would put us on exactly the same points total as the last two seasons. Plus there's a long way to go :biggrin:

Untitled.png