The Graph Thread 2017/18 - This season compared to previous two seasons

A nice new blue line will be added over the course of the season so we can compare how we're doing this season to the previous two under Carlos, which will hopefully show that further progress has been made compared to last season. What strikes me straight away is that in both of the last two seasons we had spells of poor form at the start of the season and then again around matches 32-38, and these spells probably cost us a shot at automatic promotion.

I've brought the relegation line back because I don't want to tempt fate. :manager: 

For those interested, the straight lines represent the mean average points per game that were needed to achieve automatic promotion/reach playoffs/stay up over the last 5 seasons. For example last season Leeds finished 7th (:biggrin:) on 75 points, therefore it would be possible to get into the playoffs with 75 points, so this points total along with the corresponding points totals for the preceding 4 seasons would be used to calculate the 5-season average points total needed to finish in the top 6.

Untitled.png

Edited by RyanSWFC
  • Like 3

And considering our aim for this season is probably automatic promotion, here's a graph showing the progress of the four teams who achieved automatic promotion in the last 2 years.

Particularly notable how Burnley had a pretty average first half of the season then took off after Christmas to win the title. So even if we don't start great (again), it shows that it can still be done!

And Newcastle lost their first 2 games last season but still went on to win the title.

Untitled2.png

Edited by RyanSWFC

40 minutes ago, RyanSWFC said:

And considering our aim for this season is probably automatic promotion, here's a graph showing the progress of the four teams who achieved automatic promotion in the last 2 years.

Particularly notable how Burnley had a pretty average first half of the season then took off after Christmas to win the title. So even if we don't start great (again), it shows that it can still be done!

And Newcastle lost their first 2 games last season but still went on to win the title.

Untitled2.png

It took us half the season to get to 40 points last season, and 26 games the season before. 3 of the 4 promoted teams were 10 points above that at the half way stage. 

I'd say a good start is essential if you're to give yourself a fighting chance. Burnley the exception to the rule.

Nice one, RyanSWFC

Last season's thread was quite therapeutic at times - providing a welcome refuge from all the madness   :wacko:

It'd be nice if others didn't need to be 'referred' this time round

Not sure about the 'avoiding the drop' line though

Unless you think Dem Galacticos are sure to offer some light relief

Shows how important a good start is. Going on the graph we was so close last season with that late push from around 37/38 games.

This season could see us get off to a solid start with having pretty much all the team together from last season.

or we could still be adding to the squad late on in the transfer market disrupting the team and using excuses like. Not gelled yet and lack of pre season. Still learning the system.

Being the optimistic I'm going for a solid start.

I hope we land this former arsenal lad and get him settled in with out fuss. He will be a great addition. With pace and height 

WAWAW

1 hour ago, RyanSWFC said:

A nice new blue line will be added over the course of the season so we can compare how we're doing this season to the previous two under Carlos, which will hopefully show that further progress has been made compared to last season. What strikes me straight away is that in both of the last two seasons we had spells of poor form at the start of the season and then again around matches 32-38, and these spells probably cost us a shot at automatic promotion.

I've brought the relegation line back because I don't want to tempt fate. :manager: 

For those interested, the straight lines represent the mean average points per game that were needed to achieve automatic promotion/reach playoffs/stay up over the last 5 seasons. For example last season Leeds finished 7th (:biggrin:) on 75 points, therefore it would be possible to get into the playoffs with 75 points, so this points total along with the corresponding points totals for the preceding 4 seasons would be used to calculate the 5-season average points total needed to finish in the top 6.

Untitled.png

great stuff, will be watching closely

12 minutes ago, fpowl said:

Shows how important a good start is. Going on the graph we was so close last season with that late push from around 37/38 games.

This season could see us get off to a solid start with having pretty much all the team together from last season.

or we could still be adding to the squad late on in the transfer market disrupting the team and using excuses like. Not gelled yet and lack of pre season. Still learning the system.

Being the optimistic I'm going for a solid start.

I hope we land this former arsenal lad and get him settled in with out fuss. He will be a great addition. With pace and height 

WAWAW

whos the former arsenal lad?

Great stuff Graph bloke...

just imagine winning a few a few games in August and September then maintaining the form we displayed from October onwards over the last couple of seasons.

52 minutes ago, debram said:

cheers, hes the one that we dont want according to most post?

He would walk into most teams in this division. And would certainly improve our starting 11 never mind squad.

goes to ground easy and has a mistake In him but would be a very good signing for this league

5 hours ago, RyanSWFC said:

Untitled.png

Cheers Grapho

Edited by Sonny

Ditto, brilliant work Ryan. 

Think this season should be easier as both Newcastle and Brighton were virtually certs from the off.

Hopefully, Boro will do a Norwich and Sunderland are imploding while Hull have been robbed of some good players.

Leaves us with stability needing just those 2 or 3 real  quality signings for top 2. 

Let's hope Hanley's price is coming down every day.