Considerations if moving away from Hillsborough

1 minute ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I don't get this either? It's @ 3hrs of a day, why do we need endless food outlets? No wonder the country has high obesity levels.

I agree with you on parking, but a bowl elsewhere will have parking restrictions anyway and the parking that would be available will cost an arm and a leg

Wasn't really thinking food outlets Ron ...more like associated with the club venues ..sports connected   for concerts etc 

Money makers in general that 100% benefit the club there is countless scope without the junk food mob we have to step up to the plate if the club is to move forward tradition is great but we had a few grounds before Hillsborough came along we can't rely on one man's money to take us right to the top unless he has "Sheik " before his name or "Ivan"

2 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Implement the plans for West Stand etc for last World Cup bid, and we will be fine.

Wouldn't we then have a huge away end, holding maybe 12,000 and the police only allowing 3,000 away fans in it?

The plans did look good but SAG and SYP would still want it nearly empty.

3 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Implement the plans for West Stand etc for last World Cup bid, and we will be fine.

I've said this a few times, much easier to do this end up than kop.

There's more room behind West stand for development, behind kop its restricted being so close to a main road. 

7 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

Even UNESCO sites have renovated parts and materials less than 100 years old. In a country where Public Toilets and Cinemas have been granted listed status, the lack of protection for football grounds is absurd.

Parts yes. Parts of the Pyramids have been patched up. But they represent a tiny percentage.

But for our ground it's more than parts. The majority is less than 60 years old. The North stand is still stunning, but the kop has looked bobbar since the roof. The West stand needs knocking down and the South is nothing special.

So you get listed status. Then what? Grounds need to change. They need to adapt. Grow. Contract.  

Imagine the outrage on here if we had to jump through extra hoops because of a listed status, had to spend more than would be necessary, or worse had our plans denied. The complaints be immeasurable.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Guest Manwithastick

21st century football is a business - 24/7. Only not at Hillsborough. Our non match day income is pathetic. We cannot thrive in

the modern era whilst ever we are at S6. The behind the scenes facilities - meeting rooms, offices, kitchens, toilets etc. simply aren't

up to standard and the space to bring them up to the standards that 21st century customers demand/expect isn't there. 

Location wise, businesses aren't interested - too far from the M1, too far from the train, not enough parking on site etc. 

Then to match day - commuting in by car is awful - North Anston to the ground even with guaranteed Wednesdayite parking means 

2 hours before kick off. Then up to 2 hours home. There's very little around the stadium - want chips? Queue for a half hour. Inside the ground 

the facilities don't stack up. For press/journo's the space and infrastructure are 20 years out of date now (very little has changed since Euro 96

which is part of the reason Radio Sheff/Wednesday Player are so crap). I know the corporate boxes we have aren't filled because of price but 

even if there were punters every week, the facilities and experience is crap.

In the stands it's no better - the concourses in the North are 60 years old and it shows - THIS is the reason SAG limits North stand capacity for big 

games. The roof leaks. The front 20 rows can't see in sunshine and get wet in heavy rain. In the South you're buggered if you're over 5 and a half 

feet tall. The concession offerings are severely hampered by their size.

To the kop - the pillars, the facilities (do the uncovered bogs with no sinks still exist?), the queuing onto a main road (there are accidents EVERY season). 

As for the West - I don't think I need to spell it out. 

The problem is so many are blinded by nostalgia. Hopefully the chairman isn't. I do know he sees all of the above and understands that it's not solvable 

on the existing site and much wouldn't be fixed by doing a Tottenham. We've moved before and we NEED to move again if we ever want to be a top 10 

side with ambitions of playing in europe and whose ground can host European club finals and International tournaments (there's zero chance of S6 holding 

these types of games, even with 'the world cup plans' btw)

On 26/07/2017 at 15:45, ka58 said:

We don't need to move ground - at all.

It's totally unnecessary.

I can't think of any valid reason for it.

What 

like increased revenue streams 

higher attendences 

less policing costs 

less ground running costs 

more attractive for for future investors and players 

get rid rid of the Hillsborough disaster stigma 

there's plenty more reasons,

we all love Hillsborough but most people are scared of change 

just my opinion, but I'd be well up for a move, I think it's scary that McCabe is looking at buying the land near Meadowhall. 

What at do you think would happen if the pigs ever made it back to the Premier 

the thing I would like most is for the club to explain what it plans to do and end the doubt. 

If we are ever again going to sustain a top half of the premiership presence we need to act and compete on a level playing field.  A new ground whether that is on the same plot of land or elsewhere is a prerequisite. 

We fall further behind our peers every year. Time to get the decision made and the job done. 

17 minutes ago, Bluey9 said:

What 

higher attendences 

less policing costs 

just my opinion, but I'd be well up for a move, I think it's scary that McCabe is looking at buying the land near Meadowhall. 

McSue is a property developer, he'll buy land anywhere.

The pigs won't leave Bumhole, they trade on the fact it's the oldest stadium. Conveniently forgetting we were there before em. 

Can easily do increased revenue streams without moving, just needs redeveloping right (see World Cup plans)

Policing costs would still be the same wherever we built unless its outside South Yorkshire Constabulary's jurisdiction

Higher attendance in a new soulless bowl is stretching it, we currently aren't selling Hillsborough out, what makes you think they'd build, for example a 60,000 seater?

A lot of your post is about reducing costs. How much would a new bowl with higher attendance capacity cost to build?

More attractive to players? A successful team and wages is all the majority are looking for. How many times have you heard players rave about playing at Hillsborough.

The disaster is there, but many other clubs have had disasters and it's not mentioned every single time. Develop it right and we accept it and move on.

Edited by Big Ron's Sovereign

1 minute ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

McSue is a property developer, he'll buy land anywhere.

The pigs won't leave Bumhole, they trade on the fact it's the oldest stadium. Conveniently forgetting we were there before em. 

Can easily do increased revenue streams without moving, just needs redeveloping right (see World Cup plans)

Policing costs would still be the same wherever we built unless its outside South Yorkshire Constabulary's jurisdiction

Higher attendance in a new soulless bowl is stretching it, we currently aren't selling Hillsborough out, what makes you think they'd build, for example a 60,000 seater?

A lot of your post is about reducing costs. How much would a new bowl with higher attendance capacity cost to build?

There's a difference between repetitive  annual costs and a long term property purchase. 

Do we need 60k probably not but we definitely need more than Sag will ever let us have in an undeveloped Hillsborough. 

45 minutes ago, Bluey9 said:

What 

higher attendences 

less policing costs 

All these things are what people cite as reasons when they are moving out of a complete bin i.e chesterfield / rotherham etc. Or from the top teams a la Spurs / Arsenal.

They apply far less to a championship side with an established 30-40k stadium which averages 27k attendances.

There's nothing wrong with the ground.

I not going to put something really over the top and say if Wednesday got a new ground I would never set foot in the place but doubt I would go regularly.

To me Hillsborough is Sheffield Wednesday and a big part of our identity. Not saying the ground is perfect and needs improving in places but if we had a vote on it I would definitely vote to stay.

I have been to nearly all the new grounds. Rotherham is not too bad as near the town centre. But what a soulless experience places like Reading, Derby and Middlesbrough are.

For those that say the traffic after games is bad at Hillsborough. I went to Stoke for the night cup game 2 seasons ago and was still stuck in a jam outside 90mins after the game finished. 

14 minutes ago, ka58 said:

All these things are what people cite as reasons when they are moving out of a complete bin i.e chesterfield / rotherham etc. Or from the top teams a la Spurs / Arsenal.

They apply far less to a championship side with an established 30-40k stadium which averages 27k attendances.

If we were a Championship side with no ambition to get promotion, then we should stay as we are. 

Thankfully we are aiming for the promised land so a larger stadium is inevitable.

2 hours ago, ka58 said:

2 hours ago, Bob said:

If we were a Championship side with no ambition to get promotion, then we should stay as we are. 

Thankfully we are aiming for the promised land so a larger stadium is inevitable.

...but a "spruce up" of the ground is the only thing required until we get to the Prem. 

2 hours ago, Bob said:

There are much bigger and more established PL clubs managing with grounds similar to ours.

2 minutes ago, ka58 said:

There are much bigger and more established PL clubs managing with grounds similar to ours.

Yes, but have they the same catchment area and crowd potential ?