Considerations if moving away from Hillsborough

1 minute ago, Bob said:

Yes, but have they the same catchment area and crowd potential ?

When we got promoted under Big Ron average was about 26/27K.  Crowds started topping 30K and that was just after the disaster and a closed Leppings Lane terrace.  Average in Premier division then was 20K.  Somebody took their eye off the ball and didn't push the club forward.  Easily get 50K as a half successful Premier division club if ground could hold it.

Reading these posts (God, I hate doing accounts; am so bored) it's clear and understandable that people who wouldn't want a move because they are attached to Hillsborough also think it wouldn't work, or isn't needed.

I don't think anyone can know whether there is a move option that performs better financially than stay/rebuild options.  But it wouldn't surprise me at all if there was. 

If that was the case, I'd say go for it.  I don't feel so attached to Hillsborough that I'd want us to stay there if it was genuinely suboptimal. 

1 hour ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

And how would the catchment area change if we moved a few miles away? :columbo:

Do you read posts ? 

I was answering the comment re other Premier clubs with small stadiums. If we moved within the Sheffield area our catchment area would be similar to Hillsborough, so,  IMO we would get 40000 + in the Premier.

If we can't stay in S6 this site would be perfect, close to city centre, close access to Parkway, active trainline a short walk away, tramline and stop at the side, could rejuvenate the surrounding area. 

Just make sure the away end is at the west side of the ground lol

site.JPG

6 hours ago, ka58 said:

All these things are what people cite as reasons when they are moving out of a complete bin i.e chesterfield / rotherham etc. Or from the top teams a la Spurs / Arsenal.

They apply far less to a championship side with an established 30-40k stadium which averages 27k attendances.

There's nothing wrong with the ground.

Are you sure about that?

You'd have to do a real cost - benefit analysis, post Premiership promotion.

You look at stadia in US and they are amazing with astonishing revenue streams.

However, if Labour get in standing may be back on terraces - see Bayern- so clubs won't need a mega ground.

And that really would hurt many EPL clubs as their income yield from spectators would take a hit.

51 minutes ago, WadsleyOwl said:

If we can't stay in S6 this site would be perfect, close to city centre, close access to Parkway, active trainline a short walk away, tramline and stop at the side, could rejuvenate the surrounding area. 

Just make sure the away end is at the west side of the ground lol

site.JPG

What's the size of the footprint is it just the land on left or does it swallow the athletics track ?

1 minute ago, raljex said:

Shove your money and alternative revenue streams up your arse. Rather be back in't pub league than leave Hillsborough.

yep its our home and should stay that way, improve what we have and keep the tradition, dont take it away.

STOP PRESS .

In line with Chansiri's desire to maintain the club's roots with its past to and to celebrate our new Retro kit 

The club announce to day that major redevelopment it's to begin with a North Stand upgrade............

THE CUSHIONS ARE COMING BACK!!

On 28/07/2017 at 09:33, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

So a new bowl wouldn't get repetitive annual costs? :columbo:

Of course the new ground would have repetitive costs. But the acquisition of the land and the building of the stadium which would  probably be funded by a long term loan could be considered an investment in an asset not a cost. 

I bet Arsenal are pleased they invested in their future. 

24 minutes ago, raljex said:

Good football played in a library. Rather not bother.

I think the 'library' atmosphere at grounds now is more to do with them being all seater rather than a new design. 

There's a reason why most singers stand when they are performing. 

Also I think it's sad but fair to say that our current  traditional football ground is hardly always a cauldron of noise 

Guest Ash76

I've always insisted we should stay at Hillsborough but the last few months come to accept a move is likely on the horizon and needed.

Location is so important for any move we make, it has to be attractive to the thousands that live in and around S6. And that means it has to be this side of Sheffield, it can not be Westfield, airport site etc.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable using open public space which rules out Hillsborough park. Furthermore, people are suggesting transport links will be an important consideration and Hillsborough isn't great for that.

So that leaves the city centre or sites close to the M1. In the city centre the obvious choice would be the site of the old castle market, that entire area is in need of regeneration and investment.

Away from the city and close to the M1 I'd be exploring sites around Chapletown or Ecclesfield. Anyone know if there are suitable sites around there?

3 minutes ago, raljex said:

Perhaps. Just don't see the point of moving from Hillsborough when we could just replace the away end. Anything regarding being able fill a new ground is hogwash as the unaccountable people closing parts of the stadium now could do the same in a new stadium. Anything regarding increasing revenues, I'm just not interested in. SKY TV money means it is just a few extra pennies anyway.

Personally I would prefer to stop at Hillsborough as well. It's not a convenient place for me to get too but it never has been as I have lived in Derbyshire most of my life. But S6 is full of memories, nostalgia, family and very old friends. It will be a sad day for me if Wednesday ever move. 

Where we do disagree is your opinion that we could just replace the away end. If we stop imo the entire ground would need renovating. 

1 hour ago, raljex said:

I don't see anything wrong with the South Stand, just the people that occupy it. WTF:

Absolutely love the North Stand.

An all-standing Kop would be brilliant.

It was  :duntmatter:

I'm now in the South away from the band. I get a fabulous view of all the pointing knuckle draggers on the North who for some reason think they're much better than fellow fans opposite them even though they're in the cheap seats  

2 hours ago, raljex said:

I don't see anything wrong with the South Stand, just the people that occupy it. WTF:

Absolutely love the North Stand.

An all-standing Kop would be brilliant.

The north stand is my favorite stand at Hillsborough mostly because when my knuckles are touching the floor no one notices lol

But it is years out of date, the south stand was built on the cheap when the world class local business leaders were in charge.

Imo the bottom line is we need a new ground the only question is do we build it on our current site  (that way it could be done a stand at a time) or do we move location. 

I have stated my preference but either way the decision is years overdue.