Who will score the most football league goals, Hirst or Hirst Jnr

12 hours ago, vulva said:

Think the majority of records such as this will not be broken. Players are that wealthy, they will retire early. The appearance and goals records in years gone by were driven by a necessity to keep playing. In reality, a Premier League player needs just a couple of average Premier League contracts to be set up for life. 

If you are half way sensible or sensibly advised you don't need to be a premier league player or 2 contracts to be set for life. Look at Tom lees for example, reported to be on £25k p/w on a 5 year deal. That equates to a gross income over the duration of that one contract of £6.5m (£1.3 m per annum).  Now even if all of that income was taxable at its highest possible rate and no pension contributions were made (which wouldn't happen) his net income per annum would be £585k meaning a total over the contract of £2,925,000. Now I appreciate that this figure won't include other deductions such as ni or payments to agents etc but neither does it include any extra payments for appearances, performance bonus, loyalty payments etc so I suspect the annual net figure will be at least the same as I've quoted. If someone said to me in 5 years time I'd have that figure of just under £3m in my bank there is not a hope in hell I'd still be working.

Totally off topic but just goes to show how obscene the money in football is these days that one good contract for a decent 2nd tier footballer in England sets you up for a very comfortable life.

2 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

If you are half way sensible or sensibly advised you don't need to be a premier league player or 2 contracts to be set for life. Look at Tom lees for example, reported to be on £25k p/w on a 5 year deal. That equates to a gross income over the duration of that one contract of £6.5m (£1.3 m per annum).  Now even if all of that income was taxable at its highest possible rate and no pension contributions were made (which wouldn't happen) his net income per annum would be £585k meaning a total over the contract of £2,925,000. Now I appreciate that this figure won't include other deductions such as ni or payments to agents etc but neither does it include any extra payments for appearances, performance bonus, loyalty payments etc so I suspect the annual net figure will be at least the same as I've quoted. If someone said to me in 5 years time I'd have that figure of just under £3m in my bank there is not a hope in hell I'd still be working.

Totally off topic but just goes to show how obscene the money in football is these days that one good contract for a decent 2nd tier footballer in England sets you up for a very comfortable life.

Fair points, but £3m isn't a lot these days for someone that retires at 35. You can be very comfortable, but once you take into account the £1m house and upkeep, cars, holidays and school fees, it will soon disappear. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Who knows.  But if he gets even half the amount of goals for us that his dad did, he will still become a legend!  ( Well a semi legend at least).

3 hours ago, damianb1 said:

Why obscene? Good luck to them. What's obscene is the bonuses paid out to those in Finance industry who think they're so clever yet get bailed out by the rest of us once they get found out for being not so clever. That's obscene - not a grafting centre back who plays for my club

4 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Why obscene? Good luck to them. What's obscene is the bonuses paid out to those in Finance industry who think they're so clever yet get bailed out by the rest of us once they get found out for being not so clever. That's obscene - not a grafting centre back who plays for my club

I agree those in the finance sector that were part of the cause of the last 10 years austerity is disgusting. Please don't however use the word grafting to describe a footballer who works approx 2 hours a day and then plays football 40-50 times a year and earns in 1 week about the same as a lot of the fans watching him earn in a year. Graft they definitely do not do!!!

Just now, damianb1 said:

I agree those in the finance sector that were part of the cause of the last 10 years austerity is disgusting. Please don't however use the word grafting to describe a footballer who works approx 2 hours a day and then plays football 40-50 times a year and earns in 1 week about the same as a lot of the fans watching him earn in a year. Graft they definitely do not do!!!

Well grafting is perhaps just a over used expression, and not exactly the theme of my point

Grafting is also relative

Hard grafting Owlstalkers vs. City Bankers vs. slave labour in Russian gulags 

17 hours ago, vulva said:

Think the majority of records such as this will not be broken. Players are that wealthy, they will retire early. The appearance and goals records in years gone by were driven by a necessity to keep playing. In reality, a Premier League player needs just a couple of average Premier League contracts to be set up for life. 

Despite what you think, a lot of people still play football because they love the game.   The wages are a bonus, a very good bonus but they will still keep playing the game because quite frankly once they are washed up as a player, a lot know they will have nothing left.

3 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Despite what you think, a lot of people still play football because they love the game.   The wages are a bonus, a very good bonus but they will still keep playing the game because quite frankly once they are washed up as a player, a lot know they will have nothing left.

Right, have you seen the level of punditry on TV these days? The bars pretty low. Worth investing some of those bonus ££££'s into media training and keeping your fingers crossed you pass a screen test and your agent can position your mass appeal correctly 

Otherwise, you risk letting your waistline go becoming an ambassador for a club, re-spewing anecdotes over prawn sandwiches and plastic pints of John Smiths, for all eternity, until you can't take it any more and die of baldness

3 hours ago, damianb1 said:

But they give up large parts of their childhood playing football and practising, but I know where you're coming from.

4 hours ago, damianb1 said:

Tbf football generates its own funances all beit through us poor buggers having to pay through the nose for either live or tv watching 

3 hours ago, owlandished said:

Right, have you seen the level of punditry on TV these days? The bars pretty low. Worth investing some of those bonus ££££'s into media training and keeping your fingers crossed you pass a screen test and your agent can position your mass appeal correctly 

Otherwise, you risk letting your waistline go becoming an ambassador for a club, re-spewing anecdotes over prawn sandwiches and plastic pints of John Smiths, for all eternity, until you can't take it any more and die of baldness

How many slots as a pundit do you think there are?   Especially when you think that the likes of Lineker can probably go on for another 2 or 3 decades if they choose to?

There are only so many channels on even Sky.

So that's what, 6k pro's retiring each year, all wanting to become coaches or pundits or physios.....that's why so many do coaching badges whilst they are still players, to try to get them an angle when they have no more options left to play.   STILL - there is not enough jobs to go around for ex players. 

I'm not actually sure what your point was to be fair.

14 hours ago, vulva said:

Fair points, but £3m isn't a lot these days for someone that retires at 35. You can be very comfortable, but once you take into account the £1m house and upkeep, cars, holidays and school fees, it will soon disappear. 

Who needs to live in a 1 million pound house. A person could have a gorgeous house for around 400 k in the countryside. 

They could buy 10 2-bed terraced houses for around 1 million and rent them out for 450 a month. That's a 4500 per month income before tax. That equates to around 3k after expenses and deductions. A modest income perhaps in comparison to their football days but still with 1.5 million cash in the bank. They'd never have to work again!