Sean Morrison

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

A lot of clubs have moved ahead of us tactically, but perhaps don't have the resources we do. People make me laugh, if someone had posted that Wolves, or some club, were chasing Morrison, most would say, they're welcome to him

I'd certainly say they're welcome to him. A top ball playing ch to replace loovens is a key signing I think. Last year a lot of the time our midfield played too deep leaving a big gap to the forwards.  We then played a long ball or were slow getting forward. With a ch who can play out from the back our midfield could play further upfield. It used to drive me mad watching Bazza (who i think is a great footballer) collecting the ball next to the centre backs instead of doing the damage in the attacking third. 

Just now, Chris_B_SWFC said:

How "whelmed" were you all when we signed Tom Lees?

Let's just trust the manager, eh?

Well, I think the truth of the matter is is when you don't watch a player consistently you cannot make a good judgement.  

Personally with Tom Lees I was indifferent, I didn't know what we were getting.   I remember looking back some time ago thinking we were getting decent players previously that turned out to be terrible, the season we bought quickly because the club knew, but the fans did not, that they would soon be under transfer embargo for instance.    Those signings sounded very good on paper but look what happened with them, they were generally poor but with big things expected.

46 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Well, I think the truth of the matter is is when you don't watch a player consistently you cannot make a good judgement.  

Personally with Tom Lees I was indifferent, I didn't know what we were getting.   I remember looking back some time ago thinking we were getting decent players previously that turned out to be terrible, the season we bought quickly because the club knew, but the fans did not, that they would soon be under transfer embargo for instance.    Those signings sounded very good on paper but look what happened with them, they were generally poor but with big things expected.

This is true, but I'd wager most of us have seen more of him than Carlos

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Personally I'd be happy with Morrison as long as the price doesn't keep going up.  I like my centre backs to be rugged, great in the air and strong in the tackle.  If he can't pass then he's no worse than Tom Lees in that area as his distribution is awful.

Morrison ticks all the main boxes for me!  Has scored two (own) goals for us down the years too!!

3 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Personally I'd be happy with Morrison as long as the price doesn't keep going up.  I like my centre backs to be rugged, great in the air and strong in the tackle.  If he can't pass then he's no worse than Tom Lees in that area as his distribution is awful.

Morrison ticks all the main boxes for me!  Has scored two (own) goals for us down the years too!!

people forget mate how poor Tom lees distribution is. 

4 minutes ago, owls_wawaw said:

people forget mate how poor Tom lees distribution is. 

Peter Shirtcliffe and Nigel Pearson were pretty poor too at distribution.    They'd usually lump it diagonally wide, or shunt it back to the keeper if a quick simple pass to Palmer, Sheridan or Wilson wasn't on the cards.

Didn't spoil our football back then as I recall.    I think we fanny around with it at the back a little too much to be honest, let our defenders defend and not make them out to be the next Ronald Koeman.

Edited by salmonbones

42 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Peter Shirtcliffe and Nigel Pearson were pretty poor too at distribution.    They'd usually lump it diagonally wide, or shunt it back to the keeper if a quick simple pass to Palmer, Sheridan or Wilson wasn't on the cards.

Didn't spoil our football back then as I recall.    I think we fanny around with it at the back a little too much to be honest, let our defenders defend and not make them out to be the next Ronald Koeman.

Things have changed quite a bit mate. Obviously from then, but also the last two years, just look at the way the three other semi finalists play It's like our recruitment has been done by someone who last operated in this division, two or three years ago.

39 minutes ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

This one surprised me. Thought we could do better for 3 million but the market is inflated these days.  

I would have thought we could have found a ball playing centre back of similar stature on the continent. Frankly, none of our recent signings seem very Carlos like.

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Things have changed quite a bit mate. Obviously from then, but also the last two years, just look at the way the three other semi finalists play It's like our recruitment has been done by someone who last operated in this division, two or three years ago.

I know what you say, but if we are to play such low tempo we do need someone with a vision to see a pass and make it quickly and incisively.    

Equally we need movement for someone to make a pass to.    I don't think we have that, nor can probably afford that even with the Tuna money.

Last season someone like Morrison would have been better for us, in Carlos first season Morrison probably wouldn't have been so good.    I guess we need to know which formation and how attacking we are going to be before we decide if we need a lump of a presence at the back or someone more refined. 

To me, one no nonsense CB is needed if we are going to use the rest of the 9 outfield berths to the best of what we have.    We've had too many strikers make mugs out of us this season gone, and if we are going to get promoted we need to put those cute kind of strikers in their place somewhat next season.    

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Unless we go back with another offer. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we slap 3mil bids in for Morrison, Hanley, Flint, Roberts, and gawd knows who else just to test the water. 

Just now, wilyfox said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we slap 3mil bids in for Morrison, Hanley, Flint, Roberts, and gawd knows who else just to test the water. 

Have to agree mate. 

39 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

I know what you say, but if we are to play such low tempo we do need someone with a vision to see a pass and make it quickly and incisively.    

Equally we need movement for someone to make a pass to.    I don't think we have that, nor can probably afford that even with the Tuna money.

Last season someone like Morrison would have been better for us, in Carlos first season Morrison probably wouldn't have been so good.    I guess we need to know which formation and how attacking we are going to be before we decide if we need a lump of a presence at the back or someone more refined. 

To me, one no nonsense CB is needed if we are going to use the rest of the 9 outfield berths to the best of what we have.    We've had too many strikers make mugs out of us this season gone, and if we are going to get promoted we need to put those cute kind of strikers in their place somewhat next season.    

I see us turning into a good solid championship side, with good solid championship players, perhaps devoid of that little something extra that can get us out of the division