Conor Hourihane

On 01/06/2017 at 12:31, Bodhidharma said:

We also have one of the best passers of the ball to strikers in our squad..

Almen Abdi.

Only problem there is that he can't pass to them from the stands. It's a difficult one the Abdi situation because I don't think he's strong enough to play in a two man midfield so who drops out to accommodate him?

14 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

Only problem there is that he can't pass to them from the stands. It's a difficult one the Abdi situation because I don't think he's strong enough to play in a two man midfield so who drops out to accommodate him?

Most of Abdi's Premier League appearances came as a wide midfielder, so he should be more than capable of playing a similar role for us once finally fit.

20 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

West Midlands press........... 

Aston Villa are tracking the availability of Fleetwood Town left-back, Amari'i Bell - according to reports.

The defender has impressed in League One and is fully capable going forward as well as back.

Norwich are also thought to be keen, but any move from Villa could depend on the club getting rid of Jordan Amavi, who is currently second in-line behind Neil Taylor.

Meanwhile, Sheffield Wednesday have been linked with a move for Conor Hourihane.

The midfielder only joined Villa in January, but Wednesday might be tempted to try and pry him from B6 with a big-money offer.

A pity we ain't shown an interest in that Fleetwood Town full back/wing back Amari'i Bell. Because we need to upgrade our full backs/wing backs and add some pace and crossing ability.

25 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Most of Abdi's Premier League appearances came as a wide midfielder, so he should be more than capable of playing a similar role for us once finally fit.

I thought he looked completely lost (or just unfit) when he played wide early on in the season.

3 minutes ago, MuddyFunkster said:

I thought he looked completely lost (or just unfit) when he played wide early on in the season.

Yeah, he did look below par in his appearances for us so far, but I can only assume that was due to his fitness issues. He's used to being played as a wide midfielder at the top level, so he should be more than capable of playing a similar role for us. Considering how Carlos likes one of his wide men to tuck in, Abdi should be a perfect fit.

6 hours ago, MuddyFunkster said:

Disagree about being strong enough to play in a two. He's stronger than Bannan and Lee, would probably chip in with more goals than Bannan and in the cameos of last season he just doesn't cough possession up.

I do agree though that he can't do that sat in the stands and therein lies the problem.

My gut feeling tells me if he plays with Lee in a two man midfield, he plays the midfield anchor better than Bannan, with the added bonus that if he gets 25-30 yds from goal I fancy him to bury 3-4 a season.

The downside is work rate out of possession and we know how much CC covets that. Saying that I remember him chasing down L**ds right winger last season so I don't think he's lazy either.

We haven't seen him at his best, I hope we do because he is a very very good player.

14 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I can remember reading somewhere he only wanted out of watford because they keep playing  him on the wing.

this is from there forum at the time,

When he's fit Abdi is by far the best midfielder in the championship. He had a bit of trouble with injuries but on his day he is unplayable. Be sad to see him go but he's been played out of his position in the Prem and hasn't settled as well as some of the others.

On 2017-6-2 at 00:12, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

When your stat website reckons Hourihane and Knockaert were the best two defensive players in the Championship, you know you've filtered it wrong somehow...

:duntmatter:

Think its sorted by overall rating, i.e. rates him as best overall player in the league last season

8 hours ago, saywended said:

I can remember reading somewhere he only wanted out of watford because they keep playing  him on the wing.

this is from there forum at the time,

When he's fit Abdi is by far the best midfielder in the championship. He had a bit of trouble with injuries but on his day he is unplayable. Be sad to see him go but he's been played out of his position in the Prem and hasn't settled as well as some of the others.

Yeah, football fans post all sorts of nonsense on these forums, don't they?

:duntmatter:

I'm not saying his best position is out wide (I suspect it's not), but he's clearly capable of playing there, otherwise he wouldn't have got so many games as a wide midfielder in the Premier League.

Wherever he plays, I just hope he can stay fit and we can finally see the best of him in a Wednesday shirt next season.