How many players do we need, realistically?

6 minutes ago, talon said:

This has got to be the summer when considerable focus and investment is brought to bear on our defence. One high quality CB, and two full backs, preferably ones who are quick enough (and with enough end product) to play in a midfield five.

Agreed about the centre half position - this coming season has to be the year Glenn takes a step back and isn't relied on as much; he can offer excellent cover with Sasso (if he stays).

Not sure about the full backs though. Hunt has been excellent the second half of the season and with the shackles off a bit I think he'd be more influential going forward. Think Pudil could do a decent job again next season too, depends if his legs can last the season! Are Palmer and Fox capable competition? Not sure, but I think finances might be a bit tighter this season and I think we have higher priorities than improving competition at full-back.

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Great OP.

I feel player questions are on hold until we know about Carlos. He will play 442, so what's the point in looking at who fits into a 433.

Any new manager will have his own style and philosophy, so such a discussion makes more sense next week.

I think we need almost no players though. What we have are shown good enough, if played as a team and in their best positions.

The ironic thing is that CC wrote a book all about the virtues of playing a 4-3-3 system.

I think we're about 4/5 players away from absolutely tearing this league a new one.

We need some presence and some athletes, we're pretty much the anti-Dave Jones team at the moment.

I would like:

A big quick nasty centre half.

An athletic powerful attacking midfielder in the Izzy Brown mould.

2 quick wingers who are direct, can beat a man and get early balls into the box. Although I'd happily take one quick plus Brunt.

I'd also like a quick forward so we have some threat in behind, but we're a bit overloaded up top.

Edited by Tom Moore
Typo

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Great OP.

I feel player questions are on hold until we know about Carlos. He will play 442, so what's the point in looking at who fits into a 433.

Any new manager will have his own style and philosophy, so such a discussion makes more sense next week.

I think we need almost no players though. What we have are shown good enough, if played as a team and in their best positions.

Agreed. And that has been one of the many frustrations this season. CC had arguably the best & biggest squad in the Division but seems incapable of knowing what to do to get the best out of it! What he is brilliant at, unfortunately, is signing confident players at the top of their game and sucking every last bit of confidence out of them, leaving a shell of the player we paid good money for!

Edited by Almat

Just now, Almat said:

Agreed. And that has been one of the many frustrations this season. CC had arguably the best & biggest squad in the Division but seems incapable of knowing what to do to get the best out of it! 

I feel Carlos got too focused on game management rather than utilising his squad to its strengths. He's also shown in the past he can change and learn from mistakes. I hope he stays and I hope he uses the tools he has for their intended purpose, and I'm convinced we'll go one step further than the past two seasons.

We defo need to sell a striker or two - Joao and Winnall would be the obvious ones and we'd probably still get £15m for Fessi.  So I'm not too worried about FFP as that should cover any incomings.

Broadly agree with the OP's positions, in order of priority I'd go for:

Centre Back - Big with pace who can partner Lees for 40+ games and get an understanding going

Potential targets: Pontus Jansen, Florentin Pogba, Dedryk Boyata, Stephen Caulker, Bruno Manga, Sebastion Bassong

Left Back - Younger and pacier than Pudil

Potential Targets: Charlie Taylor, Luke Garbutt, Armand Traore

Wide Forward/Attacking Midfielder - With pace who could cut in from the right as Fessi cuts in from the left

Potential Targets: Tom Ince, Patrick Roberts, Alen Hallilovic

For me is glaringly obvious the priorities are the same as last summer . A top quality centre half, a box to box beast midfielder and a pacy, direct winger who can get past his full back and supply quality into the box. 

6 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

Think it's relatively straight forward:

1 Centre Half

1 Left Back
1 Ball winning midfielder
2 Wingers who can stretch the game when the possession football isin't working.

Exactly that. Basically the same players we needed this time last season 

Personally , in post playoff suicide mood, I think we are in a bit of a mess.

We have a very unbalanced squad which don't fit together into any system worth playing and lack pace and physical presence

Midfield and striker options don't fit together. 

Yep , we need a big strong centre half irrespective of which system we play.

After that it all depends on who is manager and what system we are going to play.

If we end up going proper 442 then we need to recruit a strong running beast in midfield, possibly 2. and a proper winger.We just don't have midfielders to play 442.

If we go 433, or anything that needs a lone striker then we need a big turnover on the striker front as we have too many that need 442

If it is Carlos stays and he wants to stick with his same pseudo 442 then he needs to find a way of injecting more pace into the team. 

We need to sort the manager situation out next week and then focus on some very targetted recruitment rather than the "two players for each position " approach

Until we know the managerial situation it's impossible to say. Let's say for example that Pardew is in charge, he was the one in charge at Palace when they sold us Bannan so he may not think that Bannan is what he wants. It's all IFs and BUTs until the managerial situation is nailed down with Carlos staying or someone else coming in.

To stay as play off contenders: not a lot

To challenge for the top 2: A whole new back four (maybe Lees could stay)

2 Wingers who can play wide with pace

45 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Personally , in post playoff suicide mood, I think we are in a bit of a mess.

We have a very unbalanced squad which don't fit together into any system worth playing and lack pace and physical presence

Midfield and striker options don't fit together. 

Yep , we need a big strong centre half irrespective of which system we play.

After that it all depends on who is manager and what system we are going to play.

If we end up going proper 442 then we need to recruit a strong running beast in midfield, possibly 2. and a proper winger.We just don't have midfielders to play 442.

If we go 433, or anything that needs a lone striker then we need a big turnover on the striker front as we have too many that need 442

If it is Carlos stays and he wants to stick with his same pseudo 442 then he needs to find a way of injecting more pace into the team. 

We need to sort the manager situation out next week and then focus on some very targetted recruitment rather than the "two players for each position " approach

This