How many players do we need, realistically?

53 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I'm sure that 12 months ago we were asking for better players at left back, centre half, physical midfielder, a right sided wide player and a decent striker. We seemed to go overboard on the strikers and neglect the other areas.

Even though we went overboard on the strikers, most of them were not what we needed

6 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

Think it's relatively straight forward:

1 Centre Half

1 Left Back
1 Ball winning midfielder
2 Wingers who can stretch the game when the possession football isin't working.

This. I would maybe go for a LB last, as I think we do have cover with Pudil, Fox and Reach. We do have cover at CB, with Sasso and Hutch able to come in, although I do feel we could do with one more.

For me, I would probably concentrate more on the last 2 options first. We need a strong ball winner in the middle, that won't get bullied, and can play. I'm talking CM here, not a pure DM, as Hutch has that spot nailed if fit. Then two quick wide men, not wingers necessarily, but able to get wide and run at the opposites FB's. Jockying back is hard work, and not particularly nice, FB's hate it and sooner or later need to make a decision, often the wrong one.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Even though we went overboard on the strikers, most of them were not what we needed

A lot voiced their concerns at the Rhodes signing wondering where the service would come from for a proven player at this level. Now he looks as though he has lost his confidence which will be compounded by Carlos stating he didnt want to take a penalty. Rhodes is a player that thrives on balls into the box which were provided by Roberts and Huddersfield and Marshall at Blackburn. We don't have that service. Winnall another who has been let down by the service which Hourihane provided for him at Barnsley.

How many players have improved under Carlos? Will we see our wide players improve their crossing during the pre-season?

How anyone can even suggest selling Gary Hooper is beyond me. 

Did you not notice the difference he made to our side when he was back?!

Poor form without....6 wins in 6 with him back fit, then 0 wins in 2 when out again in the playoffs!

He's arguably the most important cog in that side. 

5 players for me.

Full backs and wingers on each side who can get up and down the pitch but can also cross the ball and take good set pieces (we're generally mediocre at this) and a centre half who would go alongside Lees. They also need to be a bit of a leader who organises and galvanises the team. We seem to be a quiet side.

I'd only keep the 2 keepers and Sasso out of the players who are out of contract. Return the loan players, look for good offers on Palmer, Fox, McGugan, Joao and Matias.

7 hours ago, swfcGibbo said:

Think it's relatively straight forward:

1 Centre Half

1 Left Back
1 Ball winning midfielder
2 Wingers who can stretch the game when the possession football isin't working.

Don't need a centre half. Hutch and Lees first choice with Sasso and Loovens as cover.

New CDM though. 

Get shut of McGugan, Kean,  Dielna, McManaman, Buckley, Sougou, Urby

See if we can get takers for Fox, Fletcher, Joao

tell FF he's a winger. 

Agree EE with other targets. Winger seem a bit pointless unless CC changes tactics drastically

For me we need 3 players:

Hutch has to go to CB permanently. Make him and Lees the solid CB pairing for the foreseeable future.

We need a RB in the style of Jack Hunt, but who actually has a final ball. 

If we spend any sort of money it needs to be on a quality, commanding CM to step into Hutchinsons role. Win the ball, break down attacks and create.

Lastly we need a winger with true pace. 

There has to be some big, brave decisions in the summer. From the Chairman and the management. 

First question is, should Carlos be given a 3rd campaign? Will he want one?

You cannot doubt Carlos' record, and a manager achieving the playoffs two seasons in a row, is a undoubted achievement. However, for me, we've gone backwards this season, despite what the position and points achieved column says. The Championship was far weaker this season (compare last seasons Playoff teams to this), and our performances throughout this season have underwhelmed. 

I'd give him the opportunity to lead us into a 3rd season, but performances and most importantly, recruitment HAVE to improve. Which leads to the next, major issue. 

The squad. It needs trimming, and it needs improving in certain areas. But the main issue is how we get the best out of our best players...namely Hutchinson, Forestieri & Rhodes. 

Goalkeeper

Westwood

Wildsmith

No problems with the GK situation. Wildsmith is a good, young understudy. He'll get games in the cup & with Westwood's injury record, he'll more than likely get a handful of appearances in the league aswell. 

Right Back 

NEW SIGNING

Hunt

One area that needs improving. Hunt is a good, solid right back, but if we want to take that next step, he needs genuine competition, and Palmer needs moving on.

Left Back

NEW SIGNING

Fox

Harsh this one, but I think Pudil should be moved on. Fox has shown promise, but not enough to become a key player. When you see the likes of Malone, Lowe, Taylor, Bruno...you realise how much a good full back can add to a teams attacking intent.

Centre Back

Hutchinson/NEW SIGNING

Lees

Loovens

Sasso

No issues with the centre halves for me, if we move Hutchinson back. Which, if we continue to play a variation of 4-4-2, he has to. If Carlos decides to revert to a 4-3-3 which will get the best out of our current players, then a centre half who is confident with the ball at his feet, is a necessity. 

Centre Midfield

Hutchinson/NEW SIGNING

Bannan

Lee

Jones

Abdi

Once again, dependant on Carlos' (or the new managers!) vision for the upcoming season. If we opt to go with the 4-3-3, then there is no need to add anything to this midfield. It's set up for that, with a good variety of players and options. However, if we opt to stick with 4-4-2, and Hutchinson is moved back into centre of defence, an all round defensively sound midfielder who can boss a game in a two man midfield is a must. Someone in the mould of Kayal, Williams (Reading), MacDonald (Fulham) or Edwards (Wolves).

Right Midfield

NEW SIGNING

Wallace

Another area that needs improving. Wallace has been tremendous for the most part this season (was my Player of the Year), but it's still a position we've failed to improve on. Wallace has seen off numerous competitors, Sougou, McGeady, Buckley, McManaman. We desperately need a more unpredictable, flair player. Wallace provides the consistency and steadiness, but in games where we need a spark, a flair player (ideally with pace) is desperately required. 

Left Wing

Forestieri/NEW SIGNING

Reach

Again, dependant on system. Switching to 4-3-3, the two options of Reach & FF are fine. Enough variety between them, however, if we stick with 4-4-2, we need another genuine wide midfielder/winger to play as part of a midfield 4. 

Strikers

Hooper

Rhodes

Forestieri

Fletcher

Nuhiu/Winnall/Joao

One area we certainly don't need any additions is the forward line. In fact, I think we could do with losing one or two. We'll all have differing views, and I'd imagine mine is in the minority. But Winnall is the weakest player from the group, and he'd have no shortage of suitors. Nuhiu is the next obvious, but he's the only one that offers something different. If Nuhiu went, I'd be inclined to bring someone else in, who can play the role of a genuine target man. I personally like to see Joao given another opportunity...he's a talented lad, and someone who I think could go on and have a very good career. Unpopular I know...but if we receive a bid of the £8-10m reported earlier in the season, for Forestieri, I maybe tempted to cash in, and spend it very wisely elsewhere. 

Get rid of:

Emanualson, McGugan, Melo, Buckley, McManaman, Pudil, Palmer, Semedo, Winnall, Matias, Sougou, Kean

I would be tempted to play a 4, 2, 3,1 formation

Westwood

Hunt, Lees, Loovens, Pudil

Hutch, Bannan

Wallace, Lee, forestieri

Rhodes

This system allows Hutch, Bannan, Lee and Forestieri to all play in their best positions.

I think we need a new CB, and at least 1 Winger.