Stadium Capacity discussion; is a 40k stadium too big?

3 minutes ago, bluemagic said:

Good point, I hope you are right anyhow. Would love us to get 40k avg. Not 100% certain I am correct in what I have been saying, in splits minds on it. Difficult one to predict, because as you say being in the Premier is maybe is like winning a cup. I guess time will time. I think I'll probably go round in circles if I discuss it further, so I agree to disagree :)

No worries mate

I put the link up mate..its easy to check....

Mind you, we had 30k against Villa didn't we? 

Dunno where they would fit the other 9k if we were allowed them in. 

The placed looked full.

And before you say, there were scattered seats around the ground. This is 1/4 of the stadium we are talking about. 

Guest Grez Bez

Why does everyone care about history so much?

The Sheffield Metro area easily has a population that could get 50k+ crowds. We just need to work on the youngsters...

The premier league is a very different animal these days even the pigs averaged over thirty thousand with reduced away followings does anyone think they have more fans than us

We should be looking at a renovated 50000 capacity stadium when we get back to the top flight 

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

what are you on about?

catchment area,within 50miles of Sheffield how many big teams can you support?

2 Sheffield teams

2mancs

leeds

forest

derby etc.

You can drive north from Sunderland for 100 miles,west for 60 miles and pass 1 English football club,so that's why they have the fan base you can only dream of.

2 hours ago, bluemagic said:

Think that came down to the prawn cocktail glory supporter brigade. They simple didn't dare go to Liverpool and Manchester or Leeds due to the serious hooligan element at those clubs, likewise Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham all had serious problems. So they only got the local hardcore fans like Wednesday did. Question is, can we attract those glory supporters if we made to the Premier, I think it would be difficult as they can go to Man Utd or City fairly easy, and we probably will never be spending 100-200 million a season on players.

Just as many prawn cocktail supporters were frightened away from Hillsborough.  I think the negative press after the disaster had a massive effect on our crowds and is still doing so, more so than any other club.  Wednesday will sell out the first season back in the Premier division.  The ground capacity will need doubling for the success around the corner.  I don't see Manchester United as a bigger club than Sheffield Wednesday, once the club is run right and they start to suck in fans within a 40 minute drive of Sheffield.

14 minutes ago, BECKS-TO-BUD said:

2 Sheffield teams

2mancs

leeds

forest

derby etc.

You can drive north from Sunderland for 100 miles,west for 60 miles and pass 1 English football club,so that's why they have the fan base you can only dream of.

why are you telling me this? look at my location 

Guest Grez Bez
1 hour ago, BECKS-TO-BUD said:

2 Sheffield teams

2mancs

leeds

forest

derby etc.

It doesn't matter if nobody lives there...

Sheffield City region is c.1.8M;Tyne & Wear has c.1.2. The majority of which support Newcastle

Edited by Grez Bez

2 hours ago, hypnosisman said:

Just as many prawn cocktail supporters were frightened away from Hillsborough.  I think the negative press after the disaster had a massive effect on our crowds and is still doing so, more so than any other club.  Wednesday will sell out the first season back in the Premier division.  The ground capacity will need doubling for the success around the corner.  I don't see Manchester United as a bigger club than Sheffield Wednesday, once the club is run right and they start to suck in fans within a 40 minute drive of Sheffield.

I agree we are capable of pulling 35 to 40k in the Premier League, so something  definetly needs doing with regards to the current ground restrictons/capacity. However to claim we are/can be of equal size to Manchester United is ridiculous and makes you look stupid. Remember Dave Richards saying something similar 25 years since, it wasn't true then and the gap has only widened since. These people saying we have never had the same crowds as  Sunderland, West Ham and Everton are either youngsters other have selective memories. We had the fourth highest average in the country in 91/92 season with just below 30k, most teams were around 20-25k average then. If they can all grow so much, why can't we? Just shows how much getting relegated when we did affected us. Just prior to the sky Tv/Premier League boom and no parachute payments back then. If, no when we get back to the Premier League demand for tickets would by far outweigh our currente capacity, 40k minimum would be needed (add another 5 to 10k for 4 or 5  of the bigger matches).

1 hour ago, rob chester said:

40K stadium is fine we have only increased our attendance's this year who knows what crowds will be next year on the back of a failed playoff bid Sheffield folk are very fickle surprised the blunts managed to hold onto what they still have now. West stand needs redeveloping and a Kop without posts would be nice with a sensible pricing structure.

Fickle ?? 1 trophy between them in 80 odd years and crowds just as big after 17 years of relegation scraps !!!

We get into the Prem and we'll be pulling in Toytown, Dingles, Donkeys, Tarn etc. We've been gone a long time from the top table and we'd easily sell out 40K stadium. I also think DC will bring down the prices a bit, only gone up to compete with FFP.  

Redevelop Hillsborough as per the World Cup plans, It'll be like field of dreams I tell ya