Stadium Capacity discussion; is a 40k stadium too big?

23 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

if we got into the premiership now we wouldn't be far off of 40k, attendances have increased in general. If teams like Sunderland, Everton, West Ham can get that then we can.

Doubt we've ever got close in our history to what Everton have averaged, and whilst we might have averaged more than West Ham in the early 90s they've averaged over 30k for about 15 years.. also read somewhere they have 60k on their waiting list for season tickets

Just now, SWFC18 said:

Doubt we've ever got close in our history to what Everton have averaged, and whilst we might have averaged more than West Ham in the early 90s they've averaged over 30k for about 15 years.. also read somewhere they have 60k on their waiting list for season tickets

don't look to the past look to the future, UTO WAWAW FTB YNWA

25 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

if we got into the premiership now we wouldn't be far off of 40k, attendances have increased in general. If teams like Sunderland, Everton, West Ham can get that then we can.

As above plus you don't build a stadium to match your average gate you build it to accommodate big match day potential. In the premiership we would need a ground with over 40k capacity. West ham had 56k to play Leicester at the weekend. 

The 2018 world cup bid plans always seemed about right to me (44k capacity).  With the potential of adding more when and if we get a decent team again. 

Has anyone been to West hams ground yet?

I always get the impression you need binoculars to see the game. The stadium wasn't designed for football. 

If any if you recall the millennium stadium view, it was designed for the purpose of rugby and football games. 

11 minutes ago, bluemagic said:

article-0-06E59349000005DC-1_468x180.jpg

I thought the lepping lane end looked decent, where the kop met the north looked a little bit messy to my eye.

In the eyes of the beholder as they say.

I'd rather revamp Hillsborough at any cost than move , and DC is a very astute businessman , can't see his long term plans revolving around 30k attendances.

Oh , and chuck in a standing area as well , gets ruddy chilly sat dahn fer 2 hours.

Just now, daztheowl said:

In the eyes of the beholder as they say.

I'd rather revamp Hillsborough at any cost than move , and DC is a very astute businessman , can't see his long term plans revolving around 30k attendances.

Oh , and chuck in a standing area as well , gets ruddy chilly sat dahn fer 2 hours.

Yup, I'd prefer a revamp of Hillsborough. If we did have to move - because SYP won't stop meddling - I hope we find a decent location near the centre with pubs near it. I'd be gutted if we ended up on an industrial estate near the Arena.

There has been talk of bringing back standing in to grounds again. Not sure what the latest is. But celtic have 3000 retractable seats that can be used for standing or seating.  That would surely boost the atmosphere at hillsborough.  

Edited by iliveinthenow

2 minutes ago, iliveinthenow said:

There has been talk of bringing back standing in to grounds again. Not sure what the latest is. But celtic have 3000 retractable seats that can be used for standing or seating.  That would surely boost the atmosphere at hillsborough.  

Yeah , was reading about that the other day , would increase some capacity and revenue as well if set out right. Don't think we'd ever get go ahead for it though.

Unless we join the protest.

wp_ss_20170311_0001.png

8 minutes ago, scram said:

When was the time prior to that - and the time since - that similar capacity has been reached?

We are in the crappy second division and have now been here for 5 years, everything about future expansion has to be on the assumption that we will be a premiership club, what do you think the attendance would be against the Manchester and Liverpool clubs? 

22 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

Yeah , was reading about that the other day , would increase some capacity and revenue as well if set out right. Don't think we'd ever get go ahead for it though.

Unless we join the protest.

wp_ss_20170311_0001.png

Hillsborough will be the last ground in the country to get standing. SAG and Liverpool will make sure of it (won't affect them having a standing area though, like they unofficially do now)

8 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Hillsborough will be the last ground in the country to get standing. SAG and Liverpool will make sure of it (won't affect them having a standing area though, like they unofficially do now)

Credence Big Ron , all the more reason to protest about it.

Would fit in nicely with a stadium revamp , but these arseholes will put a dampener on it.

27 minutes ago, aeroswfc said:

Dont understand why the capacity keeps getting lowered.

89 still lives on in the memories of the council and police.

In a generation or two it will have moved on somewhat from and you may find a softer approach from them, 

Of course, liverpool will never forget. 

Edited by iliveinthenow