Stadium Capacity discussion; is a 40k stadium too big?

4 hours ago, hypnosisman said:

Let's go back to 1991 when Wednesday got promoted under Big Ron.  They averaged 26K when the average in the top division was 20K.  Back in the early 50's they were averaging 42K a week, which was close to what Man Utd were getting at the time.  Imagine what crowds Wednesday would have got in the 50's if they had been near the top of the 1st division, not going between the 1st and 2nd division.  Most Premier division clubs are getting bigger crowds than they historically got in their heyday.  Run Wednesday right and they will get massive crowds.  A ground move to the East End would massively increase crowds, a modern ground could be built to look good and create the right atmosphere.

We finished runners-up in Division 1 in 1961 and only averaged 30k, whereas Everton averaged over 40k. History doesn't support the idea we will average 40k with a good team, because we had two in 1961 and in 1992 and we didn't average over 30k.

6 hours ago, bradowl said:

Football in this country has moved on massively from early 90s. 

Clubs like Newcastle, Sunderland, Chelsea and many more were getting much smaller attendance than they are now. I can remember going to Old Trafford in late 80s and they were only 32,000 and capacity was 57,000 even back then. 

If we ever get to premeir league I'm almost certain we would need a bigger stadium especially with restrictions we have in place for segregation at Hillsborough. 

West Brom couldn't even fill a 26k stadium vs Arsenal on saturday. A club with a very good history and in the country's 2nd city. 

Not sure football has moved on that much if you are struggling in the Premier, people get bored of having no hope.

24 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

27000 against Burton Brentford Readingetc who brought none

Does anyone honestly think that we wouldn't get a further 10000 or so against

Manu

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

City etc?

Honestly ?

I remember us having plenty of empty seats vs all those clubs - except Manchester United - in the late 1990's when attendances had increased post 96 Euro's.

With Man United, alot in the North and South were United, remember about 500-1000 jumping up one year in the South when they scored.

Edited by bluemagic

Arsenal, spurs, City, Utd ,Liverpool, Newcastle, Everton, Chelsea games would all be over 40.

Leicester , Hull and maybe Sunderland and Boro would bring loads.

Sunderland used to fill the away and.

I think you'd be surprised how many away fans we'd get in the premier league.

Every club that was in the premier league back in the day and is still in it now has increased their attendances since the early 90s.

We would too. By how many is a guess.

Would be absolutely stupid to build a small stadium.

27 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

27000 against Burton Brentford Readingetc who brought none

Does anyone honestly think that we wouldn't get a further 10000 or so against

Manu

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

City etc?

Honestly ?

No we wouldn't I think our peak would be around 35k

Just now, punkskaphil said:

I can remember being able to pay on the gate at a 38,000 capacity Highbury in the mid '90s - a time when Arsenal were doing well. They can now fill a 60,000 capacity stadium. Things do change.

London has always had lowish attendance for head of population, with about 1 club per 1,000,000 people. London has also grown since the 90's with all the immigrant workers. I think they simple had the potential to increase. We share a city with another club with only 500,000, and all the towns surrounding having teams, I question whether the potential is the same. Plus we have to compete with Man United and City for the local glory supporters.

3 minutes ago, bluemagic said:

London has always had lowish attendance for head of population, with about 1 club per 1,000,000 people. London has also grown since the 90's with all the immigrant workers. I think they simple had the potential to increase. We share a city with another club with only 500,000, and all the towns surrounding having teams, I question whether the potential is the same. Plus we have to compete with Man United and City for the local glory supporters.

Arsenal's main neighbours have all increased as well though: Chelsea and Spurs are hugely expanding and West Ham are filling a 52,000 stadium.

Given that we have been able to get 38,000 of our own fans into the stadium for a big occasion against a team who brought virtually no fans of their own, we can easily get well over 40,000 against teams that'll bring a large following in the Prem. We might not fill it every home game, but we'd manage it several times over the course of a season in the top flight. Limiting or downsizing the capacity would be a very short-sighted business decision.

27 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Arsenal's main neighbours have all increased as well though: Chelsea and Spurs are hugely expanding and West Ham are filling a 52,000 stadium.

Given that we have been able to get 38,000 of our own fans into the stadium for a big occasion against a team who brought virtually no fans of their own, we can easily get well over 40,000 against teams that'll bring a large following in the Prem. We might not fill it every home game, but we'd manage it several times over the course of a season in the top flight. Limiting or downsizing the capacity would be a very short-sighted business decision.

Yup I think we'd definitely get 40k for the big matches like Man Utd, but I suppose they would bring 20k if the seats were available.

I guess after 20 years of being so-so to downright awful, I am looking at it from a glass half full. I expect us to be a top half of the Championship to struggling Premier side, due to the obscene money the big clubs now have. On that scenario, I think we will hover around 25-33k avg depending on our performance, and personally I'd prefer a full 30k stadium with the improved atmosphere and feel good factor of no empty seats, to 10-15k empty seats and the hope of one day being the new Mans City.

Norwich avg 16,000 first division 1994....todays avg a league lower 25'000

Southampton in 1994...14'500 top division...today 30'000

Stoke 1985 top div avg.10'700...today..27'000

Leicester top division 1995...19'000..today 30'000

It would be ludicrous to inhibit Wednesday to 30'000...

20 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

So we would get less than we did against Wycombe?...about the same as we did against Arsenal last year...?

Maybe but would we get that on a regular basis bearing in mind we'd probably be looking at ticket prices of around £50 minimum.

I think DC's marketing strategy is exceptional. Prices so high that Season tickets look like a steal in comparison (I mean they're not but its genious), while away fans stay away, not even Leeds sold out this season.

Current strategy, make ST's look so popular that those who haven't got are worried about having the option taken away and hence a big waiting list (genious)

I wouldn't bet against DC having something to do with the current capacity enforcement of about 29,000 home fans, making it look and feel like our best option for guaranteed footbal next season is a season ticket. Once again it's pretty clever stuff.

Think if we can get rid of over 20,000 ST's in the champ (I dont know what we'll get for next season), we could well need a 40k stadium. We dropped out of the prem just before crowds soared so I would imagine we'd beat our previous high prem average attendance by a long way.

People mentioning high attendances at West Ham. This is mainly down to them having fantastic prices in comparison to most of football ........ less than £300 for Premier League football and under £100 for kids. These are sensational prices and makes it affordable for a bloke to take his family not just himself so attendance figures soon rocket. 

If we maintained our current pricing structure in the premier league apart from the big games I don't think attendances would increase dramatically especially as every game could be streamed online for free or many in the local pub on sky/bt

Screenshot_20170320-164512.png

12 minutes ago, darra said:

Maybe but would we get that on a regular basis bearing in mind we'd probably be looking at ticket prices of around £50 minimum.

Season ticket prices are not outlandish, I would expect that trend to continue....I would also expect a substantial increase in Season ticket sales should when we finally reach the Prem...The TV money would surely subsidise the club to a significant amount....Thats whats happening at West Brom , Stoke etc..

Some of these clubs that I would say do not have the pulling power of Wednesday have virtually DOUBLED their attendance in TODAYS Premier league

4 minutes ago, MuppetSpotter said:

Utter nonsense. This isn't glass half empty! It's downright ill-informed bo ll ocks.

How is it? The only one posting bo ll ocks replies is you with nothing to back up what you say.

History doesn't lie, we had very good side in the past which nearly won Division One in the 60's and we didn't get over 30k avg. At a time all the other big clubs were getting 40k+ avg. That wasn't the 80's when hooliganism affected attendance. 

Edited by bluemagic

I honestly think that 40K attendances are possible on a regular basis whether it be at the very top end of the Championship but certainly in the Premier League.

Who knows, we may even attract some new supporters who quietly fold their red and white scarfs into the far corner of the bottom drawer given the attraction of the PL.