No Wednesdayite car park next year

Certainly the 'Vast majority' can probably walk 15 minutes, but many like myself are unable to do so. Take my own position, and there are many like myself. I have been a ST holder for many years, been watching Wednesday for SEVENTY years, have made a group of friends of the people who sit nearby and don't want to change my seat. I have NEVER lived any closer to Sheffield than Hoyland (In my youth) and now live in Buxton. My friends and I travel to all home matches by the only feasible route - by car. All three of us are to some extent disabled. I personally use two sticks and walk with difficulty.We need to know that there is a car parking place available before setting off on our hour-long journey each way, and that it is close by the ground. The Wednesdayite Car Park has been a boon to us, and great compliments need to be paid to the VOUNTEERS who run it, and are often unable to see the full match for their duties.

I would not be averse to public transport werethere some whereto park prior (P&R), but unless you live in the sheffield area, Public Transport is a joke! Anticipating this closure, we have been asking questions of the club prior to its demise, to little effect.

So, Please, Locals, don't be so sanctimonious. You are not the only Wednesdayites. Incidentally, travelling home from the night games so frequent this season, I have noticed many cars, parking in and around the ground, which get away from the ground only to turn off into relatively nearby streets.

Edited by Buxtongent

41 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Youve heard wrong

All of the land in that triangle has been bought up by Jaguar Estates - bar the timber yard.

Mr Chansiri was offered the land during his purchase of the club, and since then too, and wasn't interested either time. Which would suggest hes still checking the viability of moving the stadium.

Logical conclusion.

Wednesday destined for the Premiership under Mr C whether this season or another. Hillsborough no longer viable as a Premier League stadium. Demands a stadium and facilities thta can maximise the profits from a PL existence.

Emotion and history will take 2nd place when the time comes. FACT.

Guest Deleted member
13 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Logical conclusion.

Wednesday destined for the Premiership under Mr C whether this season or another. Hillsborough no longer viable as a Premier League stadium. Demands a stadium and facilities thta can maximise the profits from a PL existence.

Emotion and history will take 2nd place when the time comes. FACT.

A chairman with vision. Brilliant

Guest Deleted member
1 minute ago, LoOkOut said:

Grandad do you think inho Wednesday could do what spurs did rather then move ?

Spurs don't have a river down two sides - and the houses down the other. IMHO - no.

2 minutes ago, LoOkOut said:

Grandad do you think inho Wednesday could do what spurs did rather then move ?

Hire Wembley you mean?

We'll be sick of the bloody place before too long anyhow.

* Apologies in advance if optimism offends anyone* 

Does seem logical that we will move grounds at some point. 

Hillsborough is a great ground, but a new shiny, purpose built stadium would likely see the club kick on a few more levels. 

39 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Does seem logical that we will move grounds at some point. 

Hillsborough is a great ground, but a new shiny, purpose built stadium would likely see the club kick on a few more levels. 

Redeveloping Hillsbro along the lines of the world cup plans is the way forward for me. No need to move . I hate these new flat pack bowl stadiums. 

I'm with grandad a new stadium is inevitable at some point as sadly hillsborough is no longer fit for future purpose as regards commercial needs and it's capacity. 

6 minutes ago, darra said:

I'm with grandad a new stadium is inevitable at some point as sadly hillsborough is no longer fit for future purpose as regards commercial needs and it's capacity. 

Yep...

Be interesting to know how much it would cost to redevelop Hillsborough ala World Cup 2020 bid in comparison with actually just building a brand new stadium. 

Think the main issue is commercial potential. The vast majority of these new stadiums are in locations where there's plenty of land to redevelop and make further money off. 

The concourses at hillsborough are too narrow for a start. Maybe somebody might know but if Mr C decided to move out meadowhall way to build a new stadium on old industry land would there be some tax breaks or grants available? Probably not I would think.

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Redeveloping Hillsbro along the lines of the world cup plans is the way forward for me. No need to move . I hate these new flat pack bowl stadiums. 

Agree with the flat pack stadiums & no doubt the world cup plans would have would have transformed Hillsborough visually. Unfortunately the infrastructure within the stadium would still be outdated in many areas & not fit for purpose. It also wouldn't address the parking & access issues or vastly improve match day & non match day incomes.

I love our stadium & ideally i'd like us to stay but despite the millions it will cost to relocate I would have thought that if DC is here for the long haul & wants to maximise his investment then he will seriously be looking at relocation.

Edited by mogbad

3 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Certainly the 'Vast majority' can probably walk 15 minutes, but many like myself are unable to do so. Take my own position, and there are many like myself. I have been a ST holder for many years, been watching Wednesday for SEVENTY years, have made a group of friends of the people who sit nearby and don't want to change my seat. I have NEVER lived any closer to Sheffield than Hoyland (In my youth) and now live in Buxton. My friends and I travel to all home matches by the only feasible route - by car. All three of us are to some extent disabled. I personally use two sticks and walk with difficulty.We need to know that there is a car parking place available before setting off on our hour-long journey each way, and that it is close by the ground. The Wednesdayite Car Park has been a boon to us, and great compliments need to be paid to the VOUNTEERS who run it, and are often unable to see the full match for their duties.

I would not be averse to public transport werethere some whereto park prior (P&R), but unless you live in the sheffield area, Public Transport is a joke! Anticipating this closure, we have been asking questions of the club prior to its demise, to little effect.

So, Please, Locals, don't be so sanctimonious. You are not the only Wednesdayites. Incidentally, travelling home from the night games so frequent this season, I have noticed many cars, parking in and around the ground, which get away from the ground only to turn off into relatively nearby streets.

Hallelujah a voice of reason!

4 hours ago, UTO1867 said:

Maybe not but before the car park you could park just about where you wanted, now you cant park where you want and you will have an extra 600 cars plus the cars that park on the path in front of the car park trying to find a spot on top of the cars that already park.

If people cant see that is going to cause problems then i am truly amazed.

I've been driving for 30 odd years and there has never ever been a time during that period when you could park just about where you wanted.

there are the odd exceptions but generally there are solutions to folks problems.....people are just being too lazy to look for them or want something to beat the club with

3 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Park at the middlewood road tram terminus and catch the tram back to the top of Leppings lane....depending on where you sit it's about as close as the wednesdayite car park.

next