Thanks for the memories Carlos

5 hours ago, Holmes said:

As a collective you bottled it when we hit a bad patch, whiich coincided with some of our big hitters missing. 

I have no doubt that should we not make promotion then much of that collective will again be lightening the torches and grabbing the pitchforks demanding CC head on platter..

To sack him would be the height of folly as he is has put down some strong foudations which if a new manager came along would no doubt rip apart and start the whole process again.  

The manager would only get a season by the collectives reasoning as if he didnt progress ( automatic) then he must be sacked to satisfy their blood lust.

CC record and achievements should be applauded and not given such short shrift again.

Thankfully we have an owner who seems to realisle and understands CC strengths, and looks at the big picture.

Arsenal will never win the European Cup with Wenger in charge. That doesn't make Wenger a bad manager, it makes him the wrong manager for Arsenal. He'd be fine at Real Madrid or Barcelona, but clubs of Arsenal's and Chelsea's size/resources need a Mourinho if they are to win it. I don't think Hughton is a better manager than Benitez; but he's a better manager for Brighton.

What we've had here this season, in essence, is a Wenger doing a Mourinho. In other words, a manager who's not playing his natural game, the game he best understands. That's why many performances were disjointed in spite of the quality players we have. Even without Lee and Hooper, we were still a very strong team compared to most. We saw Carlos in his element against Norwich this season, and against Arsenal last. That's how he'd play if he could every week. "I'd rather win a game 10-9..."

You can equally turn the tables and say that if we get promoted Carlos has done a good job getting a team up, playing a brand of football that's not really his thing. It cuts two ways.

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Arsenal will never win the European Cup with Wenger in charge. That doesn't make Wenger a bad manager, it makes him the wrong manager for Arsenal. He'd be fine at Real Madrid or Barcelona, but clubs of Arsenal's and Chelsea's size/resources need a Mourinho if they are to win it. I don't think Hughton is a better manager than Benitez; but he's a better manager for Brighton.

What we've had here this season, in essence, is a Wenger doing a Mourinho. In other words, a manager who's not playing his natural game, the game he best understands. That's why many performances were disjointed in spite of the quality players we have. Even without Lee and Hooper, we were still a very strong team compared to most. We saw Carlos in his element against Norwich this season, and against Arsenal last. That's how he'd play if he could every week. "I'd rather win a game 10-9..."

You can equally turn the tables and say that if we get promoted Carlos has done a good job getting a team up, playing a brand of football that's not really his thing. It cuts two ways.

No, we had a CC being more pragmatic realising that you can't play football fantasy every game sometimes you have to grind out results.  

My argument against the mob was the short term mentality of going through a bad patch and then screaming blue murder to get rid of him, It was painful to read some of these threads on here and made me realise why most of my Wednesday following mates have a poor opinion of OT that it can be a great deal source of embarrassment to them as fans.  The wider fan base seemed to hold their nerve, no Carlos out chants or silly demonstrations unlike on OT when 'fans' were making some ridiculous claims.

I would make the claim that CC has already done a good job of getting us into the top six for the second season in a row and should be encouraged to stay regardless of promotion.  His record in only two seasons is stunning and I can't honestly see where you will get a better manager. And my mantra is that the next manager will only get one season if he fails to deliver in his first season then he is out.  That's the pressure the mob are putting on him already.  

5 hours ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

So  a guaranteed higher league position with more points as it is now, is "acceptable" how very magnanimous of you. 

Good Lord, think about it BA! It's not rocket science......is it?

1 hour ago, Holmes said:

No, we had a CC being more pragmatic realising that you can't play football fantasy every game sometimes you have to grind out results.  

My argument against the mob was the short term mentality of going through a bad patch and then screaming blue murder to get rid of him, It was painful to read some of these threads on here and made me realise why most of my Wednesday following mates have a poor opinion of OT that it can be a great deal source of embarrassment to them as fans.  The wider fan base seemed to hold their nerve, no Carlos out chants or silly demonstrations unlike on OT when 'fans' were making some ridiculous claims.

I would make the claim that CC has already done a good job of getting us into the top six for the second season in a row and should be encouraged to stay regardless of promotion.  His record in only two seasons is stunning and I can't honestly see where you will get a better manager. And my mantra is that the next manager will only get one season if he fails to deliver in his first season then he is out.  That's the pressure the mob are putting on him already.  

we had a CC being more pragmatic realising that you can't play football fantasy every game sometimes you have to grind out results.  

Exactly. The non-parachute clubs have to do that. Look at 'Boro last season. My argument was that Carlos isn't Karanka by nature.

Carlos has proven that he can beat teams with better players if they let us play. With Leeds out of the equation, the teams left in the play-offs all knock the ball around. Stam tried spoiling tactics at Hillsborough, but Hooper and Lee would make that more difficult to achieve. Fulham score lots of goals, but they let them in too. If they go on all-out attack it could play into our hands.

I was probably in the minority who still believed in Carlos during our little stutter. One thing I will say is that I was fortunate to attend a club function a few days before the Norwich game at home. 

Carlos and Bully answered a number of questions, in an honest a forthright manner. What was interesting from that was what Carlos said about the team. He wholeheartedly stated that the upcoming international break would see the team perform in a much more effective and positive way. He cited the loss of key players (Lee, Hooper) in particular that greatly affected how the team played. He praised those players coming in to fill the void, and stated they were good players, but that they had different attributes to those out injured, and as a result our style of play had to be adapted to suit them, and their qualities.

In fairness, Carlos was right, he managed to galvanise the squad, eek out results, and when his lynchpins returned, the style and quality of football approached something more akin to last season.

We all have opinions, but Carlos has toughed it out, and he remains a coach who I firmly believe will bring this club back into the Premiership.

4 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Exactly. The non-parachute clubs have to do that. Look at 'Boro last season. My argument was that Carlos isn't Karanka by nature.

Carlos has proven that he can beat teams with better players if they let us play. With Leeds out of the equation, the teams left in the play-offs all knock the ball around. Stam tried spoiling tactics at Hillsborough, but Hooper and Lee would make that more difficult to achieve. Fulham score lots of goals, but they let them in too. If they go on all-out attack it could play into our hands.

Agree with all this. If we don't go up this year we should kick ourselves all through the close season. Will probably never have a better opportunity of bagging those 200 million spondoolics. We are the only team in the Play offs who, at the start of the season,  anyone would have expected to be there come the business end of the season...

Edited by Almat

15 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

we had a CC being more pragmatic realising that you can't play football fantasy every game sometimes you have to grind out results.  

So why were you calling for his head?  (You was, wasn't you lol?)

12 minutes ago, Almat said:

Agree with all this. If we don't go up this year we should kick ourselves all through the close season. Will probably never have a better opportunity of bagging those 200 million spondoolics. We are the only team in the Play offs who, at the start of the season,  anyone would have expected to be there come the business end of the season...

Thanks to CC

Blimey, log on to Owlstalk and see this thread at the top.  Gasps.  For a moment I'm thinking something bad has happened - yes, Carlos leaving now would be bad.

While I'm on.  I think we should be favourites to go up.  But we should not be odds on favourites.  So we are more likely to fail than succeed.  If that happens, all we can do is move on.  This is never gonna be easy.

For me the target this year was something around the 80 point mark which we have achieved. It sets us up for an automatic tilt next year if we don't go up via the playoffs (which I think we will).

For me one of the most important things is that Carlos has shown he can deliver when the pressure is on. 6 games ago we looked like we may well have missed out on the playoffs and the heat was on. Had that slump continued and we missed out the questions would rightly have been asked. But he delivered when he needed to.

I think a lot of the criticism Carlos has received this year has been unfair. A lot of people questioned our recruitment but the majority of our signings have now shown their worth even if its taken time for them to find form. 

The questions about his style of play seem unfair in retrospect. The combination of the loss of Hooper and Lee probably affected us more than we realised and we had to be pragmatic to cope without them. Also teams often haven't allowed us to play like we did last year and again we've had to be pragmatic to make sure we got the points rather than exciting the fans.

FFS, my most popular ever Owlstalk thread lol

Some on here really are perfect fannies aren't they?

I made a post after a few beers when I was emotional because we had lost, we were rubbish and it looked difficult to make the top 6.  We were playing badly, end of.  Up to that point we should have been doing better.

Carlos has won 6 in a row that nobody saw coming and we are now assured of the play offs and everything is rosey again.

What I really do laugh it is all the negs my OP has attracted over the last week from posters who read it after the Reading match and didn't bother negging it then.  The hindsight brigade.

That's the thing though about football, nobody knows.  For all we know a new manager might have won the last 7 not the last 6.

Likewise if we had messed up the last 6 nobody would be able to say with any certainty a new manager would've done better.

We just do not know.  Maybe our chances are better in the play offs with Carlos in charge.  Maybe they would be better with a different manager, we do not know.

What is clear, is that with 81 points Carlos has met expectations and now deserves to keep his job. I am sorry Carlos.  I apologise 1000 times over.

But jeez, some of you. I hope you never questioned Brunt, Whelan or Antonio.  I hope you weren't calling for Forestieri to leave.  I hope you all knew that we were going to win 6 in a row.  I hope you have never got a prediction in football wrong.

I also hope that you all realise that all Wednesday fans who called for Carlos to be sacked are absolutely gutted because we all prefer to be right over Wednesday winning. I was praying for Leeds and Ipswich to turn it around just so I could come on here with my anonymous pseudonym and crow about how right I was.  This has spoiled my year.

Only on Owlstalk could people prefer to drudge this up than keep the numerous positive threads about promotion up.

*Waits for one of usual Wind Up Merchant to come up with sarcastic quote and quip.  Probably about me hating to be wrong. lol

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

7 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

FFS, my most popular ever Owlstalk thread lol

Some on here really are perfect fannies aren't they?

I made a post after a few beers when I was emotional because we had lost, we were rubbish and it looked difficult to make the top 6.  We were playing badly, end of.  Up to that point we should have been doing better.

Carlos has won 6 in a row that nobody saw coming and we are now assured of the play offs and everything is rosey again.

What I really do laugh it is all the negs my OP has attracted over the last week from posters who read it after the Reading match and didn't bother negging it then.  The hindsight brigade.

That's the thing though about football, nobody knows.  For all we know a new manager might have won the last 7 not the last 6.

Likewise if we had messed up the last 6 nobody would be able to say with any certainty a new manager would've done better.

We just do not know.  Maybe our chances are better in the play offs with Carlos in charge.  Maybe they would be better with a different manager, we do not know.

What is clear, is that with 81 points Carlos has met expectations and now deserves to keep his job. I am sorry Carlos.  I apologise 1000 times over.

But jeez, some of you. I hope you never questioned Brunt, Whelan or Antonio.  I hope you weren't calling for Forestieri to leave.  I hope you all knew that we were going to win 6 in a row.  I hope you have never got a prediction in football wrong.

I also hope that you all realise that all Wednesday fans who called for Carlos to be sacked are absolutely gutted because we all prefer to be right over Wednesday winning. I was praying for Leeds and Ipswich to turn it around just so I could come on here with my anonymous pseudonym and crow about how right I was.  This has spoiled my year.

Only on Owlstalk could people prefer to drudge this up than keep the numerous positive threads about promotion up.

*Waits for one of usual Wind Up Merchant to come up with sarcastic quote and quip.  Probably about me hating to be wrong. lol

If you live by the sword you die by the sword.

Stab, stab, stab and another few for good luck stab, stab, stab.

It's a witch hunt. Those who expressed any doubts about Carlos in the course of the season are being ruthlessly harried from pillar to post. lolIncidentally, off topic, I see that we are Brighton fans' least favoured team to join them in the PL. They even put us behind Leeds. It's exceedingly unsporting of them.

1 minute ago, Athelwulf said:

It's a witch hunt. Those who expressed any doubts about Carlos in the course of the season are being ruthlessly harried from pillar to post. lolIncidentally, off topic, I see that we are Brighton fans' least favoured team to join them in the PL. They even put us behind Leeds. It's exceedingly unsporting of them.

Burn the witch!!! and a few stabbings to

We actually are probably going to end up in the position we should be in. The fact we have had a great 6 win run after the terrible 7 games run just makes it look like we have in some way over-achieved. We haven't. And before anyone accuses me of moaning, I'm absolutely ecstatic about the 6 win run and the fact we've given ourselves a great chance of the Promised Land given the other 3 PO teams. We really do now need to go up, will probably never have a better opportunity...

14 minutes ago, Holmes said:

If you live by the sword you die by the sword.

Stab, stab, stab and another few for good luck stab, stab, stab.

Don't think many people would be on here if nobody ever stuck their neck out and gave an opinion.

You'll not get through with a sword I have deflector shields the Starship Enterprise would aspire to.  lol