Sasso

Guest RocketOwl

Just now, stocksyuto said:

You judge him on the last game hes played by the soundsnofnit if your going to slate him why not pick out lees mistakes? Loovens? Hutchinson? All made mistakes they are human and not perfect

he made a simple mistake but it wasnt just his fault the ball bounced off 2 others players 1 which was on the goal line and it still went in 

Hes a back up nothing else but hes a decent back up doesnt deserve to get slated for 1 error

This exactly. There is no way that shot should have got beyond 2 defenders on the line, it was such a tame effort. Overall a very poor goal to give away from the entire defense and very out of character over last 10 games or so.

Guest RocketOwl
Just now, StudentOwl said:

Here's some fun facts (rather than opinions for you)

Tackles per game

Lees: 0.6

Loovens: 1

Sasso: 2

Interceptions per game

Lees: 1.8

Loovens: 1.4

Sasso: 1.7

Clearances per game

Lees: 7.3

Loovens: 5.5

Sasso: 5.6

Passing success (%)

Lees: 76.6

Loovens: 84.8

Sasso: 77.3

Aerial battles per game

Lees: Won- 5.1, Lost- 2.4

Loovens: Won- 2.1, Lost- 1.4

Sasso: Won-1.3, Lost- 2.1

Seems to me he's perfectly proficient at everything except the aerial battle. That's key and important for a CB, but again... third choice...

The aerial battle being my constant and main criticism of him.

quite crucial for a centre back.....

Guest RocketOwl
Just now, S_W_F_C said:

Be interested to know if the OP went yesterday as he wouldn't be slating him if he did. Westwood made a gaff, nearly got a red card yet he is a hero.

Sasso played well yesterday leave him alone 

Westwood made a mistake and made up for his own mistake.

Just now, RocketOwl said:

Westwood made a mistake and made up for his own mistake.

What the hell does that mean? 

Surely Sasso made up for his mistake by playing his part in ensuring that we didn't concede another goal afterwards? 

What was the score again? 

28 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Sasso made a mistake yesterday and it cost a goal fair enough. The rest of the game he was excellent 

Made a mistake before the penalty too going to ground and not being able to recover when his attempt at a clearance ricocheted forward.

Not looking to castigate though. 

In Sasso I can see a good player , but be honest everyone on here he HAS surprised us

, well me anyway just how well he has fitted in but I also remember his display at Wigan

and we were a little sceptical when we saw him starting hes been good cover but Lees overall is better

goodness me people were saying hes England class not so long ago , I don't think he is that good though

The overall situation is that none of our defenders is perfect.  All of them have made mistakes at times through this season.  Some of those mistakes have cost us goals, others haven't.  If Lees is fit, I would certainly go with him and Loovens as the first choice centre back pairing.  However, Sasso is a more than capable deputy and in fact he is probably better and more constructive when bringing the ball out of defence and finding a Wednesday player with his forward passes.  For me he's done well when he has played and the unexpected goals from him last Tuesday where a massive bonus and kept the winning running.

8 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Why would they have to happy with just a few starts? 

Have Fletcher, Winnall and Rhodes come and signed knowing we already have FF and Hooper with that attitude??

Any new centre back would have been signed as competition with Lees and Loovens like any other position. No one should be guaranteed starting and you could argue Lees sloppy start to the season was because he had no one pushing for his shirt.

Also any new siging will few,Isle Loovens is getting on a bit and it's only a matter of time before they would be a regular anyway. 

Duffy from Blackburn would have been a logical signing.

Are you just conveniently forgetting we seemed to go hard for Hanley, then backed out when we couldn't compete and only signed Sasso after he signed for Newcastle? Seems to me we tried to do exactly what you did (albeit for Hanley instead of Duffy). 

At the end of the day, once that deal fell through it became clear we were going for a backup CB. If we went for your option, I have no doubt that you or someone else would be on here complaining about our lack of a settled CB pairing and "why is Carlos constantly rotating the centre backs" blah blah blah. CB and GK are the positions you rarely rotate because you want a settled core that understand each other very well in that position. 

As for the future, working on the assumption we're a Champ side next season, I'd absolutely want an upgrade/younger model of Loovens and have Glen as third choice and Sasso (with a new one year contract) as fourth choice. But in terms of this season, right here and now, especially after our failed transfer attempt for Hanley in CB... we could have done no better than Sasso after how things played out in summer. 

29 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

No my main point is Sasso is not very good. No agenda just an observation.

Lees plays with assurance, Sasso doesn't. Lees wins 90% of his headers throughout the game, Sasso is powderpuff at headers. He has ability on the ball and is good at attacking corners, but it's astonishing anyone can think he is anywhere near the standard of Tom Lees.

WUM.

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Are you just conveniently forgetting we seemed to go hard for Hanley, then backed out when we couldn't compete and only signed Sasso after he signed for Newcastle? Seems to me we tried to do exactly what you did (albeit for Hanley instead of Duffy). 

At the end of the day, once that deal fell through it became clear we were going for a backup CB. If we went for your option, I have no doubt that you or someone else would be on here complaining about our lack of a settled CB pairing and "why is Carlos constantly rotating the centre backs" blah blah blah. CB and GK are the positions you rarely rotate because you want a settled core that understand each other very well in that position. 

As for the future, working on the assumption we're a Champ side next season, I'd absolutely want an upgrade/younger model of Loovens and have Glen as third choice and Sasso (with a new one year contract) as fourth choice. But in terms of this season, right here and now, especially after our failed transfer attempt for Hanley in CB... we could have done no better than Sasso after how things played out in summer. 

I agree with the majority of that.

I am not sure how hard ultimately they tried in getting a new centre back in. At the time it seemed money was used as the excuse, yet we go out and sign Rhodes In the last window.

Duffy cost circa 2.5million. A shame we didn't attempt to sign him for that.

Just now, Andoverowl said:

Tom Lees is far superior to VS in the air but Sasso is by far the better all round footballer.

And that's pretty much the end of it

I don't think anyone on here would say they want Sasso over Lees, because although I think Sasso has got the better distribution patterns, Lees is just so much more solid. 

But to have a good footballing CB as third choice that would still walk into the starting XI of any of the bottom 6/8 teams in this league... you can't complain about that. 

(Or evidently you can, apparently)

RocketOwls post from the Jordan Rhodes thread (he's slating JR in that one btw):

Couldn't make it unfortunately.

I always support the lads at games, even Sasso. 

Just because I share a view on here doesn't mean I go into games berating these players. Once they go over the line I am behind them. This is what forums are for sharing opinions.

Just now, RocketOwl said:

I agree with the majority of that.

I am not sure how hard ultimately they tried in getting a new centre back in. At the time it seemed money was used as the excuse, yet we go out and sign Rhodes In the last window.

Duffy cost circa 2.5million. A shame we didn't attempt to sign him for that.

Now that bit I agree entirely with. 

But alas, we have to make do with our approach (or at least partial interest) in Hanley and then how events ultimately played out

Sasso has been a more than competent replacement, sure you can highlight solitary mistakes...Lees played the Wigan forward through for their goal at Hillsborough, every defender has that in them, its simply nitpicking....4 wins in a row can only be achieved in this division by a competent side, that includes defense, midfield and atack

1 minute ago, RocketOwl said:

Seriously?

wind up merchant stating Tom Lees is better then Sasso. ok.

No, you said Sasso isn't very good.

If the whole point of your thread is to tell us Lees is better than Sasso, congratulations on pointing out the obvious.

Thought about starting a thread telling us Rhodes is better than Nuhiu?