Sasso

Guest RocketOwl

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

He's a good third choice when the opposition are mid table/bottom half.

You will see my point if he ever plays in a game against one of our fellow top 6 teams. That is my concern.

It all boils down to a fairly simple question:

Who would you propose Sheffield Wednesday should have signed this season instead of Sasso to act as third choice CB? They need to be better than Sasso (clearly), and they'll need to be happy with maybe half a dozen starts in an entire season with maybe another half a dozen sub appearances on top of that.

I'm pretty sure none exist, although if you could name a couple I'd be happy to say I'm wrong. 

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

MNakes my blood boil when I see defenders trying to play football in those circumstances.

There are times when to play that way, and times when not to and testerday was the time to clear your lines.

Yep this is very true but how about, when a keeper drops a cross, or gives away pens because they are too slow off their line. Or when a striker misses a 1 on 1. Its football and it happens. You can bet next time, he will welly it clear. Most players learn from their mistakes.

6 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

MNakes my blood boil when I see defenders trying to play football in those circumstances.

There are times when to play that way, and times when not to and testerday was the time to clear your lines.

The ball was moving fast enough to get over the line imo he made the right choice

just made a hash of ball management , perhaps he isn't nasty enough but the young Forest lad

shouldn't have got anywhere near the ball

2 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

I sort of agree, but it's the 'John Stones' debate isn't it.

Liera took the latter option every time and automatically gave the opposition possession which is a recipe for disaster.

I like Sasso, to say the pressure he's had to play under, with everyone expecting (and some wanting) him to fail, he's done especially well.

Not buying the huge gulf between him & Tom Lees that some are taking for granted.

Guest RocketOwl
5 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

It all boils down to a fairly simple question:

Who would you propose Sheffield Wednesday should have signed this season instead of Sasso to act as third choice CB? They need to be better than Sasso (clearly), and they'll need to be happy with maybe half a dozen starts in an entire season with maybe another half a dozen sub appearances on top of that.

I'm pretty sure none exist, although if you could name a couple I'd be happy to say I'm wrong. 

Why would they have to happy with just a few starts? 

Have Fletcher, Winnall and Rhodes come and signed knowing we already have FF and Hooper with that attitude??

Any new centre back would have been signed as competition with Lees and Loovens like any other position. No one should be guaranteed starting and you could argue Lees sloppy start to the season was because he had no one pushing for his shirt.

Also any new siging will few,Isle Loovens is getting on a bit and it's only a matter of time before they would be a regular anyway. 

Duffy from Blackburn would have been a logical signing.

Just now, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I take it you refrained due to him scoring 2 goals in his last outing? Take away his goals and the result is a 1-0 loss.

That game we gained 3pts due to him, yesterdays error cost us nothing. I'll take that contribution all the way to the end of the season thanks.

The way some "fans" have digs at players is pathetic.

Couldn't agree more. Tbf to the Forest player he did pretty wel to keep the ball in play; Sasso was obviously expecting it to roll into touch for a goal kick. These things happen and with luck it hasn't cost us anything other than a slightly inferior goal difference.

These players aren't machines, so mistakes happen. Even Loovens has been been guilty at times of dwelling on the ball and getting caught out. It's all part of the deal.

Leave Sasso alone he's doing a good job for the team.

Guest RocketOwl
4 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

I take it you refrained due to him scoring 2 goals in his last outing? Take away his goals and the result is a 1-0 loss.

That game we gained 3pts due to him, yesterdays error cost us nothing. I'll take that contribution all the way to the end of the season thanks.

The way some "fans" have digs at players is pathetic.

Apologies but the lasting checked this was a fans forum to discuss the team.

I was delighted Sasso scored two goals and won us points.

I am happy he is performing as well as he can, but I judge him on his defending.

Guest RocketOwl
Just now, dewsburyowl58 said:

I think you are over reacting to the op comments , he is hardly saying Sasso is

useless just that Lees is better and I agree with him on that

At last someone with a brain.

4 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Apologies but the lasting checked this was a fans forum to discuss the team.

I was delighted Sasso scored two goals and won us points.

I am happy he is performing as well as he can, but I judge him on his defending.

You judge him on the last game hes played by the sounds of it if your going to slate him why not pick out lees mistakes? Loovens? Hutchinson? All made mistakes they are human and not perfect

he made a simple mistake but it wasnt just his fault the ball bounced off 2 others players 1 which was on the goal line and it still went in 

Hes a back up nothing else but hes a decent back up and yea lees is our number 1 choice but doesnt deserve to get slated for 1 error

Edited by stocksyuto

Here's some fun facts (rather than opinions for you)

Tackles per game

Lees: 0.6

Loovens: 1

Sasso: 2

Interceptions per game

Lees: 1.8

Loovens: 1.4

Sasso: 1.7

Clearances per game

Lees: 7.3

Loovens: 5.5

Sasso: 5.6

Passing success (%)

Lees: 76.6

Loovens: 84.8

Sasso: 77.3

Aerial battles per game

Lees: Won- 5.1, Lost- 2.4

Loovens: Won- 2.1, Lost- 1.4

Sasso: Won-1.3, Lost- 2.1

Seems to me he's perfectly proficient at everything except the aerial battle. That's key and important for a CB, but again... third choice...

Guest RocketOwl
4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

So basically you waited until he made a mistake to slate the bloke. 

Well done you. 

Where were you on Tuesday night when he basically won us the match? 

Hmmm.

not really. Been saying quite regularly I feared he was our 3rd choice centre.

I merely mentioned his mistake as it backed up my previous concerns.

People don't seem to grasp my point, and are getting all emotional about an apparent slating of a player. I do t hate Sasso I just fear we need a better centre back then him as direct cover.

Just now, stocksyuto said:

You judge him on the last game hes played by the soundsnofnit if your going to slate him why not pick out lees mistakes? Loovens? Hutchinson? All made mistakes they are human and not perfect

he made a simple mistake but it wasnt just his fault the ball bounced off 2 others players 1 which was on the goal line and it still went in 

Hes a back up nothing else but hes a decent back up doesnt deserve to get slated for 1 error

Exactly. 

I don't think anyone is going to sit here and disagree with the view that Lees is first choice over Sasso. 

Thing is the OP has framed his point by slating Sasso (who made a mistake). 

Always the same on here. 

Can't just rate a player - you have to slate the person they replace.