The Westwood penalty incident

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

As John Newsome said on Radio Sheffield the new rules are double jeopardy which means if you get a penalty you must only receive a yellow card and not get the red card of old.

Its not that straight forward. Its still red if the offence is holding pulling or pushing (upper body type offences), if the offence warrants red anyway taking dogso out of the equation that is Serious foul play or violent conduct or if the defender has no chance of playing the ball. 

55 minutes ago, aeroswfc said:

If that was Nottingham Forest keeper. 

We'd feel same way. 

Only occasion I can think of was Preston at home when Buckley was taken out.  That was a punch at head height long after the ball was gone. Our argument at the time was that it was dangerous play and /or no genuine attempt.

Remember Hutchinson was red carded and a penalty given at home to Bristol City because it was deemed the handball wasn't a genuine attempt.

As for outside the box, it's a red card, regardless of if its a genuine attempt. So old rules.

Bit lucky to escape with a Yellow Card as I didn't think KW had a hope of getting that ball. Hunt was covering and could therefore have been the reason a Red Card wasn't given. However, quite a few times a defender has been sent off when there has been no cover, the so called last man scenario, except for the goalkeeper. I find it interesting that  when the keeper comes out and there is just a defender left it doesn't result in a sending off. Not complaining but we do seem to be having fortune on our side in recent matches.

If the penalty had gone in a Forest had won the match, Forest fans wouldn't be crying into their babycham. 

There's a reason McCormack is at Forest, because he ain't what he used to be. 

Definitely a yellow card by the laws of the game. 

Do you know what, I couldn't care less if it was a red card or not. I'm just sick of some of the media sheading a tear for Forest because it was only a yellow. Well its not like we haven't had the outcome we've wanted in previous games is it? Prime example QPR away last season, I still say to this day that ref had been given a backhand wad of cash off QPR or had bet his life savings on the game finishing 0-0.

9 hours ago, mark77 said:

Only occasion I can think of was Preston at home when Buckley was taken out.  That was a punch at head height long after the ball was gone. Our argument at the time was that it was dangerous play and /or no genuine attempt.

Remember Hutchinson was red carded and a penalty given at home to Bristol City because it was deemed the handball wasn't a genuine attempt.

As for outside the box, it's a red card, regardless of if its a genuine attempt. So old rules.

In my opinion Hutchinson slipped against Bristol City.....

15 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Bit lucky to escape with a Yellow Card as I didn't think KW had a hope of getting that ball. Hunt was covering and could therefore have been the reason a Red Card wasn't given. However, quite a few times a defender has been sent off when there has been no cover, the so called last man scenario, except for the goalkeeper. I find it interesting that  when the keeper comes out and there is just a defender left it doesn't result in a sending off. Not complaining but we do seem to be having fortune on our side in recent matches.

New season, New rules.

13 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Preston keeper yellow at Hillsborough was the same. 

I was gonna say I'm sure it happened at hillsborough for the opposition. 

I think Westwood was a bit lucky. But I think he made all the right choices. I'd have done the same. And he did say he'd done his homework on penalties so knew which way to dive. 

14 hours ago, soldierboyblue said:

As John Newsome said on Radio Sheffield the new rules are double jeopardy which means if you get a penalty you must only receive a yellow card and not get the red card of old.

Not strictly true. If the foul is deemed deliberate then you can be sent off. The ref must have thought Westwood was making a genuine attempt for the ball and brought the man down. Old rules red. New only a yellow. If however someone was through and clearly hacked and deliberately down in box to prevent va goal scoring opportunity then could be a red still.